New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi mate, no probs.

1 - We will still be heavily involved with Mendes. Our owners own a percentage of his Gestifute company, so they will always have a relationship. We're also set to appoint a Mendes client in Bruno Lage, so he still has a huge say here!

2 - I did, but it was more hope. As I said, he was a legend here, he still is. People were gutted to lose him, we'd seen so much **** over the years, he changed it all and he's also a great person, he's humble, he connected to the club and the city. He gave £250k of his own money to help kids struggling in poverty in the area! He's guaranteed a brilliant reception at Molineux forever.

So I always hoped he'd turn it round, we all did, but if I was a businessman making the decision coldly, I'd have to say no though. The truth is we were poor before lockdown and even with Jimenez, he played ten games this season. The Jota sale gets slightly overplayed IMO, and Doherty, they have effectively been replaced by Neto and Semedo, who both did well.

As for younger players, he did, but he was forced too. He was adamant for years we needed a small squad and rely on youth outside that. Our injury record was outstanding until this season, and Nuno actually admitted his small squad approach needed changing moving forward.

I'm sure you will still get Mendes players. Many of our fans were hoping (dreaming) of getting James Rodriguez because of the connection, but he went to you and you had finished below us. But, yeah, the noises from here at the end were that Nuno always favoured Mendes' players despite supposedly having free reign on who to sign.

I get why you're underwhelmed, we're doing what you're advocating. We're appointing Lage who is supposed to be an all-out attacking manager and a different approach. As to whether it will work, I genuinely don't know. I think it's an incredible risk from our board and it could be genius or the stupidest thing they've ever done. As a natural pessimist having supported Wolves for 30+ years, I'm leaning towards the latter but I do have some optimism in that we have good attacking players who have been restricted in the past year.

Thanks for that mate, and again a really interesting overview.

I am seeing a fair few comments saying that a positive of Nuno is look at the outstanding players he brought to Wolves, but it doesn't really look like he brought them per se. My understanding is similar to yours that Wolves will still get a selection of Mendes's players and there has to be some question marks as to how he would fair without that network of players. He might be fine, but it's a bit of a risk factor to me. It seems like he has a decent relationship with Mendes, but I doubt he will be able to replicate what has gone on at Wolves.

What do you think went wrong for Nuno? Do you think he hit a glass ceiling as to where his football would take him? The risk here for us, is we finished with 59 points last season, and I'm not entirely convinced that Nuno is going to be able to take a side much beyond that (if that makes sense?) I am probably a bit more sympathetic to him than you and will give him more mitigation- losing those 2 lads was massive for Wolves, but it does appear like some of the rot had set in?

I'm not surprised Wolves are doing that. Everton are quite a strange and small c conservative club at board level and they rarely look for managers outside of the UK. We are in quite a unique position in that we have finished in the top 4 once and not been relegated in 60 odd years, and there is always this caution to how we do things. I mean it's almost a statistical impossibility over 30 years to do both of those things and a lot of that is reflected in the outlook of the Chairman Kenwright who just won't take risks.

You will probably laugh but I'd want us to to at least have a dart at a Ten Haag, a Gasperini or Galtier. 10m quid p/a might tempt them. If not I'd prefer either Favre or Rangnick who have managed big clubs in Germany/France. That's not meant as any offence to Wolves, but you guys rode the crest of a wave with Nuno, which in a lot of ways is the easy bit, but going from say 7-10th to the top 6 becomes a lot harder.

It seems a good time to move him on for Wolves. You are right to say what you do about a small squad, I remember he did that with Wolves and remember thinking once some injuries hit, he will struggle. But that system he had you playing when first got promoted was fantastic.

The fact that conte is considering an approach from spurs shows we should at least make an attempt for him....
If they lose Kane they've got nothing that we can't offer....
For the first time in about a decade I agree with that. They only have Son who’s elite level if Kane leaves and I’d suggest he’ll get more money here than from tight arse Levy

Honestly think people need to just come to the reality that he won’t actually come here, not because we’re a joke or Brighton are bigger, I just genuinely believe he’s completely invested in the project he’s got at Brighton and will want to see it through.

They’ve got a good setup, and he seems to have a good eye for talent himself and I think he thinks he can make Brighton a European contender... he may never actually do that, but I can’t see him leaving his set up at Brighton.
Wish we had a manager who was invested in the project...

Not really. We have a much bigger transfer budget (due to spurs being fairly skint), and the teams finished 3 points away from eachother. Arguably a better team if Kane leaves too. I'd say we're equally as attractive with the money we have.

Based on 1 season. Overall they have champs league finalists in their squad, they're a bigger name in Europe with a world class player (at the moment) and based in London.

We're everton who last finished 5th back in 2013 or so.

It's delusional.

Going from Ancelotti to some absolute no-mark who Wolves don't think is up to taking them to the next level would just be classic Everton.

nuNO.gif
Wait till NES gives Gomes a pay rise and a new 5yr contract.

Honestly buddy I have no idea, my head is currently on loan somewhere down the road, it's rolled clean off against this Moyes / Nuno Hobson's Choice

Well if it makes it any easier you console yourself safe in the knowledge that the back up contingencies are Marco Silva, Roberto Martinez and Steven Gerrard. It's hard to see anything other than fewm at the end of this episode!

I mean if Gerrard rocks up here, the whole of Liverpool on both sides are going to be an absolute state.

No, Mendes loyalty is with Wolves owners, not Nuno. Wolves will have first pick on any of his players, then am sure Nuno might ask for some, but for sure they will all be filtered Wolves way.
Wolves fan here, while Mendes has loyalties with us due to our owners stake in Gestifute, Mendes also has loyalties with Nuno too.

Nuno was Mendes' first ever client way back in the day and they are very good friends. He's been given Mendes players wherever he's been at, so you could see yourself have some of his players come your way, and that isn't just limited to Gestifute clients. Mendes has influence at clubs all over Europe, most notably, Atlético Madrid, Monaco, Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Valencia, Lazio, Olympiakos, Roma now with José going there, and many more. At these clubs it doesn't matter if they are Gestifute clients or not, Mendes still facilitates the deals.

For example, Jimenez is not a Gestifute client, but Mendes still facilitated his deal to us because he came from Benfica.

It's recency bias, but I'd be wary/concerned based on what I saw this season at Molyneux. Outside of the past few months he's been very reticent to blood youngsters, he's shown there was a distinct lack of a plan B and has placed huge reliance on the performance of one or two individuals.

Forgive me for being cynical, but we've seen enough of that at Goodison in recent years for Nuno to be raising massive red flags for me.

Is the recency bias thing working against Santo too though? That before this season he was very highly thought of?

To be fair the media seem to be banging the Moyes drum the loudest and saying he’d be interested in a return. I’m not sure he’d be keen to come back after being passed over last time and what he’s achieved with West Ham.

Hes been linked at every time we've brought in a new manager. Even when he was unemployed, he was favourite for the job and didn't get it. So why would we suddenly get him back now?

Status
Not open for further replies.