New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks unstoppable atm.

The concern is that after interviewing 3 times Benitez sounds 100% up for this and wouldn't have opened himself up to rejection in such a public manner.

If he wasn't who he was and he hadn't said what he'd said - purely on a football competency level - I could accept this appointment.
The thing I don't get is that some people don't see who he is, what he's done and what he's said as valid reasons not to want him anywhere near our manager job. Football is built on rivalries, and it matters.

This looks unstoppable atm.

The concern is that after interviewing 3 times Benitez sounds 100% up for this and wouldn't have opened himself up to rejection in such a public manner.

If he wasn't who he was and he hadn't said what he'd said - purely on a football competency level - I could accept this appointment.

He would.

The publicity alone/being in contention is needed.

They fluked the final. Hyppia brought down Shevchenko just after half time when they were 0-3 down and in any other scenario would have got a red card. The ref more than likely thought what was the point as the game was over.

You don't fluke getting to the final in the first place though. But it was also 15 years ago.
Yep and one of the main reasons to me was when his long time assistant Pako quit. Never been same since.

How many of the "It's not about who he managed, its because he hasn't done anything in 5 years" gang would take Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger if they expressed an interest?

In an ideal scenario, we wouldnt be looking at Benitez, we would still have Ancelotti. But it's not an ideal scenario, and every name we've been linked with carries risk. Benitez is a risk, but a different type of risk. He's not a flash in a pan, he has experience both in the Premier league and in Europe, he has a strong CV that includes managing a mix of top tier teams and also a few non top tier, something that was used as a criticism of Ancelotti. He has a history of winning trophies, notably cups.

How many other managers have we been linked with who tick all those boxes? Conte? Not gonna happen. If we could appoint Conte, Benitez would not be in the equation.

Our fans are so paranoid about everything, and worried about what others, especially them, will say.... And I include myself in that... that there appears to be no room for cold, logical decision making.

We need to be a bit more thick skinned and think about what is best moving forward. Benitez probably isn't going to win us the European trophies he has won at several other clubs he's been at. But compared to the other candidates, he is more of the known quantity and all but guarantees a certain level of stability that none but the most hopeful of us could see with all of the other choices.

Take emotion out of the decision, and for me, it's the most logical choice.
None hopefully, assuming they have some semblance of sense. The fact you seem to think that bringing in an 80 year old to do the type of job they haven’t had to perform for 30+ years would be a good idea doesn’t really help your attempt to be the voice of reason here to be honest.

He already did. He "mis-spoke" and meant a small team mentality on the day of the derby at home and playing negatively.

That's what he claims.
We all know it's utter mince though.

As has been said, if he stands by what he said and said his absolute commitment was to do his best here, I can kind of live with it. The minute games start getting won and goals go in a LOT can be forgiven.

Status
Not open for further replies.