Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I just need somewhere to vent a bit as I don't have anyone else to really unload stuff onto.

My long term relationship has fell apart in front of me, my whole world is just crumbling. I haven't been able to eat a thing all week, I'm literally surviving off fizzy drinks at the moment. I can't sleep for more than 20 minutes and I spend all day in tears.

I've been on Sertroline for a couple of weeks now but it's not having any impact. My mood is still on the floor.

I've told work that I am struggling to complete my tasks because I just cannot concentrate and so I've had to jiggle stuff around to get easier stuff to focus on which is embarrassing for me.

I'm at a complete loss and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

So sorry to hear this. Have you thought about asking for an Occupational Health referral through your work. They should be able to help and put forward suggestions to help you in work. You might also be able to access counselling through them. It's worth doing, work would rather have you on work than off sick so suggest it - or get your line manager to. I know there is a perception that Occupational Health is a negative experience and on the road to being sacked but I've always found them to be helpful.

I absolutely agree. OH have always helped at my place. They can suggest things not previously thought of they are objective and are in my experience supportive of the employee. Its not for everyone but I definitely think it's worth pursuing as a possibility.

One of my friend committed suicide yesterday. He died. The scary thing was he was the happiest and nicest guy I met.

This is what makes mental health so difficult. A person could be battling so hard to help others that they forget themselves. Or some people hide their inner sadness by being happy outside. Everyone is different and sometimes there is no warning and nothing anyone can do. I hope you are OK and if you feel in anyway down pop in here there is always someone to help. There is also professional organisations. My biggest sadness is the thought that someone went down that route when there may be support available.

One of my friend committed suicide yesterday. He died. The scary thing was he was the happiest and nicest guy I met.
Its unreal mate so hard to accept. I lost 1 of my best friends about 10 yrs ago to suicide. He was the funniest person ive ever known always laughing, joking and slegging everyone. Never knew anyone who didn't like him, when you seen him coming over you started to laugh already he couldve been a comedian we even spent lunchtime together as we worked near each other. You never know whats going through others heads - you only know what they let you know. Im sorry for your loss but look after yourself and your other friends - ive a mate whos an undertaker and he dreads suicides - he says half the times they do a funeral for a suicide they can be back within the month for 1 of the mourners who he reckons cant handle it or blame themselves for the suicide. Stay strong brother for yourself and others.

That's so sad. You never know what is going on inside somebody's head. My friend's Dad killed himself many years ago, I was 19, she was 18. The night before he did it, I had been visiting my friend and he gave me a lift home. Chatting away as usual, his last words to me were "Give my love to your Mum and Dad - see you soon" I think about him often. Such a lovely, kind man. When we were kids he would take all the kids in the street swimming rather than just his own, he would buy everybody an ice cream if the ice cream man came. Nobody was aware of the sadness that must have been inside him.
I'm so sorry about your friend.

I just need somewhere to vent a bit as I don't have anyone else to really unload stuff onto.

My long term relationship has fell apart in front of me, my whole world is just crumbling. I haven't been able to eat a thing all week, I'm literally surviving off fizzy drinks at the moment. I can't sleep for more than 20 minutes and I spend all day in tears.

I've been on Sertroline for a couple of weeks now but it's not having any impact. My mood is still on the floor.

I've told work that I am struggling to complete my tasks because I just cannot concentrate and so I've had to jiggle stuff around to get easier stuff to focus on which is embarrassing for me.

I'm at a complete loss and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Sorry to hear this mate. It’s a tough time for many as it is, and relationships can give that sense of familiarity when everything else is changing, so to lose one can’t be easy.

There is no quick fix for what you’re feeling, so the best you can do is chip away at the problems and let yourself heal gradually. The thing that stands out for me as a potential “easy win” for you is your diet. If you’re taking in nothing but sugary drinks, your body will feel like crap which will have a knock-on effect on your mental health. Maybe make a meal plan for the coming week and commit to eating, even if it’s smaller portions. You might be amazed at what putting some good grub into your body does for you, and it’ll also give you something you have control over which may help, also.

Let us know how you get on mate.

