Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

I quite like Winks tbh, think he’s one of those players that does good things but goes unnoticed before he doesn’t score or assist, kind of like a Lee Carsley/Gareth Barry type who you don’t realise how good they are unless you’re at the game

No. it wasn't very long ago spurs were made up with him though
Hes 25, played 15games in the PL last season. Id say that would take him out of the buy for potential category and most likely the good enough to help push us further category too. Theres a reason he hasnt pushed into being a starter for them.

Winks fell out with Mourinho, but was one of the Pochettino darlings.

Problem you have is that the last year of Pochettino (starting around winter 18/19) everyone put in poor performances. Even the run to the CL final was full of bad performances with 15 mins of magic winning matches in the knockouts. This got worse in 19/20 and Mourinho pretty much dropped Winks. Most spurs fans don't like him because he was (apparently) one of the key dissenters that got Mourinho the boot - even though, ironically, few are bothered about the result.

He's in the same category as Dier and Dele - basically 3 of England's first choice players only a couple of years ago. Short memories.

I quite like Winks tbh, think he’s one of those players that does good things but goes unnoticed before he doesn’t score or assist, kind of like a Lee Carsley/Gareth Barry type who you don’t realise how good they are unless you’re at the game

He's a water carrier, which is fine, you need them in certain set-ups - the problem is he's not a particularly good one.

So I agree with your assessment of him - unremarkable, keeps a game moving etc. - but apart from one thing; the "good" part. He's not particularly good at it. He's Mr. 5/10, every week. Average strength, pace, passing, everything.

I called him a "nothing player" the other day, and that's what he is. The idea of him is fine, it's an unglamorous but required role in a team, but the reality of him isn't.

TLDR; he's more Phil Neville than Xavi basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.