Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is the precise reason the Director of Football model has failed us - specifically why Brands has.

The role is supposed to provide certainty; it's done anything but.

He should be sacked, put bluntly.
Would sacking him do anything though? If Moshiri is reaching around him to hire the manager he likes it isn't going to matter who the DOF is.

I still don't understand?

What is it you think Brands hasn't stood up for himself/made sufficient opposition to Moshiri over?

Allardyce was before Brands was here. Allardyce was the decision of the previous DoF, Steve Walsh.

Benitez? Why is your assumption that Moshiri wanted him and Brands didn't? He ticks every Brands box in terms of profile (Brands appointed Martin Jol/Ronald Koeman/Advocaat a few times) - Brands if on record repeatedly of talking up the benefit of experience in managers and Brands has publicly endorsed Benitez.

When we sign Ben Godfrey or Lucas Digne - who was that?

When we sign Fabian Delph or Josh King - who was that?

When we made daft bids for Zaha, and then sign Iwobi - who was that?

Do we pick and choose who we credit and who we blame? Or do we just accept that every transfer who comes in ultimately got Brands thumbs up?
I'm not picking a side here between Brands and Moshiri. For me, there share equal culpability for our transfer dealings while they've worked together.

My point is more about the perception of each in their respective roles and the outcome - which is inconsistent at best.

There seems to be a lack of clarity about who does what at the club - who ultimately makes the decisions: Brands, Benitez, Moshiri?

It should be Brands - he should shoulder the responsibility for it and Moshiri should hold him to account. But, because of the way it seems to shift based on each decision we seem to have camps of people claiming 'that's a Brands signing' or a 'Benitez signing' or a 'moshiri signing'.

I think final say should be with Brands. But while there is doubt about the decision making it means Brands can claim he doesn't have control and we have a strategy that pulls in different directions.

Reactions: JLW
Since Brands has come in nothing has been getting leaked out . He shut that down so in theory no one knows what the hell is going on . Said it before but wait till 1st of September and then let the fume begin . Goodison will be full on the first day , hairs will stand to attention when we hear a cars or the siren . Supporters travelling far and wide to see the game . I might be only one of few on this but I’m looking forward to seeing a team that now has a bit of pace about it , a directnesss . I do believe will we see 2/3 outs by the first game . Whatever you think of Benetez he comes across as a work horse , someone who goes into the fine details of things and of his back ground staff I suspect as a team will be % fitter under Benetez than we have been under last 2/3 managers . Just keep the faith blues !!

I think they've given clarity and certainty. I mean, the quotes I've repeatedly shared from when Brands was promoted to the board leaves no doubt.

It's just fans choose to not believe it.

I don't blame them. The logic is like having a committee of managers in charge with no one having ultimate control.

What they're doing isn't the normal Director of Football model, because he doesn't do anything in terms of directing football. So I can't blame fans being baffled.

So if Everton are lying, and Marcel Brands isn't responsible for transfers (or has the upper hand, whatever the hell that means)... who is signing Godfrey, Doucoure and co?

All Moshiri then is it?

Sound, let's credit Moshiri with Digne, Richarlison and co when we also credit him with Iwobi.
So you think the statement from your post I highlighted represents what is happening at the club do you? When is that statement from by the way? You never replied to that? Was it made when he was appointed or more recently?

Anyway, as regards the signings specifically, not everything is black and white. I haven't actually mentioned Moshiri when it comes to players, and in truth I have no idea how much input he has into them. I would have hoped very little. But there's no doubt that Moshiri has chosen the managers and it's those managers I believe have had a big say in players coming in. Richarlison was deffo Silva, and all of Gomes, Bernard, and Mina have openly said that talking to Silva influenced their signing. Not sure about Digne, that was probably down to Brands and Kean was deffo down to him too. I can't imagine him buying Delph so I put that down to Silva and I just don't know about Iwobi, I'd like to think that was Silva influenced too. Branthwaite, Nkounkou and Godfrey I'd put down to Brands, probably Gbamin too. But James and Allan were obviously Carlo signings and I also believe Carlo had the final say on other payers being brought in for the first team, and I think Benitez does too.

I really don't think Brands has the control over signings either he would like to have, or some people on here believe he has.

I think the problem is it’s clear ancelotti bought a couple , possible silva did richarlison and certainly Benitez bought Townsend so clearly the managers get their way at least some of the time so the lines of demarcation can become blurred and the others don’t always seem part of an overall strategy leading to the speculation You mentioned.

The managers will of course input, but - in his own words - Brands has to sign off on them.

I'm like a stuck record but take Godfrey - Ancelotti hadn't heard of him. Doucoure, we tried to sign him before Ancelotti, then we signed him after Ancelotti. Sure, Allan/Rodriguez only happen because of Ancelotti, but they don't happen without Brands' saying so.

Josh King? Clearly, Ancelotti never wanted him - but he still come in.

I think it's simple, me. There's collaboration between the manager and DoF, but we have to say all signings come in with Brands' thumbs up and endorsement. We have to give him the credit, as well as the criticism. It's disingenuous to claim the bad signings was down to Moshiri or Kenwright.

