Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be optimistic if the summer business is solid. For all the talk of the manager the priority has always been ensuring we add pace and power to this squad of players.

You'll have the haters on Benitez's back soon as he draws or loses a game but the reality is we finished 10th and 12th with Ancelotti - the squad isn't great.

Anything over 9th next season and the blokes overachieved at this stage imo.
Reach for the stars mate reach for the stars.

I don’t think we should be setting Unachievable aims or targets but 9th is hardly overachieving when we finished 10th and underperformed last year didn’t we ? By your argument ancelotti did what well ?

Are they back tomorrow and not one new face yet, hopefully that changes soon
To be fair there are very few PL teams that have made first-team signings that weren’t just making loans permanent.

There’s been an international tournament on and we’ve only had a new manager in situ for 5 minutes. Might need a bit of patience on this one.

He'll weed out the shirkers and posers.

I'd really like to see our players finishing games stronger than the opposition.
Streuth Dave. Most teams finish the game stronger than we start it.

The big cosy dog basket is Everton. We have ex players at every level because they 'get' the club. The same players who did 'get' the club over thirty years ago. Which is where the club has remained. Too easy, too soft, and as you say, now perhaps someone who will shake them of their complacency.
I think some are in for a big shock'

I'll be optimistic if the summer business is solid. For all the talk of the manager the priority has always been ensuring we add pace and power to this squad of players.

You'll have the haters on Benitez's back soon as he draws or loses a game but the reality is we finished 10th and 12th with Ancelotti - the squad isn't great.

Anything over 9th next season and the blokes overachieved at this stage imo.

If we would have won just two of those games against relegation fodder at home we would have had a completely different outlook. While I'm not expecting us to finish 4th it has to be at least 7th.

That said without knowing who is staying and who will be bought in that may have to change once the dust settles.

Reach for the stars mate reach for the stars.

I don’t think we should be setting Unachievable aims or targets but 9th is hardly overachieving when we finished 10th and underperformed last year didn’t we ? By your argument ancelotti did what well ?

I think Carlo was bang average - he neither over or underacheived really although my anger with him last season was he had us in a great position to overachieve but blew it with his constant unnecessary tinkering with the team/formation.

Fans have to be realistic - at best we are fighting for 6th-7th next season with at worst probably 11th with anywhere in between an average season and thats dependent on this summers business.

Last edited:

Streuth Dave. Most teams finish the game stronger than we start it.

The big cosy dog basket is Everton. We have ex players at every level because they 'get' the club. The same players who did 'get' the club over thirty years ago. Which is where the club has remained. Too easy, too soft, and as you say, now perhaps someone who will shake them of their complacency.
I think some are in for a big shock'
I hope he takes a pair of pliers and a blowtorch in that place tomorrow.

I think Carlo was bang average - he neither over or underacheived really although my anger with him last season was he had us in a great position to overachieve but blew it with his constant unnecessary tinkering with the team/formation.

Fans have to be realistic - at best we are fighting for 6th next season with at worst probably 11th and thats dependent on this summers business.
So if Carlo was bang average I don’t really understand how 9th is overachieving , unless you’re setting ridiculously thin parameters .

right fighting for 6th , 7th that’s sound I’ll have that and that’s fair but at this exact minute by no measure is 9th overachieving. Unless you’re planning on adding another statue if he did get 6th.

Fans have to be realistic - at best we are fighting for 6th next season with at worst probably 11th with anywhere in between an average season and thats dependent on this summers business.
Bang average Carlo stolen from us by the best club in the world. WE are the ones that are bang average. And unless we have an unbelievable window we will be next season.

Fans have to be realistic - at best we are fighting for 6th next season with at worst probably 11th and thats dependent on this summers business.
Carlo overachieved away and underachieved at home. On average a pretty mediocre season, but the whole point of consistency is eradicating the bad performances.
Carlo proved we could be a top 6 team, we just had to knock out the stupidity at home, and having a crowd back would do a lot of that.

We are now back to stage one with Rat Raffington, in fact we'll be worse off, without Hammy Rodz and Richarlison and nothing to draw decent players in to replace them. We will be very lucky to finish in the top half.

So if Carlo was bang average I don’t really understand how 9th is overachieving , unless you’re setting ridiculously thin parameters .

right fighting for 6th , 7th that’s sound I’ll have that and that’s fair but at this exact minute by no measure is 9th overachieving. Unless you’re planning on adding another statue if he did get 6th.

I would say being realistic at best 6th-7th and at worst 11th. Anything in between is an average season for the current squad although I would say for Benitez's 1st season 8th-9th would be overacheiving bearing in mind Richarlison will be blowing for tugs after 2 international tournaments and will miss our first 3-4 games of the season.

We gave Carlo the benefit of the doubt in his 1st season and we have to with this fella as well.

Carlo overachieved away and underachieved at home. On average a pretty mediocre season, but the whole point of consistency is eradicating the bad performances.
Carlo proved we could be a top 6 team, we just had to knock out the stupidity at home, and having a crowd back would do a lot of that.

We are now back to stage one with Rat Raffington, in fact we'll be worse off, without Hammy Rodz and Richarlison and nothing to draw decent players in to replace them. We will be very lucky to finish in the top half.
In my view , there isn't the slightest chance that we finish outside the top half.

He'll have to finish in the European spots for the season to be considered a success I think. Nearly won't be good enough.

A tough ask but far from impossible.

Some new signings in the mould we are looking for will lighten the mood a bit. Hopefully we can get a few in.
Given his background he has to over achieve

Given his background he has to over achieve

Why does he? because Kev the Rat might say some nasty stuff about him on Twitter? lol

You're pishing into the wind mate Benitez has a job until Usmanov says so - fan opinion will mean nothing if it did he wouldn't be here now after the banners etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.