Fans in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact you openly wanted us to lose to City and Chelsea in order to scupper Liverpool is, as far as I can tell, a good definition for 'undermined'
You were openly supporting Benitez ripping the club apart, his best stat being 'more people fired than games won'
Most of us gave him a chance, but could see clearly he was negative, destructive, completely devoid of fresh ideas, living on past laurels and arrogant to boot.
You continued to support him up to the last because you enjoyed the wanton, directionless breaking up of staff and sacking off of our most creative players
Don't talk about 'undermining' as if you didn't. If your conscience is clear, it is broken!
Terrible post. Just a caricature.

The bottom line that all reasonable Evertonians know this: if this club had unity from day one of the season and the manager (whomever that was) had been backed by the fans, the players wouldn't have folded so easily in handfuls of games and we'd be nearer mid-table than the bottom right now.

Any honest appraisal of this season would include that fundamental feature of it.

The purists wanted Benitez out...they wanted it done before Christmas, they didn't get that and we have seen a new manager handed only 6 PLs so far to save us and it hasnt worked out yet.

I will never accept any other explanation for this season's collapse.

Last edited:
Our crowd is a mood crowd, when we are good we are brilliant, when we are bad we are really toxic but people have had enough of being a laughing stock, half arsed performances by players and the ridiculous money they earn.

Footballers are much better athletes these days but they're much worse footballers and the quality is dropping all the time because the top 6 have squads better than the rests' first teams almost. I can't identify with modern footballers, I think the money has properly killed a lot of what was good about the sport. It costs a fortune to watch a Premier League game, to then watch players barely break a sweat and not bleed for the shirt is galling imo.

If you aren't dripping with sweat and tired after a 90 you haven't worked hard enough, IK can forgive lac k of ability or technique but not working hard is unacceptable and fans have every right to vent frustration.

The bottom line that all reasonable Evertonians know this: if this club had unity from day one of the season and the manager (whomever that was) had been backed by the fans, the players wouldn't have folded so easily in handfuls of games and we'd be nearer mid-table than the bottom right now.

Any honest appraisal of this season would include that fundamental feature of it.

The purists wanted Benitez out...they wanted it done before Christmas, they didn't get that and we have seen a new manager handed only 6 PLs so far to save us and it hasnt worked out yet.

I will never accept any other explanation for this season's collapse.
Dave so you were asking for unconditional fan support? That's just not plausible , fans are affected by past affiliations, the general demeanor and conduct of the manager and players. Although there was a segment of indignation a lot of fans initially supported him maybe even begrudgingly but still backed him. This dumpster fire of a season was a result emanating from a dusty obstinate petty manager whose tactics were woeful and archaic. His combustible nature further sowed the fractures in our club not that fans didn't come together and hold hands with the players singing kumbaya its deluded to think otherwise. Yeah the fans can be overly demanding and hostile at times but they've also bolstered the team as well.

Dave so you were asking for unconditional fan support? That's just not plausible , fans are affected by past affiliations, the general demeanor and conduct of the manager and players. Although there was a segment of indignation a lot of fans initially supported him maybe even begrudgingly but still backed him. This dumpster fire of a season was a result emanating from a dusty obstinate petty manager whose tactics were woeful and archaic. His combustible nature further sowed the fractures in our club not that fans didn't come together and hold hands with the players singing kumbaya its deluded to think otherwise. Yeah the fans can be overly demanding and hostile at times but they've also bolstered the team as well.
I expect honesty concerning that.

There is a clear connection between the level and prolonged nature of the opposition to Benitez that it had to destabilise the club at some point if it went too far. It dod go too far and we are faced with this situation.

I expect honesty concerning that.

There is a clear connection between the level and prolonged nature of the opposition to Benitez that it had to destabilise the club at some point if it went too far. It dod go too far and we are faced with this situation.
So Benitez's inept and contentious reign and years of board mismanagement aren't factors in the derailment of the club? Its mainly due to the fans being obstinately resistant to Benitez?

