Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says who?

You could put that claim in that "it's the owner who decides" to all football clubs in world football because the DoF doesn't own the club.

The sheikh who owns City put in a DoF and is completely hands off as he has no knowledge of football. Whereas our idiot is going on radio talking about James McCarthy is family.

Guardiola obviously has influence over transfers but there's no talk of one being a 'Guardiola' signing and another being a 'Begiristain' signing, because there's consistency, no conflict, no chopping and changing based on managerial whims.

The problem with Brands isn't that he 'signs off' on deals based on what the manager wants - it's that it's all he seems to do. Classic example; Matheus Nunes. In for him because Nuno wants him, Nuno doesn't come, falls apart, so in no way was Brands directing football there because, if he was, that player would have been 'signed off on' because he was good for the team regardless of who the manager was. But no, deal dead, Benitez in and hello Andros Townsend.

He's pointless. He's a completely pointless person at the club in terms of being DoF. He's essentially a contract negotiator for who the manager wants, and we had those long before we had a DoF, so he's pointless.

Not having a right back lined up by game 1 of the season is yet another example in a long line of incompetency and lack of planning from Brands.

In a proper DoF model, Brands has lined up the right back options, and he's brought in. Don't even have to wait for a manager to be appointed if one isn't in place, it's just done.

In a proper DoF model, Brands has lined up the right back options, and he's brought in. Don't even have to wait for a manager to be appointed if one isn't in place, it's just done.

There's no excuse for it not to be done. This argument about the manager needing to evaluate the entire squad is a load of rubbish. No competent manager is going to come to the conclusion that we should scrap plans to recruit a full back and go with Coleman and Kenny.

It was number 1 priority and remains so. Any other business should take a back seat till it's sorted. We have a DOF so this falls under his remit. Succession planning and recruitment are Brands responsibility.

The sheikh who owns City put in a DoF and is completely hands off as he has no knowledge of football.

*recalls Robinho and co.

Whereas our idiot is going on radio talking about James McCarthy is family.

Before Marcel Brands, that.

Guardiola obviously has influence over transfers but there's no talk of one being a 'Guardiola' signing and another being a 'Begiristain' signing, because there's consistency, no conflict, no chopping and changing based on managerial whims.

That conversation is happening now on Blue Moon about Grealish being for profile rather than need/Guardiola.

The problem with Brands isn't that he 'signs off' on deals based on what the manager wants - it's that it's all he seems to do.

How much did we spend on transfers when Ancelotti was here?

How much was spent on Brands players (Godfrey/Doucoure) vs Ancelotti players (Rodriguez/Allan)

Classic example; Matheus Nunes. In for him because Nuno wants him, Nuno doesn't come, falls apart, so in no way was Brands directing football there because, if he was, that player would have been 'signed off on' because he was good for the team regardless of who the manager was. But no, deal dead, Benitez in and hell Andros Townsend.

Wait, where are you getting this information from?

Is this like when we only wanted Doucoure because of Silva?

He's pointless. He's a completely pointless person at the club in terms of being DoF. He's essentially a contract negotiator for who the manager was, and we had those long before we had a DoF, so he's pointless.

All DoF will work collaboratively with managers.

For every James Rodriguez because Ancelotti wanted him, you get a Ben Godfrey because Marcel Brands wanted him.

Every manager in world football will have their view on who would be a good player for them.

*recalls Robinho and co.

Exactly my point - came in, made a splash, had the sense to realise he didn't have a clue what he was doing and put professionals in place to run the club.

We've half-arsed the same thing.

You're spot on that Godfrey is a 'Brands' signing, but Rodriguez was an 'Ancelotti' one. That's very clear, as is Andros Townsend for Benitez. This really, really shouldn't be happening, because all you're doing there is creating a case of 'too many cooks' and you get mad imbalanced sides.

'Collaboration' should only go to a certain extent; at some point you have to say 'no, I have targets I've curated over years, if you're the Everton manager and have concerns over an area of the team, give me the position and the problem and I'll sort it'. Brands rarely does that.

His legs have gone and he is regularly out with injuries. We need to do some proper succession planning before he turns into a liability.

We are currently 1 little knock away from Kenny starting league games. Thats not sustainable.
Oh, we need a new RB 100%, but we can start the season with Coleman until the transfer window ends. It wouldn't be a disaster if we had to wait a few weeks into the season - particularly if we get the best player and deal for the club

Exactly my point - came in, made a splash, had the sense to realise he didn't have a clue what he was doing and put professionals in place to run the club.

As did Moshiri.

He made that exact point - publicly - when promoting Brands to the board in 2019.

You're spot on that Godfrey is a 'Brands' signing, but Rodriguez was an 'Ancelotti' one. That's very clear, as is Andros Townsend for Benitez. This really, really shouldn't be happening, because all you're doing there is creating a case of 'too many cooks' and you get mad imbalanced sides.

And that's sound.

You shouldn't be bringing in a manager who doesn't have any view or input into players who'd compliment the side.

Every manager will also have their own contacts and appeal - that should be used.

The key is - Brands has to approve every single transfer because he knows he's accountable, and he knows he's here after the manager has gone.

'Collaboration' should only go to a certain extent; at some point you have to say 'no, I have targets I've curated over years, if you're the Everton manager and have concerns over an area of the team, give me the position and the problem and I'll sort it'. Brands rarely does that.

Well, I've just given examples.

We spent more money on players Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of than we did on 'Ancelotti players'

There's no excuse for it not to be done. This argument about the manager needing to evaluate the entire squad is a load of rubbish. No competent manager is going to come to the conclusion that we should scrap plans to recruit a full back and go with Coleman and Kenny.

It was number 1 priority and remains so. Any other business should take a back seat till it's sorted. We have a DOF so this falls under his remit. Succession planning and recruitment are Brands responsibility.

Don't think this is fair - Has been said all along that Brands will never buy a player without the manager signing off on him and vice versa - he's prepared to accept recommendations/suggestions from the manager but he has to agree and sign off as well.

Whilst there has been a few misses during Brands' time, I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that (U23 signings aside) that hasn't happened up to now

That being the case, we may well have a list of RBs we like, some more expensive than others and with FFP issues clearly a problem he also needed the manager to sign off on which of them would be acceptable - for all we know, we may well have Dumfries/Aarons/whoever teed up and have agreed personal terms with their agents etc, but until we are in a position to actually buy them (after shifting some players) it's a fairly moot point. We have signed three bargain basement squad players in the meantime because they didn't require the FFP jiggery pokery first.

Struggling to see what the problem is

(I reserve the right to come back to this if we don't actually sign a right back this summer as personally I thought it was a bigger priority than one of Doucoure or Allan last summer)

What statement are you referring to?

@Eggs said "The increasing doubt I have with Brands is whether he has the upper hand anymore when it comes to bringing players in"

You then bold 'anymore' and said "I'm not convinced he ever had it Eggs. Certainly not under Ancelotti or Benitez, and questionable under Silva"

Is Marcel Brands lying then?

My question to you then is very simple. If it's not Marcel Brands who is responsible for transfers - who is?

The answer is - no senior footballer comes into the football club without Marcel Brands approving it.
The statement I am referring to is the one in your first reply to me, the one I highlighted in bold.

And I already answered the above question in my last post when I said that "I believe Ancelotti had the final say on players being brought in for the first team and I think Benitez does too".

The reason I think it was questionable under Silva is I'm not sure if he had the final say, but it's fair to say that he had a lot of input.

I suppose the overall point I'm making is that Moshiri undermines Brands role as DOF by appointing managers that like to do things their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.