2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come mate?

giphy.gif

Guess he's going to finally be unleashed in a central role
Don’t even hint

Don’t even hint

Surely you couldn't be arrested for suggesting Iwobi plays in the middle? I know he's not everyone's favourite player, but he did have a great game there against West Ham.

One can only assume the book price won’t be too high. Loan and option to sign if there ever was one.
My, highly inaccurate I'm sure, calculation puts it at about £14m otherwise it's an accounting loss, which would make all of our "shrewd" transfer business to this point totally pointless.

Mate, either Brands signed him and is useless, or Moshiri and Silva signed him over his head, in which case, he's useless. The DoF is either responsible for all of the incoming signings during his tenure or he's responsible for none of them, I'm not having this pick n mix theory that loads of people seem to run when it comes to transfer responsibility. As long as his title remains director of football then he is responsible for every player who turns up at Finch Farm.
I get what you're saying, but that statement is just wrong - I take it you have never worked for a company where the boss has made a call on something that completely undermines the people he is paying to make that decision? Football management has the ability to suspend common sense, it's an emotional game, fans just assume that owners have a bottomless pot of money, players should do the right thing for the club not themselves....or '...The DoF is either responsible for all of the incoming signings during his tenure or he's responsible for none of them, I'm not having this pick n mix theory that loads of people seem to run when it comes to transfers responsibility. As long as his title remains director of football then he is responsible for every player who turns up at Finch Farm.' I believe that Brands is doing the best job he can, to not acknowledge that the guy paying the bills, or rather his business partner is not allowed to make a call, because he has a DoF, then you are living on another planet, a DoF is essential for a club to build a foundation of success, in a perfect world they would have 100% but he doesn't that's football. So you just live with it because at the end of the day we all have a mortgage, bills and while fans have the luxury of idealism, I imagine that Brands is just trying to do the best he can.

He is supposed to prefer playing centrally, but his one outing in that position under Carlo that I remember wasn’t great.

I don’t think he will be sold but his book value must be about £16.5m now so it’s becoming more possible.

I reality I think he is here for this season, so I think he is more likely to get a chance centrally given all the wingers we are signing.

I get what you're saying, but that statement is just wrong - I take it you have never worked for a company where the boss has made a call on something that completely undermines the people he is paying to make that decision? Football management has the ability to suspend common sense, it's an emotional game, fans just assume that owners have a bottomless pot of money, players should do the right thing for the club not themselves....or '...The DoF is either responsible for all of the incoming signings during his tenure or he's responsible for none of them, I'm not having this pick n mix theory that loads of people seem to run when it comes to transfers responsibility. As long as his title remains director of football then he is responsible for every player who turns up at Finch Farm.' I believe that Brands is doing the best job he can, to not acknowledge that the guy paying the bills, or rather his business partner is not allowed to make a call, because he has a DoF, then you are living on another planet, a DoF is essential for a club to build a foundation of success, in a perfect world they would have 100% but he doesn't that's football. So you just live with it because at the end of the day we all have a mortgage, bills and while fans have the luxury of idealism, I imagine that Brands is just trying to do the best he can.
Look at any thread regarding transfers and you'll find posters itemising our transfers. Koeman signed Sigurdsson, Silva signed Richarlison, Moshiri signed Iwobi, Brands signed Kean etc... Of course I've had a boss who made a terrible decision above my head that I've had to live with, it sucks but it happens infrequently so I get on with it. However, Brands is one tier below the owner in theory and it appears he is overruled constantly, he hardly ever gets to make the decisions, which makes his position untenable and yet he signs a new contract. It's hard to turn millions of quid down, I get it, but the act of signing that contract removes his insulation against criticism, unlike first time around, this time he knew exactly what he was getting into and did it for the lucre. He's fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.