2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely baffling team selection that reeked of misplaced arrogance. I mean your job is hanging by a thread it's a must win game and that is the best you can do.
It clearly proved his stubbornness and how unwilling he is to change. It begs the question did he do it on purpose as he knew he’d get a big payout if sacked.

I'm not sure he'll go, Moshiri has to say he was wrong in the first place....I cant see him doing that, especially after throwing Brands out, he was clearly showing the fans that he was putting all the blame on him.
If he stays, I don't think I'll watch the next game. It will be venomous, seeing Gerrard smirking at the fans, it won't end well this.
I’m not going if he’s there

Is anyone able to explain what changed in the team after the good run at the start of the season?
We started to face better opposition and Benitez’ luck ran out. If you cast your mind back the only truly confident controlled performance in that run was Brighton away. The rest of the games we had little possession and looked second best for most of the games, but, a 10 or 15 minute purple patch was enough for us to get a win.

Before anybody cites Manchester United away, they were in an even bigger mess than we were, when we went to Old Trafford and they still outclassed us for about an hour of the match. The football, on the whole, has been about the worst on display in the premier league this season. Even Burnley fans wouldn’t enjoy it.

The thing is I don't think his signings, Rondon aside, have been that bad.

Gray's brilliant, Townsends a good squad player as is Begovic. Patterson is very highly rated.

That being said the sale of Digne and his replacement being a young lad from a league of much lower quality being thrown in the deep end has made us a weaker side than when he arrived.

It's just a shame the clueless board didn't pull the trigger over Christmas before we sold Digne.

Harry please go and shout with the rest that we want him out.
Mate I said after the derby I wouldn’t go until he left , I watched the arsenal and Chelsea games in the boozer and went back for brighton . I stormed out after that gutless display , I can’t bear it . I can’t recognise my club , I’m starting to hate them and I mean really hate them and yeah the players , owner and chairman are part of it not as much as this fraud .

We started to face better opposition and Benitez’ luck ran out. If you cast your mind back the only truly confident controlled performance in that run was Brighton away. The rest of the games we had little possession and looked second best for most of the games, but, a 10 or 15 minute purple patch was enough for us to get a win.

Before anybody cites Manchester United away, they were in an even bigger mess than we were, when we went to Old Trafford and they still outclassed us for about an hour of the match. The football, on the whole, has been about the worst on display in the premier league this season. Even Burnley fans wouldn’t enjoy it.
Spot on

Mate I said after the derby I wouldn’t go until he left , I watched the arsenal and Chelsea games in the boozer and went back for brighton . I stormed out after that gutless display , I can’t bear it . I can’t recognise my club , I’m starting to hate them and I mean really hate them and yeah the players , owner and chairman are part of it not as much as this fraud .

I understand Harry. Not sure where you were but I look back to the 60s, 70s and 80s when we were a proper football team and club. I am fortunate that I have seen those years many even on here have not.

The thing is I don't think his signings, Rondon aside, have been that bad.

Gray's brilliant, Townsends a good squad player as is Begovic. Patterson is very highly rated.

That being said the sale of Digne and his replacement being a young lad from a league of much lower quality being thrown in the deep end has made us a weaker side than when he arrived.

It's just a shame the clueless board didn't pull the trigger over Christmas before we sold Digne.
But the club wanted a Digne sale. People seem to think this was pure Benitez, but he was the board's patsy on this. Frankly, from an economic perspective, selling a player just past his peak and replacing him with two younger, hungrier players is, potentially, a very sound model. In theory, the long-term benefits will more than offset the short-term costs. In theory.

The club needs to continue this model - but to do so they have to have a good eye for the younger player they are bringing in. It stands or falls on the quality and impact of the Pattersons of the world. So, we'll have to reserve judgement for quite some time, but, in theory, selling Digne as he passes his peak for a good price is straight out of the Brian Clough/Peter Taylor playbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.