New centre half

Status
Not open for further replies.

toetonioni

Player Valuation: £225k
After some of the defensive shambles we’ve all witnessed this season, the contract situation and fitness issues of Mina and the lack of quality particularly if holgate and Keane it seems like we need a defensive rebuild.
In the transfer thread there seems to be a lot of suggestions that we need an experienced leader type to help guide through Godfrey and Branthwaite but not many suggestions about who we could look at realistically that would come to us and be that defensive leader…. Who do you think we could target?

Branthwaite has done well for us when he's played and hopefully there's a player there

Really not sure about Godfrey as a long term CB

He's fast but his positioning is bad and he's poor at heading so not a reliable centre half yet.

Not sure who to target and it defo depends on our budget but I reckon we need to shift at least one and get 2 new centre backs in

Been on here saying same thing for about 2 years now. All of them are replaceable. I dont rate any of them. Some go on like Godfrey is 18 or 19. He's in his mid twenties. Him and keane both got relegated from this league.
Branthwaite i'd keep for his potential. He does actualy look like he could develop into a good centre half.
The rest. Get rid.

Branthwaite has done well for us when he's played and hopefully there's a player there

Really not sure about Godfrey as a long term CB

He's fast but his positioning is bad and he's poor at heading so not a reliable centre half yet.

Not sure who to target and it defo depends on our budget but I reckon we need to shift at least one and get 2 new centre backs in
In fairness to Godfrey, there aren't too many young CB’s whose positioning is 100%. Thats why they need experienced CB’s alongside them, advising them through the match. Unfortunately Keane seems so unsure of himself, he is incapable of helping his defensive partners. I would love a CB who was also an experienced captain. Someone to gee them up / bollock thrm if they arent performing!

What I want in a centre back

1) Has a football brain
2) Good positional sense
3) Cool under pressure
4) Can head a ball
5) Has some pace
6) Can make a simple pass (or hit Row Z when needed)

Non of our current lot have these qualities
Keane normally hits row Z when we have a kick off from the start of play

I see derby had curtis davies and phil jagielka playing today. Combined age of nearly 80.
Id be tempted to stick the two of them at the back for Everton until the end of the season.

The same players did very well defensivly last season. ?‍♂️

When ancelotti parked the midfield bus in front of them. Which was the reason the likes of burnley looked world class at Goodison. Because ancelotti had to protect the so called defenders at this club. Giving burnley the rest of the pitch.
Ask them to do the bread and butter basics and you'll find we end up on 32 goals conceded by january.

Status
Not open for further replies.