2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn’t get in the Preston team = unlikely to have a future here.
It was a disappointing loan however, the manager and system changed while he wax tgerdd we and he didn’t fit into the new system.
The Preston fans really rated him and he started really well for them.
I guess it’s the difficulty of finding space for a youngster in a struggling team.

Gonna get in here and make an observation about this lad's outlook with Andros and Gray suddenly competing with his spot.

On the other hand, Bernard is gone and Iwobi might be seeing more of the #10 position this season, not to mention the chance of Richy or James moving on.

How is Benitez' record with kids anyway? We have been a bit of a disappointment in terms of development of youngsters in recent years, and I'm worried on behalf of Gordon and the rest of recent academy alumni.

I like Gordon, I think he still has a chance of making it. A good loan to a championship team may well toughen him up. As said by Bluestar, he was unfortunate with the managerial change when on loan at Preston.

Gonna get in here and make an observation about this lad's outlook with Andros and Gray suddenly competing with his spot.

On the other hand, Bernard is gone and Iwobi might be seeing more of the #10 position this season, not to mention the chance of Richy or James moving on.

How is Benitez' record with kids anyway? We have been a bit of a disappointment in terms of development of youngsters in recent years, and I'm worried on behalf of Gordon and the rest of recent academy alumni.

…I don’t think any manager would not play an outstanding youngster if they’re good enough. Benitez will be chuffed if the Academy produces one or two to add to the squad.

I fear Gordon’s biggest problem is between his ears. He’s a talented lad with very decent physicality, it’s up to him to force his way in.

I like Gordon, I think he still has a chance of making it. A good loan to a championship team may well toughen him up. As said by Bluestar, he was unfortunate with the managerial change when on loan at Preston.

….his best chance is to force his way in here. Another loan is more likely to result in the end of his time at Everton.

A full season on loan as starter in a Championship side will be good for the lad. He needs experience and game-time.

A full season on loan as starter in a Championship side will be good for the lad. He needs experience and game-time.

….I see plenty of shouts like this and the assumption is a player be an automatic choice at a lower level but the reality is often very different. Going on loan isn’t some La La Land, points are precious & managers won’t take risks with loanees when they have players they can trust.

If Gordon has a chance, his time is now. if he’s sent on loan it’s a reflection the Manager doesn’t want him, it’s an indication he won’t be an Everton player going forward.

If he stays it’s a good sign.

Last edited:

You joking?
See the flying emoji next to the pig? If he isn't going to get playing time here, he has to go somewhere else to improve. I think playing in the bundesliga would help with his self confidence and speed up his decision making.

I understand Egg's point of view too, but if he isn't going to be in the matchday squad every week, this would be a good route for him.

….I see plenty of shouts like this and the assumption is a player be an automatic choice at a lower level but the reality is often very different. Going on loan isn’t some La La Land, points are precious & managers won’t take risks with loanees when they have players they can trust.

If Gordon has a chance, his time is now. if he’s sent on loan it’s a reflection the Manager doesn’t want him, it’s an indication he won’t be an Everton player going forward.

If he stays it’s a good sign.

Yes, as we essentially saw with the Preston loan.

I think I said to you a while ago, Whittaker being on tour with them makes a massive difference. Even though he is 17 he will be doing everything he can to keep himself in the managers eye for as long as possible.

…I don’t think any manager would not play an outstanding youngster if they’re good enough. Benitez will be chuffed if the Academy produces one or two to add to the squad.

I fear Gordon’s biggest problem is between his ears. He’s a talented lad with very decent physicality, it’s up to him to force his way in.

That's it really. I like the Gray and Townsend signings (very low risk, potentially decent reward) with the fees, but Gordon has to really think he can push ahead of them. If he cant, he wont be playing top division football. Things can be over complicated a bit, but that's his challenge really.

If not, then theres always the next Lewis Dobbin or whoever waiting to push their way in.

For me Gordon needs to be more ruthless, clinical and selfish in front of goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.