2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
He concentrates for England. He doesn't with Everton.

It's as simple as that.

He's not a true professional.

If he went and played for a team where every game made a difference to winning major trophies he might fulfill his potential as a GK. With us it's obvious he hasn't got that pressure, so he turns up with his A-game when he wants.

That ^^^ is bang on the money...even if I say so myself.
Come on mate, be happy just for one day, just try it ,its not hard lol

Are you actually commenting that you’ve made a good point as you are making it now ! lol

You certainly don’t lack inner confidence do you dave
It's a good approximation of Pickford vis-a-vis Everton. I was anticipating others challenging it, so said its on the money.

As I say I think Pickford is a better keeper . if you want to sell a player, and this may seem random , I’d rather buy a better one than a worse one to replace them .
If we strengthen elsewhere it can be better for us.

Pickford wont perfom for us as he does consistently for England. If he did Ild have no problem with him. He's a bang average PL GK but a fine international GK.

We can get as good for much less than we'd take in cash for him.

Let's do that while his stock is high.

I think you're absolutely spot on davek.
All these adoring fans who only see him play for England just don't realise how he struggles to perform like that week in and week out for us.
I'd sell him I an instant if somebody offers silly money for him and replace him with a mature keeper who really controls his penalty box.
10/10 for England JP but perhaps 8/10 at best during his time with us and some enormous clangers along the way.
A "mature keeper who really controls his penalty box"
And who would that be?

If we strengthen elsewhere it can be better for us.

Pickford wont perfom for us as he does consistently for England. If he did Ild have no problem with him. He's a bang average PL GK but a fine international GK.

We can get as good for much less than we'd take in cash for him.

Let's do that while his stock is high.
So you want to strengthen the club by bringing in a keeper to replace ours even though you seem to accept the replacement isn’t as good as the incumbent and at nearly 30 seems unlikely to improve significantly.

In my opinion that seems an absolutely crazy strategy .

Seems harsh. He had a sloppy semifinal under pressure and horked up a bad Jordan rebound in the final, but recovered phenomenally and otherwise was lights-out in the final.

I get the 'sell' thesis since I feel that way on Keane, and the argument in a sense is even stronger for Pickford since goalkeepers are finally establishing market value, but at the same time a comparable replacement would be pricy.

I look at the Rorschach blot and see a player that has eliminated the worst mistakes because he strengthened mentally. You see one that is in form and is a ticking time bomb because he will eventually be out of form.

We are probably both right on that last one, and we won't know whether I am until we see how he responds to being out of form.
This season he'll be making howlers and costing us.

If he was sold to United, say, he'd fulfill his potential.

He cant do it for us. He cant focus on Everton every game. He just cant.

So you want to strengthen the club by bringing in a keeper to replace ours even though you seem to accept the replacement isn’t as good as the incumbent and at nearly 30 seems unlikely to improve significantly.

No, I dont. Re-read what I said. I said he's a bang average PL goalie.

Pope is more error prone than Pickford....not an improvement imo

This season he'll be making howlers and costing us.

If he was sold to United, say, he'd fulfill his potential.

He cant do it for us. He cant focus on Everton every game. He just cant.

You may well be right.

Neither of us can prove the other wrong. I'm optimistic when I'm usually not, which tends to tell me that I'm right since I'm legit signalling against type. Math is probably on your side.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Pope is more error prone than Pickford....not an improvement imo

absolutely , watching him consistently I realised how much worse he was than the PR machine that pushed him for England would have you believe .

I watched him consistently Make mistakes , I can think of a couple against spurs alone , that would have seen Pickford pilloried but because he pulled off a half decent save here and there Pope was Teflon .

like the rest of us I’ve obviously seen Pickford make mistakes but to replace him with Pope would feel like a significant Step down .

I would like to see our keeper bored out of his mind, with nothing much to do every game, because the other ten players in front of him are actually doing the job they are so highly paid for.
Every keeper, no matter how world class they are, will have clown moments, but they become less relevant when the rest of the team aren't clowns as well.
Having said that, if the opportunity presents itself, then I would prefer we got a calmer, taller, more commanding, reassuring presence between the sticks. Who that would be I have no idea, and if our "insightful board" have no idea either, then we may as well stick with what we've got. Unless someone offers us absolutely silly money for JP, in which case Mr Money will decide for us.

absolutely , watching him consistently I realised how much worse he was than the PR machine that pushed him for England would have you believe .

I watched him consistently Make mistakes , I can think of a couple against spurs alone , that would have seen Pickford pilloried but because he pulled off a half decent save here and there Pope was Teflon .

like the rest of us I’ve obviously seen Pickford make mistakes but to replace him with Pope would feel like a significant Step down .
Let's face it - the media are never going to let his tackle on St Virgil go, and that is just more unnecessary pressure on him. Plus death threats to him and his family from cowardly rs its a wonder that he has managed to perform as well as he has

Status
Not open for further replies.