Match Thread Southampton v Everton Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we go down (god forbid), we ain’t coming straight back up again. We’d get pulverized by most of the teams in the championship. Talk about lack of desire and mental strength, those teams have it in droves - we have none of it!

Knew we should have sent the gang of useless carts in the plane. Wish a bit of luck it would have got swept away to another galaxy by the wind and we could have got a 50p insurance payout for the lot of them.

Lets forget all the other mistakes then in the build up to the goal and just blame Gomes.
The goalkeeper needs to look at himself. We need clean sheets on a regular basis.
The keeper was our best player.

There isn't any other mistakes other than Keane and Gomes

DVB yeah should have tried to go forward, but it wasn't a mistake by any means passing to holgate, who in turn didn't make a mistake passing to Keane, Keanes sloppy pass was a mistake, but even so gomes could have just booted first time into touch or to Pickford

He takes a shocking touch, is stuck on his heels like a slug and actually fouls their player

We lost that game, and Newcastle a few weeks ago because the players are mentally weak, they have been for ages. The moment things went against them Saturday they buckled BUT (I’m trying to see the positives) I do think things are slowly improving.

Under the last fella we were truly awful – like the worst I’ve seen us for a long LONG time. The players looked lost, uninterested and the minuscule points tally we did acquire, the few goals we did scored came from moments of individual brilliance rather than a team collective because the way we were set up was so negative the only way we’d get anything from games was if Gray, Gordon or Richie went rogue and tried to do it alone.

Now though, the two games we’ve won have been down to hard work and a style of play that the whole team committed too. It’s going to take time to get it consistent – time we don’t have thanks to the ineptitude of the board and owner failing to sack Benitez sooner, but I do think we’re improving, and the players will get better. The big worry is our away form which is non-existent and as I said at the start, the weak mentality to fold as soon as things get tough. If we don’t sort that out it will keep us down here because what Burnley, Watford, Brentford and Norwich lack in talent they will make up for in fight and determination and I genuinely worry that the closer we get to those last 10 games… if we aren’t clear of danger then our players could buckle under the pressure because they’ve never been in a mess like this before.

We started well Saturday – something we weren’t doing under Benitez and something we’ve done 3 out of 4 games under Frank so that’s a massive positive, we should have had a penalty and maybe something like that may have pushed the team on, but you could see the moment things weren’t going our way the players heads dropped – that’s been a problem for years, it’s one that Lampard and his team will need to solve to be successful.

I think we’ll be safe – I feel our remaining home matches will see us over the line and we’ll survive and then, hopefully with the worry of relegation out of the way and a few games remaining we can plan for the future, but the players need to step up now, it’s on them. They’ve got a new manager who’s giving them the freedom to express themselves on the pitch, he’s giving certain players, that probably don’t deserve a reprieve, a chance to show their worth too. They now need to pay him and the fans back.

It was another defeat by caused mental frailty.

I was very pleased how the game started as to be fair we did try to take the game to them and looked good at the start.

The VAR decision started the rot, how it was not given as a penalty is still baffling me, that would have been nailed on in any other game this season.

So instead of being 1-0 up we weren't and heads started dropping.
The killer was Allan's yellow, their player got him booked, the slide tackle was so late in this instance it was none bookable, the game should have continued but they made a meal out of it.

A then dodgy challenge by Allen took every bit of desire to make further challenges away from him, fearing the red.
I don't blame Frank for hooking him but to replace him with Gomes when heads were already down killed us.

It could have been so different.

We lost that game, and Newcastle a few weeks ago because the players are mentally weak, they have been for ages. The moment things went against them Saturday they buckled BUT (I’m trying to see the positives) I do think things are slowly improving.

Under the last fella we were truly awful – like the worst I’ve seen us for a long LONG time. The players looked lost, uninterested and the minuscule points tally we did acquire, the few goals we did scored came from moments of individual brilliance rather than a team collective because the way we were set up was so negative the only way we’d get anything from games was if Gray, Gordon or Richie went rogue and tried to do it alone.

Now though, the two games we’ve won have been down to hard work and a style of play that the whole team committed too. It’s going to take time to get it consistent – time we don’t have thanks to the ineptitude of the board and owner failing to sack Benitez sooner, but I do think we’re improving, and the players will get better. The big worry is our away form which is non-existent and as I said at the start, the weak mentality to fold as soon as things get tough. If we don’t sort that out it will keep us down here because what Burnley, Watford, Brentford and Norwich lack in talent they will make up for in fight and determination and I genuinely worry that the closer we get to those last 10 games… if we aren’t clear of danger then our players could buckle under the pressure because they’ve never been in a mess like this before.

We started well Saturday – something we weren’t doing under Benitez and something we’ve done 3 out of 4 games under Frank so that’s a massive positive, we should have had a penalty and maybe something like that may have pushed the team on, but you could see the moment things weren’t going our way the players heads dropped – that’s been a problem for years, it’s one that Lampard and his team will need to solve to be successful.

I think we’ll be safe – I feel our remaining home matches will see us over the line and we’ll survive and then, hopefully with the worry of relegation out of the way and a few games remaining we can plan for the future, but the players need to step up now, it’s on them. They’ve got a new manager who’s giving them the freedom to express themselves on the pitch, he’s giving certain players, that probably don’t deserve a reprieve, a chance to show their worth too. They now need to pay him and the fans back.
I would agree with most of your points here but would add that for us to win our remaining home games the fans have to be totally involved as well. The only chance we have this coming weekend is if the fans and the team come out raging and blow citeh away. It can be done.

I called it after the Leeds game. The best thing that could've happened to us in that game would've been to concede at some point. To see how they react and hopefully have the fans back them.

I walked out of GP made up, but saying "let's see when we concede" sure enough, we concede and fall apart again. The mentality is a massive issue and it's going to be our downfall. Too many players are fragile. Compare it to teams around us. We're in big trouble.

Let's hope the games at Goodison get us points.

I like your optimism mate. I really am concerned though. There is no steel in this team, more like tin foil.

Frank has a very tough job to do here.

I like your optimism mate. I really am concerned though. There is no steel in this team, more like tin foil.

Frank has a very tough job to do here.
that's my concern. These players had an outside chance of getting Europe last season and wilted the moment there was pressure. Christ knows how they'd react to a must win match to save their premierleague status.
The likes of Burnley and Newcastle know how to get out of this mess - we don't.

How have I lost my mind mate? What part of my original post irks you so much?
Well, you weirdly double quote everything, you said I repeated what you said when I categorically did not and you care more about the RS not winning the league than us being relegated. Otherwise, you seem sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.