New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's nonsense and purely hypothetical. In reverse, you'd say he was so crap at adapting to his squad - two seasons worth of squad - their weakness was exposed over and over again. I make the same point - try that at Everton and see what the fanbase does to you.

His answer to not having a decent goalscorer was to bring in career 1 in 5 striker Danny Welbeck as well.

Assume you're deliberately ignoring his 3 promotions with Ostersund before those two seasons in the top flight, where he also won the cup
Read that back to yourself buddy. Yes, I am ignoring his esoteric rise through obscure Swedish divisions as that cannot in any way be a feather in a potential Everton manager's cap.

There was a very, very heavily edited video of a couple of goals from when he was Swansea boss. They finished 10th in the Championship, he'd had the full season. If that wasn't bad enough in isolation, one of the team goals has five players including the goalkeeper knocking the ball around in their own box under (not a lot of) pressure. He'd need to try and get Pickford, Keane, Holgate, Allan, Doucoure to do that. Nobody can. In Allan's and Doucoure's defence, they weren't brought in with that skillset either, but selling them now would be insane.

Im looking beyond that lot. They shouldnt be the future of this club. I dont think he would see them as either.
Whoever gets this gig is going to have to sweep through this squad.
Next season could be grim as the new manager will have no choice but to deal with them for at least a season.
Good luck.

Read that back to yourself buddy. Yes, I am ignoring his esoteric rise through obscure Swedish divisions as that cannot in any way be a feather in a potential Everton manager's cap.
Also, it's massively incongruous to ignore the context of the teams he's managing. Just saying "15th in the prem" means something completely different if he's managing Brighton than if he's managing Everton or Arsenal or Liverpool.

And you can say what you want about Sweden, but in any league system if you take a team from the 4th tier to the first that's an achievement

Hang on, Potter's league finishes are:

Osterund : 8th, 5th in a tinpot league
Swansea: 10th in the Championship
Brighton: 15th, 16th

And people genuinely think there is an argument for appointing him. Holy wow.
They had two successive promotions under him and got a place in the top flight for the first time ever. Won the Swedish Cup for the first time and got through their Europa League group. I'd be ecstatic with that if I were a fan.

There is an argument for appointing him based on his potential and the innovation he has shown. That's all it is. We need someone who can fit to where we are now and develop their career in tandem, post the earth-shattering appointment we last made who scarpered off.

I haven't yet seen the perfect candidate that would unify everyone and take the job. Just saying that it isn't outlandish by any stretch to have Potter under consideration.

I'll wholeheartedly back that person if someone suggests who it might be.

I must admit the idea of Potter as Everton boss holds an increasingly (morbid?) fascination for me.

Still can't believe his name is being mentioned semi-seriously (or even seriously). It all just seemed to relate to the cranks and WUMs partaking in the Carlo wars during the season.

Fascinating because we'd switch manager profile dramatically. That has an effect on the squad. What would James make of him, for instance?

What profile of player would he look to sign with a good budget? Again, I'd expect a shift in policy. Would he be more aligned to the 'Brands signings' rather than big names?

Would he get time and patience? Or would we just end up with another round of mismatched signings to further unbalance a messed up squad?

So much fun to be had!

Status
Not open for further replies.