New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You do have to question about what on earth there is left to talk about between them and Benitez.

I think Greg O'Keeffe said the appointment was very close but not imminent which is surely a contradiction in terms.

I don't think there will be news until next week now.
All about timing now. Managing the message.

Just reading Benitez's wiki now, because I'm bored.

Some interesting accounts in there really. The key takeaway is that he seems to have been miffed at the owners at every club he's been at for one reason or another, particularly about not being backed in the transfer market and how he likes full control of the football side of things...

Makes you wonder how on earth he's going to be able to work with Brands in that case??

Also interesting to note is how he eventually brought the Chelsea fans onside by the time he left. He finished strongly with them all considered, won the Europa League and finished 3rd in the Prem.

The Chinese gig was deffo to pad his pockets as well. Cites the Covid pandemic as the main reason for swerving them.

As for his managerial style...

View attachment 131393
How’s he going to work with Brands?

The same way everyone else at the club seemingly does, ignore the bloke.

I find it amazing that so many people are hung up on the small club comment. Benitez had 36,000 evertonians seething with rage calling him every name under the sun and singing calling him a fat spanish waiter.
If he gets the job and can move on surely we can too.

….not accusing you, but I do wonder if some posters are part of the Benitez PR team. There are a few on a charm offensive trying to influence the many.

I don't get the promotion of managers like Dyche because he 'will give us pride etc'. which is something lost under previous managers.

What you are proposing to do is place a limited manager in a position held by a series of limited managers before him, because his teams are a bit rough.

Has it occurred to you that the reason we have had such poor managers is because of the poor recruitment policies by the board? It doesn't then automatically stand to reason that we have to go back to square one by appointing a 21st century Joe Kinnear.

A proper club would be well aware of many managers around the world and would not be afraid of recruiting someone without previous PL experience (something which is total anathema to our board). Yes any board can get things wrong, but they should be capable of making appointments who can simultaneously improve us overall, get us to play better football (which is vital for revenue streams and brand perception, like it or not) and instill passion in the team.

I honestly think our fans have some kind of Stockholm syndrome - this has been so bad, so let's just make Burnley level appointments to get our pride back?! Madness.
Agreed.

Benitez is a controversial suggestion as manager, but the idea of bringing in somebody like Dyche or Howe simply because they are not Benitez is lunacy.
RM had a chance at Everton and failed .I know managers can learn and improve but I discount time spent as an international manager because it is in no way related to management at club level.

The cruelty shown to matty is sickening.

You probably make your own son flush his own dead goldfish down the toilet.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I suppose different folk just see things in their own way. I think most supporters were wanting Martinez out before we got to the semi final against utd (some reports that the team was even managing itself that day) and although he's hard to hate he had royally pissed me off for the last 2 years but had we won something even though he had nothing to do with it I still would have not cared a jot.

I suppose that said I wouldn't like to see Delph celebrating a trophy win but that would just be a fleeting 0.001% disappointing moment.

I'm sorry I feel that way too. I don't want to, but I have loathed him for years. Was going back through emails last night from the last decade or so and mine are full of bile every time his name comes up.

I've wanted managers sacked before, but I'd still have celebrated a trophy win under them

I've not wanted managers appointed either because I don't like them or don't rate them (Allardyce and Koeman come to mind), but I think (even in the Bisto King's case) I'd still have celebrated a trophy win under them just the same

We have never appointed someone before who I detest though. This is a totally new and horrible experience for me and I'm not enjoying the feeling of trying to distance myself emotionally from it all because Everton are an enormous part of my life, my identity even. This is, as far as I can remember, the first time in my life Everton have done (or are potentially going to do) something which I could ever imagine making me feel this way.

I could rant for ages about how much I hate the guy and why, but everyone will have their minds made up on it already. We could debate as to whether he's actually the right fit or even that good anymore. The crux of it, for me, is that this is my line. I won't give up my season tickets as I'll return the moment he's gone, but I can't go to the match and boo etc, because the team don't deserve that. I can't go and cheer him on though. I'll just stay at home, conflicted by wanting him to do poorly so that he's gone quicker and I can get back to going the match and supporting the team and on the other hand wanting Everton to win, because that's practically in my DNA. The thing I worry about most is that I'll just try to emotionally switch off from the whole thing as a self-defence mechanism and that makes me even angrier when I think about it.

The media narrative on the appointment is a complete joke as well. Lots of articles barely mention the fact he'd be controversial and those that do try to patronise us all.

I will not accept him as manager and I look forward to when he leaves. If the board appoint him then they are not fit for purpose and should all resign because they don't have the confidence of a majority of the support.

Beneathus is a small manager fahct.

Unless it's the owner's idea to prove we are big enough to join the scab 6 clubs and show what he thinks of the legacy fans.

No respecto as the Echo's 3 time journalist of the year might say.

Announcement maybe tomorrow with a lengthy media campaign to follow in order to sell Benitez to wavering fans. That would be my guess.
I suspect benitez will have a well prepared speech mentioning our history and how we need to get back to those levels blah blah, tbh after the disengenious ancelotti reign I'm not even bothered

Status
Not open for further replies.