2020/21 Josh King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt he will stay. His contract is up and he’ll get a few contract offers from other teams. Why stay here on the terms you are mentioning when he can probably get a three year deal somewhere, West Ham, Celtic etc.
Not sure it's up to him...I think the club have the option to extend for another year...I might be wrong but that's my understanding of the terms. The only thing is if that extension is worth the rumoured 5 million fee to bournemouth...probably not.

You are failing to factor in the other aspects though. King's arrival allowed us to send Tosun out on loan, and it was widely reported at the time that:

a) Besiktas had agreed to picking up Tosun's wage entirely; and

b) King's wage is slightly lower than Tosun's.

We essentially paid a couple of million to replace Tosun with King, and that's not bad business at all considering Tosun has been an abject failure here.
So we replaced someone who's contributing nothing with someone who's also contributing nothing? We could have just sent Tosun out on loan and kept the money. People keep saying King is short term cover but we're not even using him as cover when DCL is out.

Not sure it's up to him...I think the club have the option to extend for another year...I might be wrong but that's my understanding of the terms. The only thing is if that extension is worth the rumoured 5 million fee to bournemouth...probably not.
I’ve not seen that anywhere, but if it is the case, then fair enough.

So we replaced someone who's contributing nothing with someone who's also contributing nothing? We could have just sent Tosun out on loan and kept the money. People keep saying King is short term cover but we're not even using him as cover when DCL is out.
Except Tosun would never have been allowed to leave if there was no other cover available in the squad for the CF. As it was, Tosun could not be used as a wide forward at all whereas King can... and we NEEDED Tosun to go out on loan, in a last ditch attempt to get some sort of fee back for him. In fact, I'd say the only way the King purchase can truly be said to be a failure is if we don't manage to punt Tosun away this summer for between £5m and £10m.

Add to that the fact that at the time we KNEW Tosun was incapable of contributing any further to our campaign (he's proved repeatedly that he offers nothing), whereas King at least has a track record of moderate sucess in the Prem. Tosun's best season ever in English football is only marginally better than King's worst season ever.

I agree that it's frustrating that King hasn't scored or made an assist since he's arrived. But let's not pretend Tosun was any good.

Came on did a job almost scored as well... Done more in those minutes in the win against West Ham than Klassen Sandro and Tosun put together. Prudent signing!

Except Tosun would never have been allowed to leave if there was no other cover available in the squad for the CF. As it was, Tosun could not be used as a wide forward at all whereas King can... and we NEEDED Tosun to go out on loan, in a last ditch attempt to get some sort of fee back for him. In fact, I'd say the only way the King purchase can truly be said to be a failure is if we don't manage to punt Tosun away this summer for between £5m and £10m.

Add to that the fact that at the time we KNEW Tosun was incapable of contributing any further to our campaign (he's proved repeatedly that he offers nothing), whereas King at least has a track record of moderate sucess in the Prem. Tosun's best season ever in English football is only marginally better than King's worst season ever.

I agree that it's frustrating that King hasn't scored or made an assist since he's arrived. But let's not pretend Tosun was any good.
We don't have to replace crap players who do nothing at all with other crap players is my general point.

Nobody thinks Tosun is good. If we're lucky we might be rid of him for a nominal fee in January after he's back from his knee injury.

always found it strange people that advocate adding more proven crap to the squad

We only added him for 6 months. He was needed in case both DCL and Richarlison got injured. This could have happened and people would have been up in arms. My only complaint is perhaps he could have been used a little more from the bench or maybe started an odd game when James was unavailable.

We only added him for 6 months. He was needed in case both DCL and Richarlison got injured. This could have happened and people would have been up in arms. My only complaint is perhaps he could have been used a little more from the bench or maybe started an odd game when James was unavailable.

my post was a reply to someone who wants to sign him permanently though

We haven't actually seen if he his decent or not. He's been injured and is only getting limited game time. He's worth keeping to see what a proper preseason can do. Of course we should still buy some quality as well

He gets 5 minutes a game. Want to see how he plays from the start. Get him in a 4-3-3 with Rich and Dom and let’s see how he does. Can it really be worse than trotting Iwobi out for his 50th try at it?

I still think he’s decent and it’s a situation where Carlo didn’t want him from the get go so isn’t willing to give him a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.