Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will happily credit Marcel Brands with all the signings made under his watch - the good, the bad and the Iwobi

What is the plan though?

I'm trying to see a pattern amongst all of the transfer dealings we've been involved in over the past 3/4 years and it's really difficult - Signings like Kean, Richarlison and Godfrey seem like semi-calculated risks (high fees but good ages and potentially profit makers) and the youth that has been brought in makes perfect sense (Nkounkou and Branthwaite seem like promising ones for the future secured at good prices)

So where does that leave the signings of Allan, Rodriguez, Doucoure, Townsend, Delph etc? I just don't see the 'golden thread' or ethos which his appointment was supposed to bring to the club

As did Moshiri.

He made that exact point - publicly - when promoting Brands to the board in 2019.

And that's sound.

You shouldn't be bringing in a manager who doesn't have any view or input into players who'd compliment the side.

Every manager will also have their own contacts and appeal - that should be used.

The key is - Brands has to approve every single transfer because he knows he's accountable, and he knows he's here after the manager has gone.

Well, I've just given examples.

We spent more money on players Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of than we did on 'Ancelotti players'

We are still recruiting players specifically for a manager and thats unsustainable when you keep changing manager.

Allan and James for Ancelotti. Townsend for Benitez. The squad is a complete mish mash of players signed for different styles under different managers.

That shows the DOF model isn't working and that we aren't even committed to it, so I have no idea why we gave Brands a 3 year extension.

Don't think this is fair - Has been said all along that Brands will never buy a player without the manager signing off on him and vice versa - he's prepared to accept recommendations/suggestions from the manager but he has to agree and sign off as well.

That's not a Director of Football. That's an entirely different job description. Bill Kenwright did what you describe.

It's a very definitive way of running a football club - you have a manager who manages the resources given to him, and a Director who directs resources his way. If you muddy the waters, you get Everton.

We are still recruiting players specifically for a manager and thats unsustainable when you keep changing manager.

Allan and James for Ancelotti. Townsend for Benitez. The squad is a complete mish mash of players signed for different styles under different managers.

That shows the DOF model isn't working and that we aren't even committed to it, so I have no idea why we gave Brands a 3 year extension.

Exactly. So because the club has lacked direction, we're constantly bringing in a mishmash of players used to different philosophies and then wondering why they look like headless chickens.

So if the club lacks direction, you have to look at the person who is allegedly responsible for that in his job description.

Reactions: JLW

That's not a Director of Football. That's an entirely different job description. Bill Kenwright did what you describe.

It's a very definitive way of running a football club - you have a manager who manages the resources given to him, and a Director who directs resources his way. If you muddy the waters, you get Everton.

You're preaching to the choir, but this isn't Brands's fault, is it? In the same way we are all pretty certain Benitez and Ancelotti weren't his idea, he can only work in the system he is given

Are we?

Who?

How much have we spent on this unsustainable model?

Keep changing manager? Benitez is the second appointment - the second free agent - we've made since Brands has been on the board - it wasn't his fault Ancelotti bailed.

How much was Allan?
How much was James?

Now, how much was Godfrey. A player Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of;

"He has surprised me because I didn’t know him so well [when he signed]. He was a signing from the club, from our scouts, and he has been really good"

Ben Godfrey cost more than Allan and James, combined.

Is that a passive DoF, who is only activating the whims of the manager?

How much was Doucoure - a player we tried to sign under Silva, before Ancelotti?

Doesn't really fit with the criticism here that Brands is only signing players the manager wants, and that it's unsustainable.

Who else did we sign under Ancelotti? Nkounkou? King? Where those a weak DoF just reacting to managerial transfers too? lol

There's plenty to beat Marcel Brands with - making excuses for him that he isn't responsible, or accountable, isn't one of them.

You're preaching to the choir, but this isn't Brands's fault, is it? In the same way we are all pretty certain Benitez and Ancelotti weren't his idea, he can only work in the system he is given

No it's ultimately Moshiri's fault as he runs the club and is tolerating this nonsense.

But Brands is the Director of Football and he's not directing football. So just like I can't blame Iwobi or Tosun for Everton being stupid enough to pay them, I can't blame Brands for Everton being stupid enough to pay him - but I can say he's terrible at what his job is supposed to be as he just doesn't do it, whether he's allowed to or whether he's incapable of it isn't really relevant.

Last edited:
What statement are you referring to?

@Eggs said "The increasing doubt I have with Brands is whether he has the upper hand anymore when it comes to bringing players in"

You then bold 'anymore' and said "I'm not convinced he ever had it Eggs. Certainly not under Ancelotti or Benitez, and questionable under Silva"

Is Marcel Brands lying then?

My question to you then is very simple. If it's not Marcel Brands who is responsible for transfers - who is?

The answer is - no senior footballer comes into the football club without Marcel Brands approving it.
Is this the Brands thread?

monotnous thread this now ,nothing links wise and just a tonne of people saying who to blame ,we all know who’s to blame it’s a collective

Nobody has a clue who Everton are signing mate.

Nobody who click bait in the media.

Nobody on this forum.

It's been a closed shop since Brands turned up.

There you go - may as well log off - saved you loads of time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.