Dr.Doom (Mourinho)

Do we want Mourinho?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pointing out he didn’t fail as miserably as people make out at United and Spurs, especially considering what’s occurred straight after him at both.

Given the low bar we are at at the moment, getting anywhere near those sort of things would be huge for us.

But we won’t get near any of those things will we? We’re not Manchester United, we’re Everton. You’re acting as if Mourinho built them up into a Europa League winning tour de force.

All my United supporting mates think he was an absolute disaster and that Solskjaer did a better job than him despite not winning anything.

I loved Mourinho PL-Mark-I immensely, used to follow Chelsea throughout his first jaunt in PL. Over a period of time his tactics were countered by others and he became jaded and a prisoner of his own hype.

One thing that is undoubted about him is that he knows how to set up teams, and yes, he is a little defense-oriented manager, but isn't that the biggest concern for us right now? Oh and of course he knows how to set up shape and create structure. His teams are not super defensive like, with sufficient data collection, I can probably tell you that his teams winning majority of the games 1-0 is kinda myth (I think). IIRC, he was amongst the first proponents (if not the originator) of the triangle movement up the pitch that made Makelele such a force to reckon with at CDM. It's only when things don't go his way, that becomes the "petulant one". If that somehow can be looked over/skipped/psyched out, he can be a great fit for us.

Prior to this season, I would have thought that he would not fancy Everton, not sexy enough for him, but after he chose to go to Roma, I do think he would not mind putting people in their place in England with another unfancied team a-la-Porto (I wish....)

2 year contract (Till end of 2022-23), with a caveat of binning him if he becomes the nasty-one, or the petulant-one or the grumpy-one.

But we won’t get near any of those things will we? We’re not Manchester United, we’re Everton.

All my United supporting mates think he was an absolute disaster and that Solskjaer did a better job than him despite not winning anything.

I’m not saying he’d be perfect but if the requirement is keeping us up this season, then changing the culture of the squad then I think he’d be better suited than a lot of the other options.

But we won’t get near any of those things will we? We’re not Manchester United, we’re Everton.

As bad as Mourinho is these days, he's not quite on the same level of being [Poor language removed] as Lolskjaer. He has a relegation on his CV FFS! (Cardiff)

I’m not saying he’d be perfect but if the requirement is keeping us up this season, then changing the culture of the squad then I think he’d be better suited than a lot of the other options.

Well Ancelotti and Benitez couldn’t “change the culture of the squad”. I think we desperately need, as a fanbase, to move away from looking at manager’s trophy cabinets from bygone decades with clubs whose size dwarfs ours, and start focusing on building our club back up from the rubble it’s currently in.

I’m not talking about their careers, I’m talking about specifically from a United fan’s point of view of their time at that club.
Well If I were a Utd fan (God forbid) I'd say Mourinho was more successful given that he actually managed to win some silverware.

Well If I were a Utd fan (God forbid) I'd say Mourinho was more successful given that he actually managed to win some silverware.

But it’s trinkets for that club, they couldn’t care less about the League Cup and frankly, it’s a shambles that they were even in the Europa League in the first place. Winning it is not success for that club, you have an Evertonians mentality so of course you think that it’s the moon and stars to win those trophies. But this is Manchester United we’re talking about, they sacked Van Gaal the day after winning the FA Cup and he’s considered one of their worst ever managers. It’s all about levels.

That serial winning he did at United and Spurs sure was something to behold. So much winning that it clearly overloaded my mind to the point where I can’t quite remember all the stuff they won when he was there.

His second time at Chelsea also combined winning with some truly demented management - binning off three of the current top ten best players in the world for example, or what he did to Dr. Eva.

With our squad? Not a chance. With that United squad (and the money he had at his disposal while he was there) do you think he overachieved?

Given the basis he inherited them from, then yes. They’d won one trophy since Fergie left. The squad Van Gaal left was completely unbalanced with utter tat like Schneiderlin in it. He did well to win trophies with them and come 2nd to City. Solskjaer may have lifted the mood about the place but what did he achieve?

Status
Not open for further replies.