Our crowd is a mood crowd, when we are good we are brilliant, when we are bad we are really toxic but people have had enough of being a laughing stock, half arsed performances by players and the ridiculous money they earn.

Footballers are much better athletes these days but they're much worse footballers and the quality is dropping all the time because the top 6 have squads better than the rests' first teams almost. I can't identify with modern footballers, I think the money has properly killed a lot of what was good about the sport. It costs a fortune to watch a Premier League game, to then watch players barely break a sweat and not bleed for the shirt is galling imo.

If you aren't dripping with sweat and tired after a 90 you haven't worked hard enough, IK can forgive lac k of ability or technique but not working hard is unacceptable and fans have every right to vent frustration.
What about our sick notes? Stealing thousands from this Club. Hard to call them athletes.

So Benitez's inept and contentious reign and years of board mismanagement aren't factors in the derailment of the club? Its mainly due to the fans being obstinately resistant to Benitez?
It has more to do with the fans reaction than Benitez's managerial skills. He breathed life into a worse Newcastle outfit than this Everton one.

With goodwill we wouldn't be in this mess right now.

Our crowd is a mood crowd
We were. I feel like that's gone now too. Wolves play acting had us riled up and then it just fizzled out to silence. Goodison in the past would've gone tribal and ended up snarling for 90 mins. It's dead. It's been dead for a long, long time (the odd game as an exception). Even away days are dead. Bouncing before the game and HT, then silence in the stands.

I'm so Jekyll and Hyde with my opinion on it all. Half of me agrees that the players/club need to give us something to shout about. The other half watches teams who are drab, still making noise all game and it frustrates me how we can count on one hand times the crowd have made an effort this season. (One of which was because of the protests)

Excellent and measured post as always @Groucho

As the Watford goalie Ben Foster said the other day: we Everton fans now have a reputation for being an asset… to the opposition. He said they love playing at Goodison.

The great Neville Southall saying on Twitter the other day that we fans have really got to be up for this Newcastle match and forget about what a debacle of a season it’s been. We’ve got to be behind our players from the first whistle until the last. Recriminations and post-mortems can come at the end of the season after we’ve stayed up. They are mentally weak and don’t respond to the sort of abuse and booing that has characterised our support over the last decade.

This is potentially one of the biggest game in our history.

Last edited:

Sadly you’re absolutely correct. We assume that players and managers are super-human and aren’t affected by unrest amongst the fans and booing and abuse etc. But that’s a fallacy.

I’m not saying we all need to be 100% positive all the time. Of course it’s ok to express bad feelings as well as good.

But the ones that are 100% negative all of the time need calling out in my opinion.

I mean, we’re leaning on Dave for positivity here. We’re through the looking glass people.

It's been a season of 100% negativity. Our worst in 20 odd years. The fans are just reacting to what they've been served up.

Don't know how anyone feels there's a need to have a go at the fans over their reaction to the utter mess we are in. The fans are the only part of the club that doesn't own any of this disaster.

It has more to do with the fans reaction than Benitez's managerial skills. He breathed life into a worse Newcastle outfit than this Everton one.

With goodwill we wouldn't be in this mess right now.
That’s the boards fault tho surely, he was never gonna get fully backed no matter what he did.
The club should never have been put in that position.
I reckon any other manager at all would have got more backing on the whole.
Even a worse manager than Benitez would have had us in a better position, just by having the backing and unity.

That’s the boards fault tho surely, he was never gonna get fully backed no matter what he did.
The club should never have been put in that position.
I reckon any other manager at all would have got more backing on the whole.
Even a worse manager than Benitez would have had us in a better position, just by having the backing and unity.
Well, he wasn't backed by fans when Moshiri made his own mistake and that compounded the situation and led us to almost being relegated.

Well done all round.

My conscience is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.