New Everton Stadium Discussion

I think that talking about the pandemic still dominating business and sport in 2024 is more interesting... Premiership footballers on minimum wage.

Ego Te absolvo.
you-know-i-7fobhb.jpg

Again mate, they really don't care if its a success.

Of course they will weigh up the pros and cons and the risks.

But I doubt they factor in a global stadium ban lasting the next 25 years.

They will care.

A bank will care if they are lending the money.

A group of individual investors would care if they group together and lend the money.

Even Usmanov will care if he lent the money but the stadia ended up being useless.

If they didn't care, they wouldn't bother with building one.

They will care.

A bank will care if they are lending the money.

A group of individual investors would care if they group together and lend the money.

Even Usmanov will care if he lent the money but the stadia ended up being useless.

If they didn't care, they wouldn't bother with building one.
And round and round we go.

Your whole strawman is built around a stadium ban that wont even be a thing in September this year.

So lets revisit it then, see whos right/wrong.

Not sure if you are being obtuse or just cant read.

I can read. I have read your opinion that an ongoing or re-occuring ban from stadia would be of extremely low concern to those that invest in stadia.

I asked whether your opinion was the same pre-vaccine roll out?

And I wonder if it will remain the same should there be new viruses that cause similar or worse upheaval than Covid-19?

Your response was to describe your opinions as facts and call me a tit.

And round and round we go.

Your whole strawman is built around a stadium ban that wont even be a thing in September this year.

So lets visit it then, see whos right wrong.

That's been the debate today, but you are now claiming that those investing won't even care if it's a success or not, which is ridiculous. Far more ridiculous than suggesting a world-wide pandemic that is currently causing an outright ban on stadia attendance may have some effect on stadia investment.

I mean, after all, they don't care if the stadium remains empty for the next 50 years.

Ridiculous!

That's because it's not going to be empty. And what you said about 3rd, 4th waves or new viruses is what makes your argument less 'salient', as you are saying we all have to wait for what before moving on. Well when? You can't just get to summer and think all will be OK. Next year? Year after? and by that time something else could have popped up. I don't remember stadiums getting knocked down after Spanish flu hit...

Bankers want to invest money to make more money, as long as the loan will be repaid they don't care and whether they want to lend to someone is defined by income and pandemic or not we still earn over 100 million a year.

They do a bit. Cos if Everton go pop, the ground will be theirs to try to sell/knock down and get the change back.

And as you know that helps reduce the risk to the bank as they at least get something back if we default. They may have seen the eyesore the them lot play in and think well if we can't pay, maybe they will want to take our ground...again.

But what they really know is two other things, we are unlikey to go to pot within 10/15 years and in that time we would have paid a fair chunk of that off. Would someone as rich as Moshiri (+ others) risk losing what they have already paid upfront and continued to pay thus making their asset (Everton) almost worthless? And even if the unthinkable did happen and we folded NewCo Everton would still be the tennant to be able to continue paying the money back to the bank or other vehicle that bought it out. The balance of the loan could be extended at that point to reduce outgoings if income has dropped but inflation would probably even that out anyhow. Just like your mortgage becomes more affordable as you earn more and the loan value decreases.

I'd say they are pretty relaxed about it all.

That's been the debate today, but you are now claiming that those investing won't even care if it's a success or not, which is ridiculous. Far more ridiculous than suggesting a world-wide pandemic that is currently causing an outright ban on stadia attendance may have some effect on stadia investment.
When the banks granted me a mortgage they didn't care if I made a happy and successful home.

I can read. I have read your opinion that an ongoing or re-occuring ban from stadia would be of extremely low concern to those that invest in stadia.

I asked whether your opinion was the same pre-vaccine roll out?

And I wonder if it will remain the same should there be new viruses that cause similar or worse upheaval that Covid-19?

Your response was to describe your opinions as facts and call me a tit.

So you cant read, cos thats not what I said, nor what you asked.

I havnt mentioned vaccines.

I have said that if it was announced "no crowds ever", it would not be a risk factor, cos it wouldnt get built. The risks are getting the annual payments, and your money back. If it does not get built, there is no risk.

The people loaning the club the money are not arsed about success or failure as they will get their money back no matter what. It’s really as simple as that.

This from Greg Okeefe in the Athletic

Don’t expect to see the diggers and cranes descend on the Bramley-Moore Dock straight away. Although plans can now progress for the club to begin work this summer, there are a few procedural formalities to conclude before then.

First, Everton will formally complete their purchase of the land at Bramley-Moore from its owners, the property and infrastructure giant Peel Holdings for a pre-agreed fee in the region of £22 million. The club and Peel signed a heads of terms agreement in March 2017, which was always set to be sealed upon planning approval. Next, they will formalise the status of Laing O’Rourke as their contractor, and draw up a detailed build schedule with an itinerary of dates, from the opening remedial work at the dock to completion.

What about the funding?

Everton have a shortlist of preferred partners from around the world to fund the stadium. They range from banks to investment funds. “It’s a very attractive proposition to investors,” says Frank McKenna, the founder of private-sector lobbying group Downtown in Business. “It’s on an iconic site with potential for more than just football — you could imagine the stadium hosting big artists like Beyonce, and it’s a development that investors will get a return on.

“Everton won’t be scrambling about for investors. I suspect they will be able to be selective and pick the best of a bunch.”

It could be a matter of weeks or a few months before the club announce their partner although it is believed one group is already in pole position.

What about the naming rights?

Everton announced last January that they had struck a deal with USM, the company owned by Farhad Moshiri’s business partner Alisher Usmanov, over naming rights.

It saw USM pay £30 million for the exclusive option of becoming the ground’s main sponsor; and included the initial terms of an agreement on a multi-year deal should they decide to trigger the option. In the coming weeks, Moshiri will be in touch with his friend Usmanov to discuss the next step.