Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me a good DOF has to have a say 70-75% success rate on signings to succeed in this competitive league so basically for every 4 signings we make we can afford for 1 to be a dud providing the other 3 offer something to the squad in terms of productively.
Gomes
Iwobi
Gbamin
Delph

I would add Bernard to that list too personally plus Kean he is currently one of the best youngest in Europe who is likely to be sold for north of £30m.

I'd argue that Gomes was playing well before a serious injury and Gbamin is hardly Brands fault after two freak injuries but for the money spend yes we should be better.

Also I think we all need to realise that £20m is the norm for standard player level nowadays no matter how horrible that sounds.

Brands had bought 20 signings if you include all loans and Branthwaite into the club and to have those 7 including the two who had serious injuries, I'd say 13 from 20 is actually good.

Had Brands come in as our first Director of Football, I really do think we wouldn't be in so bad of a mess with wages, fees etc.

I would also add that many more clubs have worse signing than those "7" for equal or greater money spent off the top of my head:
Man City - Mendy £50m
United - Van De Beek - £35m
RS - Keita - £54m
Newcastle - Joelinton - £40m
West Ham - Yarmolenko - £18m
Spurs - Ndombele - £54m

It's all relative but clubs make bad signing every now and again

Gomes
Iwobi
Gbamin
Delph

I would add Bernard to that list too personally plus Kean he is currently one of the best youngest in Europe who is likely to be sold for north of £30m.

I'd argue that Gomes was playing well before a serious injury and Gbamin is hardly Brands fault after two freak injuries but for the money spend yes we should be better.

Also I think we all need to realise that £20m is the norm for standard player level nowadays no matter how horrible that sounds.

Brands had bought 20 signings if you include all loans and Branthwaite into the club and to have those 7 including the two who had serious injuries, I'd say 13 from 20 is actually good.

Had Brands come in as our first Director of Football, I really do think we wouldn't be in so bad of a mess with wages, fees etc.

I would also add that many more clubs have worse signing than those "7" for equal or greater money spent off the top of my head:
Man City - Mendy £50m
United - Van De Beek - £35m
RS - Keita - £54m
Newcastle - Joelinton - £40m
West Ham - Yarmolenko - £18m
Spurs - Ndombele - £54m

It's all relative but clubs make bad signing every now and again

I agree mate its impossible to not sign the occasional dud but look at our bench yesterday:

Gomes
Delph
Benard
King
Iwobi

All signed by Brands - what do they offer in terms of pushing the first team for a starting spot or even offering some kind of threat off the bench?

I feel sorry for King but the others have had plenty of opportunities and offered very little and ultimately thats on the bloke who's signed them.

Slomes gets a lot of excuses regarding his injury and I don't doubt it would have affected him physically - but prior to that injury he was bang average for a lot of last season the away game at Villa for example was the worst solo midfield display I've seen since the days of Phil Neville.

For me a good DOF has to have a say 70-75% success rate on signings to succeed in this competitive league so basically for every 4 signings we make we can afford for 1 to be a dud providing the other 3 offer something to the squad in terms of productively.

I look at Brands signings and if you are being very generous and including the likes of James/Allan who were Carlos boys let be honest his success rate is probably around say 50%? Which even then means for every 2 players he signs 1 doesn't offer us much which ultimately is poor and unsustainable financially for a club like us bound somewhat by FFP.

Thats the problem I have with him on top of the fact we have no decent academy players looking to be coming through.
Im not sure about that... Sevilla under Monchi have a success rate way lower than that and yet he has taken them from the second division to fairly regular champions league and a load of trophies.

Brands should be viewed purely through the lens of whether he is building a sustainable, successful club that is improving long term (in my opinion of course).

My argument isn't Walsh being better than Brands though - you're basically offering a defence of Brands 3 years at the club of "well he isn't AS bad as Steve Walsh".

Thats like a bird bringing home Stalin to meet her parents and saying "he aint AS bad as Hitler!!!"
Are we talking looks or character here? lol

Im not sure about that... Sevilla under Monchi have a success rate way lower than that and yet he has taken them from the second division to fairly regular champions league and a load of trophies.

Brands should be viewed purely through the lens of whether he is building a sustainable, successful club that is improving long term (in my opinion of course).

With La Liga you have 3 very strong teams then Sevilla and Villarreal with little cash swilling around outside the big 3 - right now Aston Villa are 11th and could easily be where we are in the table its that competitive in the top 10-11 sides.

Leeds and Villa spent about £100 million this summer every club has money in this league its becoming more about how well you spend it.

I agree mate its impossible to not sign the occasional dud but look at our bench yesterday:

Gomes
Delph
Benard
King
Iwobi

All signed by Brands - what do they offer in terms of pushing the first team for a starting spot or even offering some kind of threat off the bench?

I feel sorry for King but the others have had plenty of opportunities and offered very little and ultimately thats on the bloke who's signed them.

Slomes gets a lot of excuses regarding his injury and I don't doubt it would have affected him physically - but prior to that injury he was bang average for a lot of last season the away game at Villa for example was the worst solo midfield display I've seen since the days of Phil Neville.
Of course they all got signed by Brands because the crap before was worse so we got rid of them.

https://media.tenor.com/images/5c735243bd7bf04b6bbe5c5b55b28b72/tenor.gif?ctx=share

Nothing wrong with Pickford the past month or so. Since he's returned from injury he's been great. In fairness to Ancelotti, he's handled it great by bringing in Olsen at times this season just to help Pickford realise he's not irreplaceable - he's been much better.
You could argue that he is having a better season than Allison, Lloris, Schmeichel, Leno, Patricio, Meslier, Fabianski and Areola

But your argument is "Brands is doing a better job than Steve Walsh so lets keep him" like thats some sort of achievement.

People argued the same over keeping Marco Silva because "he wasn't Alladyce".

It wouldn't surprise me if he is the highest paid DoF in Europe, he'll certainly be one of them. Yet people are happy that he has done a bang average job, the success rate should be a lot higher for someone on as high a salary and with a reputation as big as his.

I’d say the main positions we need are RB, RW, CM, AM, then a versatile forward who can play across the line
Yep - an entire new right side is a must. We are desperate for better attackers next season. Our main source of goals this season has been crosses in to DCL, yet we have no real width/wide options in the team.

I think Ancelotti wants another centre back as well - I would sell Keane tbh, I really don't think he is up to scratch. Mina seems to pick up to many injuries and Holgate seems to be more of a utility option. Godfrey and another centre back...

Oh and another midfielder that can move around...and stay fit...

Get the cash out(again) please Moshiri...promise we won't waste it this time...

With potential outgoings as well , could be our busiest ever window...be a tricky one with international competitions all over the place.

But your argument is "Brands is doing a better job than Steve Walsh so lets keep him" like thats some sort of achievement.

People argued the same over keeping Marco Silva because "he wasn't Alladyce".
No my argument is he is doing a great job considering the last guy fùcked it up

Status
Not open for further replies.