2021/22 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never rated him, wish he was great for us. But just not at the level. But then he went and missed that sitter. And im starting to come around to him.

Disagree about Davies

As for a couple of your other points, I think the offside has to be really close for it to ruled in favour of the attacking side.

As for Var jumping in to overturn decisions, it’s never going to happen while all refs are mates. Nobody is going to doing something to make his mate in the middle look a complete fool.

Look at the 2 Milner challenges unpunished yesterday. Incredible
Yep....you are spot on. Just a wee rant from me. Just a wee rant.
I played a bit of football in the 1970s. Goals were given for maybe about a couple of foot being offside. Maybe wrong, but that's the way it was. Now you are offside for being just an inch the wrong way. But you are right. That's how it is nowadays.
Just one point. If Davies had taken the shot on. And scored. Would the goal have still been ruled offside for Mina straying offside. Maybe for distracting De Gea. I don't know. Just a thought. Minas momentum might still have taken him offside if Davies had taken on the shot.

This makes me worry about him as a professional footballer.
Well, I'll guarantee you that Gueye wouldn't have scored from there, and he was a decent professional, I think everyone would agree. I appreciate that Gueye had superlative defensive qualities to make up for his paucity of attacking ones, and that scoring is more in Tom's remit that Idrissa's, but not every professional would have scored, or chosen to shoot, rather than set up a team mate with a tap in. A well-rounded, Premier League, midfielder would probably have scored, but no need to pillory Davies for not being the class player that he clearly isn't. Doesn't mean he's garbage, though.

Well, I'll guarantee you that Gueye wouldn't have scored from there, and he was a decent professional, I think everyone would agree. I appreciate that Gueye had superlative defensive qualities to make up for his paucity of attacking ones, and that scoring is more in Tom's remit that Idrissa's, but not every professional would have scored, or chosen to shoot, rather than set up a team mate with a tap in. A well-rounded, Premier League, midfielder would probably have scored, but no need to pillory Davies for not being the class player that he clearly isn't. Doesn't mean he's garbage, though.

I would expect Gueye to score actually.

Disagree about Davies

As for a couple of your other points, I think the offside has to be really close for it to ruled in favour of the attacking side.

As for Var jumping in to overturn decisions, it’s never going to happen while all refs are mates. Nobody is going to doing something to make his mate in the middle look a complete fool.

Look at the 2 Milner challenges unpunished yesterday. Incredible
Also. Sorry that you don't like Davies. But he's only just going to be a squad player. I realise that. I'm not calling for him to play every week. Maybe just come on now and again to maybe ( hopefully ) play out a 2-0 lead. He's better than some on our books. IMO
Maybe I'm just hopeful that the player that scored that wonderful goal a few years back against Man City would come back. Make an appearance now and again. Where did that Tom Davies go?

Wow. Allan & Doucoure have been criticised on the odd occasions for poor performances like every single player that pulls on a shirt or any other shirt by their fans. It comes with the territory.

Mcllroy got plenty of stock from golf fans for his performance at the Ryder cup. Is he a always a bad player, obviously not.

I would say DCL has been a bit lucky at Everton for the club not replacing Lukaku with quality, meaning he’s been given 3 full seasons at the club to improve, which he has, Davies hasn’t or not to the same level. Had we bought well after lukaku. DCL may not be at the club now.

Davies is very lucky to still be getting games at Everton abs has had more chances than any other youngster in our 150yr history.
he’s played a 150 games in 5 years, and has had 10% of very good games. It’s amazing fans get stick for saying he’s not good enough. I think that’s been proven over the last 5yrs.
People are entitled to their opinions, but I take issue with the ferocity of the hatred showered on him.
He gets defended because he is a local lad and boyhood blue and we want him to succeed.
I think we all know is not first or second choice. The question really is should he be third or fourth choice?

Tom Davies from a few years ago doesn't even think about passing that to Mina - he would have either snotted it near post or tried something clever, like a feint and a little dink finish. Either way he shoots.

Shows how much he has regressed as a player, and how low his confidence is.

Hope he can do more in any further cameos he gets, he's a good lad and I think there could be a player in there - his breakthrough season for us showed that.

Not sure about that. 1 goal in 3 seasons says davies doesnt have a remit for scoring.
Funnily enough gueye has been banging them in this season.

Yep....you are spot on. Just a wee rant from me. Just a wee rant.
I played a bit of football in the 1970s. Goals were given for maybe about a couple of foot being offside. Maybe wrong, but that's the way it was. Now you are offside for being just an inch the wrong way. But you are right. That's how it is nowadays.
Just one point. If Davies had taken the shot on. And scored. Would the goal have still been ruled offside for Mina straying offside. Maybe for distracting De Gea. I don't know. Just a thought. Minas momentum might still have taken him offside if Davies had taken on the shot.
No I’m 99% certain it would have been a goal

People are entitled to their opinions, but I take issue with the ferocity of the hatred showered on him.
He gets defended because he is a local lad and boyhood blue and we want him to succeed.
I think we all know is not first or second choice. The question really is should he be third or fourth choice?
It’s a a simple answer no. Abs I would say he’s probably 5th choice at best when you consider Rafael picked Gomes & delph before him in the early games. It doesn’t paint a good picture for him that after 5 yrs and 150 games he’s 5th choice for a team that has finished 10th and 12th the last 2 seasons.

The lad is championship standard. Look how him and Gomes couldn’t even take control of QPR’s midfield. Injuries to Allan and Doucoure or god for bid both and that’s our season over.

Not sure about that. 1 goal in 3 seasons says davies doesnt have a remit for scoring.
Funnily enough gueye has been banging them in this season.
Sorry, I wasn't saying there was an actual expectation for Tom to be scoring goals, but if you aren't a defensive genius, almost permanently stationed right in front of the back 4, then it's automatically in your job description that you have to score a few goals. Really, as a general purpose midfielder, Davies should chip in with a few, but if you know a situation is beyond your ability, then better to pass for a tap-in (regardless of your job description) than shoot and miss. I always blame the bloke who ran offside than tbe one who passed to him.

Sorry, I wasn't saying there was an actual expectation for Tom to be scoring goals, but if you aren't a defensive genius, almost permanently stationed right in front of the back 4, then it's automatically in your job description that you have to score a few goals. Really, as a general purpose midfielder, Davies should chip in with a few, but if you know a situation is beyond your ability, then better to pass for a tap-in (regardless of your job description) than shoot and miss. I always blame the bloke who ran offside than tbe one who passed to him.

I'd expect a bog standard centre half let alone a midfielder when presented with as clear an opportunity like that to at least test the keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.