2021/22 Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
He never should have been bought. We were crying out for a proper midfielder anchor but decided to buy a player who was accustomed to a box to box role in a very dynamic team who likes to hunt for the ball. He has no basic understanding of positioning and closing off angles for forward passes, which causes him to get dragged out of position constantly.

He's not a bad player (I don't think anyway), he's just not what we needed and at the wrong end of his career.

The signing epitomises how spineless Marcel Brands is and how he allowed Ancellotti to dictate a signing that went against everything that he should have been looking to implement.

He never should have been bought. We were crying out for a proper midfielder anchor but decided to buy a player who was accustomed to a box to box role in a very dynamic team who likes to hunt for the ball. He has no basic understanding of positioning and closing off angles for forward passes, which causes him to get dragged out of position constantly.

He's not a bad player (I don't think anyway), he's just not what we needed and at the wrong end of his career.

The signing epitomises how spineless Marcel Brands is and how he allowed Ancellotti to dictate a signing that went against everything that he should have been looking to implement.

I just couldn't imagine him ever hunting the ball down successfully. He tries to be all action but he's too easy to play around.

I just couldn't imagine him ever hunting the ball down successfully. He tries to be all action but he's too easy to play around.
The stats (whatever they're worth) say that he does win his fair share of tackles, but it's clear just by watching him that his legs are going. It would be pointless trying to coach him to be an effective midfield anchor either, he's too old to change his ways and his passing is nowhere near good enough for someone we'd look to start our attacks from deep.

He's still serviceable and could probably still do half a job for us as a spare man in a midfield three, but he never should have been signed.

He tries, and he wins some tackles, and prods forward a few decent passes, but he isn't top top level is he? He's not the quickest and he'll never score. He has a great attitude but is just another example of poor recruitment.

Thats fair.

He was fantastic doing so in Italy all his career...

He looks shellshocked in this 'tactical' mismatch with him + Doucoure vs 3 players most games.

Looks like he would need a 3 man midfield and his legs seem to be going.

Probably need to sell him to an Italian side.

He just doesn't have the mobility that gueye did and his passing is poor too. I don't really see him as the answer at the moment.

Agree. Is it now fair to say that Allan and JR were completely wrong strategic investments? Last time I said that, I was lynched on the forum here.

Brands wanted Hoijberg, who's been Spur's best players since he went there and was excellent in the Euros

He's not built for the Premier League really!
Or atleast we are not set up properly to allow him too perform properly (e.g 3 midfielders)

Status
Not open for further replies.