Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because "great" 26 year olds cost twice as much money...

Id say having a core of English players is usually a good foundation for a squad.

Also, they are more likely to come in and hit the ground running as theyve got league experience whereas with overseas players they may not adapt to the league or country.

You've been bleating on for ages about spending 30-35m on Aarons. How many rightbacks are going for double that? It's more that if someone is over 25 you call them an oaf and if they're under 22 you're reapplying the lipstick on your sock puppet.

Because Virginia is young and needs to play games - being third choice this season won’t benefit us or him.

Lonergan will be on peanuts and hopefully won’t be called upon this year.
Virginia is likely leaving us, him going out on loan only benefits us to the tune of 50% of his wages being paid by somebody else, which is immediately counteracted by us giving those wages to Andy Lonergan. If we'd sold Virginia and weren't paying him anything then maybe I could make some sense of it but we're not. I'd have much rather given a youngster a try and let Lonergan try his luck elsewhere.

Virginia is likely leaving us, him going out on loan only benefits us to the tune of 50% of his wages being paid by somebody else, which is immediately counteracted by us giving those wages to Andy Lonergan. If we'd sold Virginia and weren't paying him anything then maybe I could make some sense of it but we're not. I'd have much rather given a youngster a try and let Lonergan try his luck elsewhere.
Yeah. Virginia is leaving us on loan to play games…as otherwise he’d have been third choice here…which is not good for his development.

Tyrer sounds like he is injured so bringing in an experienced keeper for a year makes sense in case Pickford or begovic picks up injuries ?

Maybe our young goalies aren't very good?
Lonergan isn't very good either so we would have been no worse off. It is very unlikely that both Pickford and Begovic will be injured/suspended at the same time so the only time our third choice keeper will likely play is if one of them is injured and the other one gets sent off.

Yeah. Virginia is leaving us on loan to play games…as otherwise he’d have been third choice here…which is not good for his development.

Tyrer sounds like he is injured so bringing in an experienced keeper for a year makes sense in case Pickford or begovic picks up injuries ?
Virginia is going on a loan with an option to buy clause. He likely isn't coming back. So either we plan for replacing him with another young keeper or we kick the can down the road by signing old bench occupiers on yearly contracts. In isolation, this is not a big deal, but I worry that we have little to no faith in our youth set up which is no way to run a club. If our young players are no good then we need to look at changing our youth system, but the same coaches remain, players in the u23s are given contracts into their mid-twenties and so on... This seems a symptom of that malaise to me, we don't trust our youth system to give us a third choice goalkeeper that will almost certainly never play a game so we sign a geriatric who has played 7 games in three years instead. You can say it makes sense but I just don't see how.

Status
Not open for further replies.