Would things drastically change if Benitez left tomorrow?

If Benitez left tomorrow and nothing else changed would Everton's fortunes improve?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem imo is that we do not have team players on the whole.
This is a big problem, Moyes was on record as saying that we used to make sure that our signings had the right character for the club and that seems to have gone out of the window since. However, a big part of modern management is managing the millionaire playboys that the modern players are. This seems a task that Benitez, among many other older managers, seem unsuited to. Unity in any organisation has to be led from the top.

You`ve got to ask yourself, is this a long term appointment? Where is the vision for the future? Rafael is nearly 62 years old and I would suggest out of touch with the modern game, tactics are akin to those of Mourinho, Allardyce and Ancelotti in that they conceded ground and possession (Park the bus), managers that have and will continue to struggle in the era of the high press. That is best demonstrated by all these managers lack of winning anything for a very long time. All these managers are considered "Dinosaurs" and I would suggest that is correct, they haven`t moved on and still believe their way will bring success.

I`ve always wanted the best that is on offer, after it was obvious we weren`t getting any of the top class managers I`d have been happy with Moyes (Safe pair of hands and doesnt suffer fools) or a Graham Potter type, a long term forward thinking modern manager. I have to be honest I wasnt keen on Potter but he is proving himself yet again with very average players.

But lets not fool ourselves here, the problem isn`t just the manager although you could point towards his selections and tactics, the club is in a mess from top to bottom.

Moshiri needs to let the football people run the club, keep his views and nose out of it. Just supply the cash and employ competent individuals, not ex blues who are part of the most undesirable part of the clubs history.

Brands needs to be pushed upstairs as a director or booted on and leave this DoF position for someone proven in the role and with a proven track record of scouting players who will make a difference for both the 1st team and youth sides. Someone who make the best use of the scouting network and grow it. Brands has had a go and failed, just like Walsh.

Benitez is an outdated manager and I dont see any longevity about his reign at Goodison, we arent getting top class managers so lets get Potter who is proving himself and getting rave reviews as a visionary from other managers like Guardiola. Obviously the manager will pick the best coaches and back room staff.

1st team squad, no secret that this just isnt good enough. Let the long term manager pick who he wants or identifies the "type" of player he wants and the DoF and Scouts scour the globe to find young hungry players to add to our squad. Focus should be on athleticism and pace, very important in the modern game.

Academy, clearly this is not working at present, when was the last time we brought through a player who was 1st team quality? Arguably Barkley, players like Kenny and Davies do not fit in to this category. The attributes for players being brought through should match close to what the 1st team manager sets out or have potential to fit the mould, so to speak. Is our scouting network identifying the best talent in this country or even locally? Liverpool`s current batch is superb and not all are from the city. The DoF and scouting network should be bringing in players with exceptional talent to push the academy players and teams.

Finch Farm Staff, have we got the best doctors, physios, sports science and performance analysts? Again DoF should be involved in the recruitment of the best possible back up staff for 1st team and academy.

We need a complete overhaul, no more "job for the boys" let them be matchday hospitality or after dinner speakers, leave the elite football coaching to the elite coaches. Time to get more professional and have the feel of an elite club looking to head to the top of the elite game.

Just my take.....
Not reading all that lad.

Did read the first point and I agree Benitez is not a long term plan at all. I've seen nothing to change my mind about him or his football in the 10 or so games we have played under him. We haven't been good, our defending has gotten worse. Beyond being a kopite, he's a yesterday's man. We don't have anything of the ball most games and have snatched wins on the counter in games we have been outplayed.

Ancelotti showed he could get more out of these players last year than he can. We've played nobody really good yet beyond Utd. We had injuries last year too and still looked better than this.

We got worse and worse the longer Ancelotti was here, I can’t get on board with this at all. It doesn’t mean to say I think we’ve improved this season, but last season was the most miserable I’ve ever been watching an Everton side in my life. Even when we were somehow a couple of points off top 4 I was just bemused and a bit embarrassed that we were there, we finished where we deserved to.

You`ve got to ask yourself, is this a long term appointment? Where is the vision for the future? Rafael is nearly 62 years old and I would suggest out of touch with the modern game, tactics are akin to those of Mourinho, Allardyce and Ancelotti in that they conceded ground and possession (Park the bus), managers that have and will continue to struggle in the era of the high press. That is best demonstrated by all these managers lack of winning anything for a very long time. All these managers are considered "Dinosaurs" and I would suggest that is correct, they haven`t moved on and still believe their way will bring success.

I`ve always wanted the best that is on offer, after it was obvious we weren`t getting any of the top class managers I`d have been happy with Moyes (Safe pair of hands and doesnt suffer fools) or a Graham Potter type, a long term forward thinking modern manager. I have to be honest I wasnt keen on Potter but he is proving himself yet again with very average players.

