New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season was one of flux for all clubs. Results were unpredictable and unexpected in many instances, and for us also.

I think the club needs to reset although would accept that Benitez is a very strange appointment if a period of stability is the foremost aim.

A lot will be revealed in the age profile of new signings coming in. Last summer the plan was again to try to fast-forward our way to the top four, but it did not succeed despite looking at times that it might do.

We do not have the flexibility nor resources to spend our way to success. In the most optimistic scenario, all that Benitez can achieve as I see it is to put the nucleus of a squad in place over three years that puts us on the cusp of a sustainable challenge to the top four/six.

If that's not their intention, and it's more ambitious than that or less so even, and they are content to amble along as a boring, mid-table entity, then I do not understand this club at all.

Benitez can at best be a successful interim appointment. It does not mean that we can't hope for anything at all. We can very realistically take a top six position as West Ham have done, in any of the next three seasons, and progress in cups. The key issue for me is would that be built on something that can be sustained and improved upon, and perhaps left to a younger and dynamic manager to take forward in three years.

Competition is fierce but that also means the top sides taking points off each other to a greater degree leaving gaps in the league table to exploit, something Ancelotti failed to capitalize on.

The immediate objective has to be to gain parity with Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, and Leeds. Perhaps West Ham. We can't have notions or delusions. Be around the top six as we were anyway.

The problem is that we need a three year appointment with progressive improvement in points totals and placings but are about to hire the most inherently unstable candidate in terms of likelihood to see out a contract.

Yes last season was unpredictable, but I'm not sure why we would be the big losers from that. We clearly missed our fans more than most teams last season. If anything the chaotic nature hindered more than helped us.

If all Benitez can do is keep us competing for the top 6, that is basically keeping just standing still. To me there's no point making that appointment. Fair enough if we end up having to sell to balance the books, but if money is invested we should be looking to kick on from the 59 points of last season, and close the 8 point gap to the top 4.

Love all this setting of the bar low for RB by his fans... We need to be challenging for EL places next season minimum, if we aren't he can go. I couldn't care less about RB and his legacy. If we are doing this no sentiment stuff we should do it properly. We are bringing him in because he has a record and a cv supposedly of success so the board will be demanding it otherwise why bother,? He isn't going to build us long term he averages two years at best in most of his jobs, he is another short term fix. So over to you RB, in and around the EL places or better or you can go too. That's the job you were desperate for. No excuses.

The difference is though that playing ‘entertaining’ football with poor players usually involves you getting beat a lot and heavily, so you don’t end up plodding along in mid table, you end up in a relegation battle when you realise your right back can’t cross a ball, our midfielders can’t put a pass together, the front two can’t link at all, and the starting CBs are as slow as concrete.

As I’ve said before, I can’t see any option but a season or two of ‘solid’ football to maintain position whilst the squad is improved. It’s not a question of a different manager coming in to spark these players to life, some of them have failed under Martinez Koeman Allardyce Silva Ancelotti. You can’t get a much more varied set of managerial styles than that. Why would they play for a Potter if they won’t play for any of them? The sad truth is that the likes of Keane Coleman Davies Siggurdson Gomes aren’t good enough to play for anyone.
OK, I'll bite....I think this is getting a bit tiresome now. You clearly don't rate the players, and persist in slagging off the same ones, even (almost) in the same order. I think you are trying too hard to be edgy and controversial, and you're painting everything in black-and-white.

You answered my lengthy post on Friday stating you disagreed with all of it, even when I had cited strengths and weaknesses of the players you're slagging, and made comments such as we're crying out for leaders, like Peter Reid and Andy Gray, for example. Of course, I would expect you to disagree with any positives (as you seemingly see no merit in these players at all) so I must've been wrong about perceived weaknesses etc, because you disagreed with everything. I wasn't going to reply, but you've triggered me!

Now, once again, you make it clear you want a mass clear-out, and will keep banging on about these players being useless. I think we've got the message. But to say these players aren't good enough to play for anyone is plainly absurd. You remind me of a lad I used to see a lot back in the 80's and 90's. Intelligent, with a good job (he's FD and deputy CEO for a major publishing group to this day) but had a completely irrational hatred of Graeme Sharp. That's right, the man who's our no. 2 goalscorer of all time. A serial winner at the club and scorer not just of 159 goals, but of some wonder strikes and vital goals, too. And that's the thing when your views become so negative and twisted; it ends up coming across as deranged as well as really boring.

I reckon Silva really hit Moshiri's confidence/trust in hiring younger managers. I remember when he appointed Ancelotti he made a comment on how due to the pressure from tha fans/size of the club you need an experienced hand who can handle the pressure.

I think going forward most of our managers will be of the Ancelotti/Benitez mould unless a top level manager is available who actually would take the job.
I think exactly that re silva - remember we were in the bottom three when he was sacked. Its definitely coloured moshiri’s decision making

Old Ben?

Attachments

• N394cCI2_400x400.jpg
    N394cCI2_400x400.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 28
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 30
There's an argument though, that these are the sort of gambles clubs in our position have to take.

Not in our current position we can’t. Maybe once we’ve secured finance for the stadium, have it built and a more secure squad with no FPP problems then sure. A relegation right now though would be an utter disaster for us. Why would Moshiri give his investment at possibly its most vulnerable point to an untested novice manager? It would be absolutely crazy which is why he didn’t do it. It’s a very very difficult job at the moment due to FPP problems and the lack of quality in the squad. We can’t have a bloke learning on the job.

It's not asking how many points do you think we will get, but more what points target would you be happy with the new manager achieving for it to be considered a good season.

My view is if funds are made available, I'd like to see us increase on last season's points total.
I would like to see an improvement in the playing style. If that means coming 10th again but in the meantime getting another 2 or 3 players in who look like they'll help us in the future I'll take it.

OK, I'll bite....I think this is getting a bit tiresome now. You clearly don't rate the players, and persist in slagging off the same ones, even (almost) in the same order. I think you are trying too hard to be edgy and controversial, and you're painting everything in black-and-white.

You answered my lengthy post on Friday stating you disagreed with all of it, even when I had cited strengths and weaknesses of the players you're slagging, and made comments such as we're crying out for leaders, like Peter Reid and Andy Gray, for example. Of course, I would expect you to disagree with any positives (as you seemingly see no merit in these players at all) so I must've been wrong about perceived weaknesses etc, because you disagreed with everything. I wasn't going to reply, but you've triggered me!

Now, once again, you make it clear you want a mass clear-out, and will keep banging on about these players being useless. I think we've got the message. But to say these players aren't good enough to play for anyone is plainly absurd. You remind me of a lad I used to see a lot back in the 80's and 90's. Intelligent, with a good job (he's FD and deputy CEO for a major publishing group to this day) but had a completely irrational hatred of Graeme Sharp. That's right, the man who's our no. 2 goalscorer of all time. A serial winner at the club and scorer not just of 159 goals, but of some wonder strikes and vital goals, too. And that's the thing when your views become so negative and twisted; it ends up coming across as deranged as well as really boring.
Sharp got dogs abuse mate.
Lead boot shouts at the time.
All good fun,honestly.
Different days back then of course.

I would be very interested in Thomas Frank

Finding the up and coming top manager is how we bridge the gap. The club haven't even bothered trying to find that person. They've given up trying.
Have they ever tried for that? You could possibly have argued Silva if we'd appointed him before his premiership record. I agree with you though we breach the gap with an up and coming top manager and a top class DOF. I think all of the evidence points to a board and an owner who are clueless when it comes to recruitment in these areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.