Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the idea he would be a squad option pretty ridiculous tbh. Did anyone see our centre halves this season?

He's far better than all of them. He's wouldn't be sitting on the bench behind Holgate, Godfrey or Keane
I think it's very difficult to say that with any certainty because they've been playing in different teams. He's the same age as Keane and Keane has unarguably had the better career so the idea that Tarkowski is clearly better doesn't really seem to hold up to much scrutiny. Again, i'm not necessarily against it myself, but making out like it's a no brainer is just stupid, there are very good reasons to be cautious about it.

All of them qualities you quoted were also the ones Ashley Williams possessed, look how that turned out.

Yup and it's why you can't predict any transfer as working out no matter how much sense it seems to make until you look back at it

Williams in theory was a correct transfer at the time.

All of them qualities you quoted were also the ones Ashley Williams possessed, look how that turned out.

Ashley Williams had a terrible attitude to be fair

Maybe this Tarkowski fellow doesn't?

I can't say I pay too much attention to Burnley aside from when they play us so I'm not really sure

I do think that spending what we're reported to be considering to spend on this dudes wages probably doesn't represent good value for money, but I guess we'll see

53 goals.

Around the same number as West Ham and better than Man Utd.

Burnley's issue was goal scoring.
Would you want Harry McGuire then? I wouldn't. I'd suggest that scoring goals wasn't Burnley's only problem that's why they've been relegated. Plus i bet their keepers weren't making half a dozen worldies every game just to keep them in games.

I can't say I pay too much attention to Burnley aside from when they play us so I'm not really sure

I do think that spending what we're reported to be considering to spend on this dudes wages probably doesn't represent good value for money, but I guess we'll see

One thing I like is that Lampard seems to have a good grasp on mentality of players, and he wanted him at Chelsea, so must see his attitude as being a very good one

I do think that spending what we're reported to be considering to spend on this dudes wages probably doesn't represent good value for money, but I guess we'll se

What people also tend to forget is that players who let their contact run down usually ask for a large signing on fee.

I think it's very difficult to say that with any certainty because they've been playing in different teams. He's the same age as Keane and Keane has unarguably had the better career so the idea that Tarkowski is clearly better doesn't really seem to hold up to much scrutiny. Again, i'm not necessarily against it myself, but making out like it's a no brainer is just stupid, there are very good reasons to be cautious about it.

I've watched them over the last couple of seasons and he's just clearly a better defender.

Burnley had a top 10 defence and went down because they were toothless. We were in a relegation fight mainly because we were abysmal in defence. We conceded 66 goals - absolutely crazy

I don't rate any of our centre halves. They are really poor for this level.

Please no to this one. Yet another defender for a team thats let loads of goals in and been relegated. Not saying just cos he's been relegated but come on our scouting has got to be better than looking at relegated clubs first surely.

You do know they conceded less than us dont you?

I've watched them over the last couple of seasons and he's just clearly a better defender.

Burnley had a top 10 defence and went down because they were toothless. We were in a relegation fight mainly because we were abysmal in defence. We conceded 66 goals - absolutely crazy
That wasn't just because of the centre halves though, that's the point. Burnley play a defensive system where they don't leave gaps and everybody is well drilled in the plan because they've been doing it every week for the last 5/6 years. Our centre halves were changing partners, formations, managers etc every 5 minutes and had no protection from their midfield, it's just impossible to compare that way.

As i've already said (and should be obvious to anyone who watched Burnley as much as you apparently did) them being solid defensively and toothless in attack isn't a coincidence, it's directly linked to how they play and has been their MO for years. Worth noting that even then, Tarkowski has been a mainstay in defence that has conceded more than that 'crazy' 66 in a season in the past.

That wasn't just because of the centre halves though, that's the point. Burnley play a defensive system where they don't leave gaps and everybody is well drilled in the plan because they've been doing it every week for the last 5/6 years. Our centre halves were changing partners, formations, managers etc every 5 minutes and had no protection from their midfield, it's just impossible to compare that way. As i've already said (and should be obvious to anyone who watched Burnley as much as you apparently did) them being solid defensively and toothless in attack isn't a coincidence, it's directly linked to how they play and has been their MO for years. Worth noting that even then, Tarkowski has been a mainstay in defence that has conceded more than that 'crazy' 66 in a season in the past.

I don't think we should play like Burnley but their style is closer to what we should be playing than what lots of posters seem to want. We shouldn't ever be playing a really high line. We are at our best when we are direct and get the ball forward quickly. I don't think Everton will ever be good as a passive, possession based side.

We need defenders firstly who can compete physically and in the air. Our record from set plays this year shows we don't have that at the minute.

I don't rate any of our centre halves. They are really poor for this level.

Mina is fine when he can stay fit for longer than 5 minutes

The rest are so-so at best though

I think Branthwaite can still improve as well

Status
Not open for further replies.