But lets not fool ourselves here, the problem isn`t just the manager although you could point towards his selections and tactics, the club is in a mess from top to bottom.

Moshiri needs to let the football people run the club, keep his views and nose out of it. Just supply the cash and employ competent individuals, not ex blues who are part of the most undesirable part of the clubs history.

Brands needs to be pushed upstairs as a director or booted on and leave this DoF position for someone proven in the role and with a proven track record of scouting players who will make a difference for both the 1st team and youth sides. Someone who make the best use of the scouting network and grow it. Brands has had a go and failed, just like Walsh.

Benitez is an outdated manager and I dont see any longevity about his reign at Goodison, we arent getting top class managers so lets get Potter who is proving himself and getting rave reviews as a visionary from other managers like Guardiola. Obviously the manager will pick the best coaches and back room staff.

1st team squad, no secret that this just isnt good enough. Let the long term manager pick who he wants or identifies the "type" of player he wants and the DoF and Scouts scour the globe to find young hungry players to add to our squad. Focus should be on athleticism and pace, very important in the modern game.

Academy, clearly this is not working at present, when was the last time we brought through a player who was 1st team quality? Arguably Barkley, players like Kenny and Davies do not fit in to this category. The attributes for players being brought through should match close to what the 1st team manager sets out or have potential to fit the mould, so to speak. Is our scouting network identifying the best talent in this country or even locally? Liverpool`s current batch is superb and not all are from the city. The DoF and scouting network should be bringing in players with exceptional talent to push the academy players and teams.

Finch Farm Staff, have we got the best doctors, physios, sports science and performance analysts? Again DoF should be involved in the recruitment of the best possible back up staff for 1st team and academy.

We need a complete overhaul, no more "job for the boys" let them be matchday hospitality or after dinner speakers, leave the elite football coaching to the elite coaches. Time to get more professional and have the feel of an elite club looking to head to the top of the elite game.

Just my take.....
So much is being pinned on the new stadium. We move there and have to pay for arguments sake an extra £40m a year to pay it off. Are we then just relying on sales every year to keep afloat?. No one is paying a fortune for hospitality to watch a mid table team.

We may have a larger capacity and more season ticket holders in the ground but is that going to help us progress given that we've basically wasted about 5 seasons sacking managers and wasting all our money?

The future looks grim at the moment. I doubt Potter would come here either. He would want some money and a bit of stability before he got here.

I absolutely despise Ancelotti the way he just binned us off after phoning it in while was here but at least we never sacked him and had to pay him and his son off.

Just my take.....
The sad thing is, whilst I think a manager like Potter might have been tempted to join us in the summer, I don't think that any manager with a brain in his head would join us at this point in time. The pro-Benitez lobby will jump on this with their "I told you so" nonsense but Benitez has clearly been a part of our further decline. If we sack him we would have to look abroad for a progressive manager as any currently plying their trade in England wouldn't touch us with a bargepole.

Yeah and then he found the right balance for those players. Sure it was very dull but we were competitive. Nothing wrong with winning 1 nil.

This season we are very uncompetitive. 5 losses in 7, only 1 win. It's extremely bad form considering we've hardly played anyone of note.

I maintain that we are considerably worse organised this season, even ignoring the enormous set play problem
Well yes if you ignore the games we won then we aren't competitive. I'm going to not do that if it is ok though.

The problem with aiming to win 1-0 is there is no margin for error. Not that what Rafael has us playing gives us that much more of a margin but when you could potentially score twice in a game it does give you some.

Injuries have played their part, but some of the tactical decision making has been woeful, two man midfield being constantly over run, players with no idea where to be at set pieces, Rondon causing a total eclipse of the sun etc..

I'm not getting into the "who is better and available" game because all that will happen is you will tell me they won't come here or that they aren't better than Benitez and frankly life is too short. If you are happy with the way our team is setup then you will live a long and happy life because if this doesn't depress you 99% of things won't. Best of luck to you.
Yes he has made some really hard to understand decisions in team selections like Gbamin last night, but rectified it at half time and his replacement made Everton look a better team in the second half. I will be more depressed if he goes than if he stays, anyway thanks for your best of luck message, same to you.

Gbarmin stunk but I guess you gotta play him sometime.

we played fine under Rafael before the injuries. Seems to make the right subs at halftime if things aren't working. His big mistake was signing Rondon, but its not easy to find even a backup striker when you don't have any money.

We aren't spending so I can't really see any manager who's decent/up and coming who would want to be here.

This is not about the manager, only a fool would want him out given the mess he has been inherited.

The manager is not the problem, but he's absolutely not the solution either. Which is why he needs to replaced as soon as possible

Call me a fool or whatever, but it's delusional to think the club can be successful with this atmosphere around the club and these outdated tactics. Only when the club is united behind a common goal, with clear responsibilities and clear object to be met, will the club start to improve. The first step on that process is a new manager, and the sooner the better. Everyone knows this is never going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.