Are the fans to blame?

• Yes mate

• No lad

• Cheese on toast

• I’m dead angry at a screen.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think certain sections of the fan base need to take a look at themselves. Benitez was never given a chance by some fans. Super bloos who would rather see us relegated under him so they could say they were right.
I wasn't that enthusiastic about it all right, but i didn't expect Benitez to be this bad tbh. Sure he did a great job with Valencia about 20 years ago, but that champions league win with the rs, was a total and utter fluke. The mans an absolute fraud, who should never have been appointed Everton manager in the first place.

Should we perhaps roar the team on the hope of giving them an extra push to fight harder for the shirt?

Or boo them to remind them of how poor they are playing and demoralise them further?

Just a thought...

Many years ago 1.0 down i made my nephew swap seats with me at half time we went on to win the game, I was shocked moyes didn't mention me after the game and the echo snubbed me, motd as usual had nothing nice to say about me, if I'm not getting any credit for winning a game I'm certainly not taking any criticism for defeat .

I think Gray is a very good point, a fine example of a player whose previous track record screams of this 'not good enough for Everton' nonsense. Then he comes in and proves everyone wrong. To a lesser extent Townsend is the same too. Yes you also get the Rondons who it turns out the fans were absolutely spot on about, but I've just never really got this judging a player before he's played stuff and it goes both ways too as we have plenty of experience of lads whose signing got us all excited and turned out to be toilet too.

For me any player, can perform well at any club if all the things they need align at the right time for them so I am always happy to have a look first and judge then on their actual performances for Everton.

This still doesn't address my main gripe though that some of our fans seem to want every player to be brilliant at everything. To be skillful, hardworking, brave, fast, energetic, good in the air and on the deck and even if they are fantastic at one or two of those things they will always prefer to slag them for the stuff they aren't good at rather than enjoy what they are good at.

Every fan base has its share of lavatory stains . We are no different.

When people say it’s toxic tho , do they actually look into the reasons as to why? I don’t think it’s as simple as saying fans are a root cause of the problem here.

The “how about get behind the team instead “ shouts are hollow really, I’m sure the club would love a vast majority of subservient types who never question or call out anything. Chances are that’s the problem at the club itself and not amongst the supporters.

Its a good thing to call out bad stuff as you see it, but some seem to not realise there is a point where calling out everything bad for the sake of it becomes part of the problem itself.

Someone else in this thread said they quite like the fact that we are a bit snide, and I really don't get how they can't see how that could be bad for our club. Fans who are on the whole more cynical than others means an ever-decreasong circle culture of continuing shitness to me.

I think some seem to think being an Evertonian means you have to be the polar opposite of everything a kopite is. They sing songs, so we shouldn't, they make flags and banners so we shouldn't, they big up their players all the time so we should be cynically 'honest' about ours. I even remember a short embarrassing period a while ago when they started doing that little group hug thing on the pitch just before Kick off, so our team started doing it and had their own fans booing them for it.

There is something to be said for this - in terms of the fan base, it’s a profoundly cynical one and the old cliche about Evertonians hating Everton more than anyone else is partially true.

Of course what doesn’t help as well is that we live in footballing times where fakeness / quasi religious nonsensical behaviour expected of football supporters, so we stand out especially against the other lot.

It's sadly not anything new tbh my son. I've seen club legends like Ratters and Reidy get savaged by the boo boys.

God bless.

I think certain sections of the fan base need to take a look at themselves. Benitez was never given a chance by some fans. Super bloos who would rather see us relegated under him so they could say they were right.

Should we perhaps roar the team on the hope of giving them an extra push to fight harder for the shirt?

Or boo them to remind them of how poor they are playing and demoralise them further?

Just a thought...

Its a good thing to call out bad stuff as you see it, but some seem to not realise there is a point where calling out everything bad for the sake of it becomes part of the problem itself.

Someone else in this thread said they quite like the fact that we are a bit snide, and I really don't get how they can't see how that could be bad for our club. Fans who are on the whole more cynical than others means an ever-decreasong circle culture of continuing shitness to me.

I think some seem to think being an Evertonian means you have to be the polar opposite of everything a kopite is. They sing songs, so we shouldn't, they make flags and banners so we shouldn't, they big up their players all the time so we should be cynically 'honest' about ours. I even remember a short embarrassing period a while ago when they started doing that little group hug thing on the pitch just before Kick off, so our team started doing it and had their own fans booing them for it.
All these posters above get it. Well in.

Status
Not open for further replies.