2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if he was paid a signing on fee which effectively took his wages to 140+k a week but his basic is 90k?

Then why would we want him off the books when he's getting less that Mina, Gomes, Sigurdsson etc to stay within FFP?

He's out highest earner.

Additionally, he'd have a queue of clubs on the continent after him if those were his wages.

But if you're not trying to pass...
doesn't matter. The mere fact that James Rodriguez is on the pitch will occupy defenders more than any player we have or could buy.
I'm not one for getting carried away about certain players but watching him switch the ball to Digne with pinpoint accuracy from near the half way line last season time and time again was something else.
Benitez is going to want to speed things up, get the ball forward fast on the counter. Play to DCLs strengths. That's all well and good but a lot of our players are like headless chickens when they try to speed it up. They look panicked at times. Now maybe Benitez can coach that out of them and maybe he can get them knowing where a team mate might be... but he doesn't even have to do this with James. I've never seen him look flustered, he doesn't have to run. He gets the ball, makes a bit of space for himself and more often than not, picks a good pass, then just jogs off to the next spot he's needed which invariably is the right spot because he's very good at reading a game.
It's been hard to follow everton through constant managerial changes, wasting money on crap players, spinning wheels in muck, season after season looking like a team who cant be arsed. Then we sign a player on a free who has skill not seen since Kanchelskis and people are saying they can see the sense in moving him on???
what has become of us.

Then why would we want him off the books when he's getting less that Mina, Gomes, Sigurdsson etc to stay within FFP?

I don't think it's got anything to do with FFP mate. Clash of personalities and the fact that at best he would only be here for a year. We don't know if James (or his agent) is trying to angle a way out, they might have been non committal and we've gone fine leave then.

He's a fine player but I just can't warm to him the way most have. He doesn't want to be here.
No doubting his talent but given his insane injury record i just think he's a luxury player that we probably can't afford. It's a real pickle because when he plays he 100% makes us a better side and he's capable of that little bit of magic no one else in our team can pull off. The downside is you know he's probably going to miss at least a 3rd of the season and maybe it's just me but personally i thought the way he ducked out at the end of the season was a bit classless. The guy picked and chose when he wanted to play and lived a pretty charmed life here under Carlo, and on the last home game when he could have been there for his team mates and to finally wave off the fans who had been deprived of seeing him, he left to go home. When i see hard luck stories saying he wants to stay but Rafael or the club want him out i think of that picture of him on his private jet with 2 thumbs up whilst his club mates were getting twonked by City.
I hope he stays but i understand the reasons for looking to move him on.

No doubting his talent but given his insane injury record i just think he's a luxury player that we probably can't afford. It's a real pickle because when he plays he 100% makes us a better side and he's capable of that little bit of magic no one else in our team can pull off. The downside is you know he's probably going to miss at least a 3rd of the season and maybe it's just me but personally i thought the way he ducked out at the end of the season was a bit classless. The guy picked and chose when he wanted to play and lived a pretty charmed life here under Carlo, and on the last home game when he could have been there for his team mates and to finally wave off the fans who had been deprived of seeing him, he left to go home. When i see hard luck stories saying he wants to stay but Rafael or the club want him out i think of that picture of him on his private jet with 2 thumbs up whilst his club mates were getting twonked by City.
I hope he stays but i understand the reasons for looking to move him on.
The harsh reality os that if he was anywhere near as good as his best or his reputation he wouldn't be here. I love watching him play but if he's going to be acting the clown I'm not interested in him being anywhere near the club. He might well be happy and have an amazing season and I hope he does but I won't shed a tear if Benitez wants rid.

doesn't matter. The mere fact that James Rodriguez is on the pitch will occupy defenders more than any player we have or could buy.
I'm not one for getting carried away about certain players but watching him switch the ball to Digne with pinpoint accuracy from near the half way line last season time and time again was something else.
Benitez is going to want to speed things up, get the ball forward fast on the counter. Play to DCLs strengths. That's all well and good but a lot of our players are like headless chickens when they try to speed it up. They look panicked at times. Now maybe Benitez can coach that out of them and maybe he can get them knowing where a team mate might be... but he doesn't even have to do this with James. I've never seen him look flustered, he doesn't have to run. He gets the ball, makes a bit of space for himself and more often than not, picks a good pass, then just jogs off to the next spot he's needed which invariably is the right spot because he's very good at reading a game.
It's been hard to follow everton through constant managerial changes, wasting money on crap players, spinning wheels in muck, season after season looking like a team who cant be arsed. Then we sign a player on a free who has skill not seen since Kanchelskis and people are saying they can see the sense in moving him on???
what has become of us.

In quite a few matches, going direct, wide and crossing in to DCL is not going to work. In many matches, an anonymous James who produces one killer pass to score a goal will be invaluable. In other matches where he neither scores nor assists, but plays really well, he will occupy the defenders, making space and time for others to score more directly. Invaluable, and must be kept. One season is not enough to write him off and his contribution!

If we need to sell for financial reasons then why did we sign Townsend, Gray and Begovic ?

Rather not have signed them and kept James.
Agreed. Huge mistake if we sell him. Bernard was bad enough, but this will be a catastrophe.

No, I remember him being very good, despite Carlo's mobbing, scoring a few goals. Were you?
Before the game against Wolves from the mouth of Uncle Carlo who basically gave him a free reign - Ancelotti said, per the Liverpool Echo: "James is out because he was a little bit tired' Imagine if Tom Davies said that, he'd get absolutely slaughtered.
The man has ability but he's a lazy luxury, we can't afford

Status
Not open for further replies.