The Kanchelskis transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Limpar was actualy technically better than kanchelskis in terms of talent. By quite a way aswell. But kanchelskis was more potent because he could leave players for dead with his speed. He was more explosive.
The anders limpar of elland road in 95 is the world class talent. Head and shoulders above every single player on that pitch and he ran the show.
Limpar had world class talent. You can split hairs about the term world class player. But his talent was world class.
I loved him in an Everton shirt. Shame it wasnt for longer.

I wrote about that game last year for the 25th anniversary, and you watch Limpar for both the 3rd and 4th goal. The way he runs with his head up etc. Absolutely wonderful player on his day, but also a liability on other days.

Two world class wingers on our books we had at one stage.
Limpar and kanchelskis.
I wouldn't go as far as saying Limpar was world class.

Weirdly I think they only played together a couple of times. The Kanchelskis derby being one of them. Royle praised Limpar heavily after that game then barely played him again before shipping him off to Championship side Birmingham at the end of the season for pennies. Was a very weird time actually.

Every time Kanchelskis' name crops up I immediately think of the Sheffield Wednesday game at Hillsborough - he was brilliant that day. Never mind the adoration from our lot, the Owls fans were also applauding him on occasions he was that good!!
Away at Blackburn that season was another ridiculous performance. There was no real tricks in him either, he just ran really fast, cut in and then blasted it at goal yet he was unstoppable at times.

I know a lot have mentioned about rumours of it falling through at the time, but am i miss remembering or was there even rumours that it wasnt going to happen AFTER He had been paraded on the pitch with his Everton top on and had a press conference and that?

I was only 11 when we signed Kanchelskis and couldn’t believe we had managed to get him. The thing I remember more than anything was the noise in Goodson when he got the ball. All you could hear was the smacking of the seats flipping up because everybody in the place stood up in anticipation when he got the ball. It didn’t matter where he was on the pitch when he picked the ball up you just expected him to do something with it. He was a genuinely sensational player and it’s a shame we couldn’t enjoy him for longer.

Ferguson was extremely ruthless, I remember him questioning Kanchelskis' motivations, although he accepted he was a top professional on the pitch.

To be fair, Utd didnt miss a beat without him winning the league immediately after he left.

We got one great season out of him obviously.

I was only 11 when we signed Kanchelskis and couldn’t believe we had managed to get him. The thing I remember more than anything was the noise in Goodson when he got the ball. All you could hear was the smacking of the seats flipping up because everybody in the place stood up in anticipation when he got the ball. It didn’t matter where he was on the pitch when he picked the ball up you just expected him to do something with it. He was a genuinely sensational player and it’s a shame we couldn’t enjoy him for longer.
Mate yes. The buzz when he got the ball, him sprinting and his overised shirt flagging behind him. An absolute electric player.

Ferguson was extremely ruthless, I remember him questioning Kanchelskis' motivations, although he accepted he was a top professional on the pitch.

To be fair, Utd didnt miss a beat without him winning the league immediately after he left.

We got one great season out of him obviously.
He was in Beckhams way and didn't want a bench role.

Always my favourite memory of Goodison, the silence followed by the roar of seats clacking back, then the crowd screaming the likes of Kanchelskis onward. Was lucky enough to have a season ticket then before life took over, and eventually took me south.

Status
Not open for further replies.