Since Brands has come in nothing has been getting leaked out . He shut that down so in theory no one knows what the hell is going on . Said it before but wait till 1st of September and then let the fume begin . Goodison will be full on the first day , hairs will stand to attention when we hear a cars or the siren . Supporters travelling far and wide to see the game . I might be only one of few on this but I’m looking forward to seeing a team that now has a bit of pace about it , a directnesss . I do believe will we see 2/3 outs by the first game . Whatever you think of Benetez he comes across as a work horse , someone who goes into the fine details of things and of his back ground staff I suspect as a team will be % fitter under Benetez than we have been under last 2/3 managers . Just keep the faith blues !!

The lack of leaks is because often he hasn't had a clue who he was going to get.

Iwobi for instance. Clear as day panic buy on deadline day after failing for Zaha and not having the professional nous to realise it was dead and move on.

He's not a mastermind, I don't know how much more evidence we need at this point to declare him a complete failure. He's not even a Director of Football. It's impossible to actually give him an accurate job title.

I don't blame them. The logic is like having a committee of managers in charge with no one having ultimate control.

What they're doing isn't the normal Director of Football model, because he doesn't do anything in terms of directing football. So I can't blame fans being baffled.

Says who?

You could put that claim in that "it's the owner who decides" to all football clubs in world football because the DoF doesn't own the club.

Koeman bought Klassan
Walsh bought Vlasic
Kenwright bought Rooney
Moshiri bought Sigurdsson

And Barkley was better than them all... was agreed to be sold for £35m. His agent told him to reject terms because Chelsea would throw him £5m in additional signing on fees and buy him for £15m in January as he was injured.

We are a complete joke in the transfer market.

• Bolasie - £28m, loaned out a few times and then released
  • Tosun - £28m, loaned out a few times and will be released
  • Walcott - £20m, loaned out and then released
  • Schneiderlin - £24m, rotted in reserves and then sold for £2m
  • Bernard - Roma wanted him last summer for £15m. Some Chinese club wanted him for £9m in Jan....Rotted in reserves and then released
  • Klassan - £24m, played as one of 5 number 10's in the side, sold for £12m after 6 months
  • WIlliams - £12m, one of the worst players I have ever seen. Released.
  • Cuco Martina - £35k a week for 3 years. Worst signing in our history, and he was a free! 28 and been available for 2 years and has probably had 0 offers. He cannot play football.
  • Sigurdsson. £45m. Brought in to score free kicks - scored 0 in 3 years. brought in to provide set-piece assists... less than 3 in 3 years. Up until May, he was up their with Cuco the clown and Niasse for our worst ever signing.
  • Moise Kean. Only club in world football to have PSG want one of our players and we can't get them to pay ANYTHING. £60m for an average right-back, and they offer us a loan fee and % of his salary. We will no doubt end up loaning him again.
We need to shift Kenny, Delph, Gomes, Sigurdsson & Tosun. I doubt we could negotiate £5m for the lot.

How can a multi-million pound business be run so so poorly?

When you put all the poor signings we’ve made like that, it is particularly damning. Even Iwobi didn’t make the list and he’s cost around £34m but looks set for a life of being loaned out until his contract eventually expires in 3 years time. We’d do well to get £10m for him. Brands doesn’t seem to be very adept at getting actual fees for players.

Is there anyone in the league that has wasted more money than us in the last 10 years? I’d assume not.

So you think the statement from your post I highlighted represents what is happening at the club do you? When is that statement from by the way? You never replied to that? Was it made when he was appointed or more recently?

Anyway, as regards the signings specifically, not everything is black and white. I haven't actually mentioned Moshiri when it comes to players, and in truth I have no idea how much input he has into them. I would have hoped very little. But there's no doubt that Moshiri has chosen the managers and it's those managers I believe have had a big say in players coming in. Richarlison was deffo Silva, and all of Gomes, Bernard, and Mina have openly said that talking to Silva influenced their signing. Not sure about Digne, that was probably down to Brands and Kean was deffo down to him too. I can't imagine him buying Delph so I put that down to Silva and I just don't know about Iwobi, I'd like to think that was Silva influenced too. Branthwaite, Nkounkou and Godfrey I'd put down to Brands, probably Gbamin too. But James and Allan were obviously Carlo signings and I also believe Carlo had the final say on other payers being brought in for the first team, and I think Benitez does too.

I really don't think Brands has the control over signings either he would like to have, or some people on here believe he has.

What statement are you referring to?

@Eggs said "The increasing doubt I have with Brands is whether he has the upper hand anymore when it comes to bringing players in"

You then bold 'anymore' and said "I'm not convinced he ever had it Eggs. Certainly not under Ancelotti or Benitez, and questionable under Silva"

Is Marcel Brands lying then?

My question to you then is very simple. If it's not Marcel Brands who is responsible for transfers - who is?

The answer is - no senior footballer comes into the football club without Marcel Brands approving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.