It’s crazy how common this comment is around in relation to those who have committed suicide. They care so much for others that they go out of their way to make sure they’re not worried, all the while losing the fight against their demons.

I’m so sorry you’ve lost your friend, mate. I hope you’re doing ok and, if not, that you have others you can talk to (as well as us on here whenever you need of course). Take care, man.

‘How are you’ has become as standard as a nod going past a stranger on the street. It’s just a reflex response.

I know it’s sounds simple but actually ask someone that and make time for the answer. We see our loved ones under pressure and they see it in us. Just talk.

Was ‘The Rock’ for Mum during her breakdown but when the Consultant asked how I was I bawled my eyes out.

We all trip and fall but you will find your feet again and help someone else walk with you.

Went to psychiatrist Wednesday thru want me off the benzos, clean break. Starting something called Seroquel. It, too, is a bipolar/schizophrenia drug. And the plan is probably to add lithium, yet ANOTHER bipolari/schizophrenia drug. I asked them a couple times of they think I am because they keep pushing me towards those and they said they didn't think I was. So why push the drugs that are meant for them?

Side effect of the Seroquel is MASSIVE fatigue. I woke up this morning, took the pill and we back asleep 90 minutes later.

Was going to try something called a partial hospitalization program next week or week after where you are with counselors psychiatrists and therapists from 9am to 4pm but I can't fathom how with how exhausted this makes me.

Just a quasi rant/update, sorry.

Went to psychiatrist Wednesday thru want me off the benzos, clean break. Starting something called Seroquel. It, too, is a bipolar/schizophrenia drug. And the plan is probably to add lithium, yet ANOTHER bipolari/schizophrenia drug. I asked them a couple times of they think I am because they keep pushing me towards those and they said they didn't think I was. So why push the drugs that are meant for them?

Side effect of the Seroquel is MASSIVE fatigue. I woke up this morning, took the pill and we back asleep 90 minutes later.

Was going to try something called a partial hospitalization program next week or week after where you are with counselors psychiatrists and therapists from 9am to 4pm but I can't fathom how with how exhausted this makes me.

Just a quasi rant/update, sorry.

Hopefully once you are adjusted the fatigue won't hit you as hard. I think its worth giving the partial hospitalizations a go as it will at least give them a reasonable amount of time to assess you.

With regards to your drugs being for schizophrenia it might just be that they are trying everything they can and with mental health it's not a one size fits all. I'm like you though I would be concerned but you've got to trust that they have some sort of plan in mind.

Hopefully once you are adjusted the fatigue won't hit you as hard. I think its worth giving the partial hospitalizations a go as it will at least give them a reasonable amount of time to assess you.

With regards to your drugs being for schizophrenia it might just be that they are trying everything they can and with mental health it's not a one size fits all. I'm like you though I would be concerned but you've got to trust that they have some sort of plan in mind.
Yeah I feel that last paragraph is spot on. It's just weird to me. My father is/was a doctor and he didn't agree with the psychologists diagnosis that I would get addicted to the benzos. My psychiatrist used my admitted "abuse" of alcohol as a reason to keep me from using the benzos but I've not had more than 3 beers in the last 6 weeks total so doesn't that show I'm not "addicted"?

Just aggravating when the Klonopin was really actually working.

Can’t get clean or sober. The addiction has undermined relationships and jobs several times. The rest of my life is a constant knife edge between hiding my substance abuse and trying to keep it going.
Thanks for replying mate. How long have you been suffering?? The reason I ask is you seem from your posts to be sensible and educated. You and I know life and people are constantly changing. We're not the same people we were 10yrs ago and we'll be different people again in another 10yrs. Dont give up on yourself mate - so what if you've tried and failed before, try again, even if you keep falling - having the want inside to change will mean you'll get clean in the end. Suicides never a solution mate - its not a rest or a break from life mate its a complete end to life and your problems dont finish mate they just get thrown on to the shoulders of those you leave behind - who care and love you. Please keep trying brother and if you need help or an ear from a stranger let us know theres many of your blue brothers on here who'll be glad to do anything we can for one of our own.Love you brother, God Bless.