2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had the money to

With a clear vision in place we would have been reaping the rewards about now - and I believe we would have become a top 4 club

Alas...

Nah. The top clubs spend 100 million on a player.

We wasted a fortune but we were starting from a base way way below the top clubs. We were attracting, and buying players for £25 million and paying them 100k a week. That’s a lot of money but that was never going to dent the top 4.

(Look how many signings over £30 million those clubs have made - it’s around twenty each compared to our ONE)

We wasted a fortune but we were starting from a base way way below the top clubs. We were attracting, and buying players for £25 million and paying them 100k a week. That’s a lot of money but that was never going to dent the top 4.

(Look how many signings over £30 million those clubs have made - it’s around twenty each compared to our ONE)
We should have ploughed our money into bringing the very best youth players into the club - looking at the thing long term rather than trying to hijack the top 4 quickly

In what world was buying Gylfi Sigurddson for £45m ever going to elevate us?

Just absolutely ludicrous and baffling short term thinking

We had Lukaku and Stones and Barkley, had we spent far better we would of got top 4

I can only imagine Benitez is trying to screw every penny he can out of the club and that is why he hasn’t been sacked at this stage. Hopefully as part of the review of the club which we are told is going on they look at how much has been wasted on paying managers off and how much transfer money has been squandered by different managers trying to build a team in their image only to be sacked shortly thereafter.
I suggest the club appoint a three man panel, none of whom can be current board members with the exception of Sharpie, to select the new man. In fact I would let the tea lady pick the new man before I would let the board or Moshiri pick him.
A name they should be considering is Gareth Southgate. Seems to know how to get the best out of players and how to build a team, the question is would he come to a club were the owner seems to have more say in who plays than the manager.

We had the money to

With a clear vision in place we would have been reaping the rewards about now - and I believe we would have become a top 4 club

Alas...
Looking back, the summer of Marco Silva’s second season was a turning point and opportunity missed. Second half of the season we’d started to see the shape of a team forming. Zouma and Keane were forming a good partnership at centre back, Gueye and Gomes looked good together, Richie on the left had good figures for goals, Siggi behind the striker was scoring and Calvert Lewis was starting to emerge.

That summer if we’d made Zouma permanent, not sold Gueye and added a right winger who contributed similar numbers to what Richie and Siggi were doing behind DCL I think that team was showing signs of going in the right direction.

Instead, we didn’t/couldn’t make Zouma permanent, sold Gueye and replaces him with Gbamin and instead of adding a right winger that would contribute we added Iwobi who really wanted to play on the left. Team went backwards and has been going backwards since.

We’ve absolutely had the money to be pushing top four, West Ham are doing it having spent a fraction. We’ve lost good players who were key parts of the team we should have been building on and replaced with poorer players. Add a toxic personality like Rafael into the mix and well, we all know how it turns out.

I keep expecting to see an announcement but nothing so far official unless I have missed something. It needs to be done quick and give Dunc the game on Saturday. What we don’t need is to rush into an appointment in the next day or two, we can use the international break for a reset if need be
I sincerely hope they have planned for this scenario weeks ago in the background.
To start scratching round in the middle of a January transfer window is'nt good.

But yanno this is Everton.

Then along came Ronald Koeman.

We had Lukaku and Stones and Barkley, had we spent far better we would of got top 4

We would have been nearer of course - but I don’t see how we were going to out compete Chelsea, City, Liverpool or United. They attract better players and managers.

We missed the boat when the money went crazy in the Prem. it isn’t coming back I’m afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.