Are the fans to blame?

• Yes mate

• No lad

• Cheese on toast

• I’m dead angry at a screen.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone in the US that became a fan of Everton after my first experience of watching the Premier League in 2013 at Goodison, I have a bit of an outsider perspective on the team.

The fans clearly remember when the team was among the top in England and expect that again. Time and some bad choices have entrenched them as a mid-table team that might flirt with a top 7 but is not really close to a top 4. Now with FFP, they can't just throw crazy money at players to fix it, so they are stuck in the mud.

The solution is probably a long term one. Find a younger manager that can settle on what style the team wants to play and sign and develop young players to do that. Too many players seem to want to leave the team because they don't like the people in charge. That needs to change where they want to play at Everton because of him. Not sure who that guy is, but lets stop hiring guys that see Everton as a step towards the job they really want.

Now hear me out on this but I’ve been thinking that there has to be something else that is a consistent in the failure of repeated Everton managers with an owner backing them financially. Obviously it’s not nice to hear this but do we as fans cause the toxicity around our club that means all are doomed to fail? Not saying it’s entirely the fans fault but the atmosphere of hysteria created by Evertonians is worse than Geordies, young players abused by fat dars or over hyped by FIFA obsessed millennials don’t stand a chance. Current narrative is that Moshiri is failing Everton but in my mind the fans are in cahoots with him after celebrating wildly a rich stranger taking over the club more than we celebrated the last trophy in 1995. Evertonians deserve better is a strap line used often but why do they deserve better and is this part of the entitled narrative that burdens anyone trying to fix the problem? Some, well many, Evertonians sabotage managerial appointments from the start as it wasn’t the manager they wanted and scouted themselves, so want to be proved right in their heads by the manager’s failure rather than Everton success.
We have some whoppers as fans.

Majority are sound but there is deffo a section of belters.

I think Benitez never made a genuine effort to establish a good rapport with the supporters

Had he actually done so then I think you could have put some blame on them

He made zero effort to reach across the aisle though, so in my mind he made his own problems

Not apologising for the small club comment was the beginning of the end for him when it came to getting the crowd on side

Nah, we have managed to put together the worst cash rich attempt to build a successful football club in the Premier league era. The fans have just reacted to the ineptitude at every level from the top down. Tragic but very Everton!

There is something to be said for this - in terms of the fan base, it’s a profoundly cynical one and the old cliche about Evertonians hating Everton more than anyone else is partially true.

Of course what doesn’t help as well is that we live in footballing times where fakeness / quasi religious nonsensical behaviour expected of football supporters, so we stand out especially against the other lot.

To be fair, this is what a full generation of failure will do to a fanbase that has genetic memories (or delusions) of a past in which we were the best in the land.

The fans play a part in the blame, but the very present toxicity is hardly a surprise, given the mad decision to appoint Rafael Benitez as Everton manager.

I’m pretty confident this is as toxic as it will get, because of who the current manager is.

I'd rather be always angry at Everton than be one of those toothless, horse-punching Geordies that sky sports always interviews outside Shearer's bar. The ones who tell everyone how massive Newcastle are.

Now hear me out on this but I’ve been thinking that there has to be something else that is a consistent in the failure of repeated Everton managers with an owner backing them financially. Obviously it’s not nice to hear this but do we as fans cause the toxicity around our club that means all are doomed to fail? Not saying it’s entirely the fans fault but the atmosphere of hysteria created by Evertonians is worse than Geordies, young players abused by fat dars or over hyped by FIFA obsessed millennials don’t stand a chance. Current narrative is that Moshiri is failing Everton but in my mind the fans are in cahoots with him after celebrating wildly a rich stranger taking over the club more than we celebrated the last trophy in 1995. Evertonians deserve better is a strap line used often but why do they deserve better and is this part of the entitled narrative that burdens anyone trying to fix the problem? Some, well many, Evertonians sabotage managerial appointments from the start as it wasn’t the manager they wanted and scouted themselves, so want to be proved right in their heads by the manager’s failure rather than Everton success.
Well word is season ticket prices are going up, so that should price out a few scruffs, by the time we get to Bramley Moore we should hopfully have a more tourist based support, that should see an improvement.

It's sadly not anything new tbh my son. I've seen club legends like Ratters and Reidy get savaged by the boo boys.

God bless.

To be fair, this is what a full generation of failure will do to a fanbase that has genetic memories (or delusions) of a past in which we were the best in the land.

The fans play a part in the blame, but the very present toxicity is hardly a surprise, given the mad decision to appoint Rafael Benitez as Everton manager.

I’m pretty confident this is as toxic as it will get, because of who the current manager is.
Let’s hope so. Whoever is appointed next must be supported by all.

I think we have to take some share of the blame yes. We laugh at the entitled bellends that support the like of Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool but at least they've actually got something in their recent history to justify those feelings of superiority over others.

How many times do our players get tagged with the comment 'not good enough for Everton Football Club' like we have been producing trophy winning teams for the last three decades and anything less is an insult to our intelligence.

Some players get destroyed by the crowd for being skillful but not hard working enough, some get destroyed for being hard working but not skilled enough. Full backs are moaned at for being able to defend but not get forward, others who can get forward but are dodgy defensively get equally moaned at. The truth is players who are all things to all men are in very short supply and even the very best teams get by with the right mix of players who bring their own particular skills to the party, so why can't we be patient enough to let out players flourish at what they are good at and leave them alone for the other stuff? I am sure the RS know Alexander-Arnold is an atrocious defender but they still love him because he is brilliant going forward.

Worst of all, some players don't even get the benefit of the doubt and are dismissed as not good enough before kicking a ball, El Ghazi seems to be the latest to suffer this one.

I'm sure this stuff goes on at all football clubs but we are definitely amongst the worst for it and Goodison Park's famous intimidating atmosphere probably had more of a negative effect on its own players than the opposition in most games.
This is all sound mate but generally speaking we're just a pessimist fan base which comes from decades of being let down

What we really want is to buy players that are better than the current or at least not a significant downgrade if we can help it. Not many people were raving about Gray, assuming we were shopping in the bargain basement for someone that was binned off by Leicester and we were getting for pennies. Turns out he was good and many consider him one of the first names on the teamsheet. He won the fans over. Most everyone was fearful of the Rondon signing though, then got frustrated when he played and showed nothing, then pissed off when this didn't improve after 6 games, then fuming when he was getting shoehorned in over other players that were at least unknown quantities that could show something that wasn't plodding and ponderous.

We also are a working class fans base who, while thrifty and would like a good deal (see the aforementioned Gray), will naturally feel aggrieved if they get their pants pulled down by the likes of a 28m Bolasie, or a 35m Iwobi. Purchases like these start of already further along the continuum of fume because they seem so egregious. The El Ghazi fume isn't because he's pony (and he may well be), but for multiple reasons like 1) he's a part of the whole Digne being cut despite us needing quality, and being sold to Gerrard and positional rivals of all things, 2) do we really need another winger? 3) if he can't get into a Villa side what does that say and, I think more importantly, 4) Moshiri is a divvy doing Joorabchian a favour and taking the lad so Villa could sign Coutinho and hasn't got a clue about footy

To be fair to you later point, up until this week I would have said that Evertonians would gladly have taken an assist machine like TAA even if they were relatively middling on the back foot but the Digne revisionism stunned me

I'd rather be always angry at Everton than be one of those toothless, horse-punching Geordies that sky sports always interviews outside Shearer's bar. The ones who tell everyone how massive Newcastle are.
There's not much difference these days. Loads of people still think we're a big club. Unless you've done a tooth count?

Status
Not open for further replies.