New Everton Stadium Discussion

I think you are being silly, tbh.

I'm not claiming to be the commercial property expert that you are. I don't think I need to be a commercial property expert of your standing to assert that a continuation of the current ban on stadia attendance would be of concern to investors in stadia development should the ban remain in place.

In fact, you go on to state that a continuation of the current ban would mean that investors wouldn't even entertain investing in stadia at all should the current ban remain in place, and I agree with you. That really is what has underpinned my argument; that stadium bans are bad news to investors in stadia!

It doesn't even have to go to the extreme of never allowing any fans in attendance ever again. Just social distancing measures have the potential to turn a stadia allowing attendances of 50,000 into attendances allowing 25,000 etc.

Admittedly, I don't know what the future holds. But it's silly for us to agree that a continual ban on stadia attendance would put an end to stadia investment, and then claim that I am being ridiculous for suggesting that there is risk in stadia investment.
The people who lend us money arent investing in the Stadium.

They are lending us money.

They really don't care if Bramley Moore stays empty for the next 50 years, they will still get their money back.

The salient point that you missed.

I'm not claiming to be the commercial property expert that you are. I don't think I need to be a commercial property expert of your standing to assert that a continuation of the current ban on stadia attendance would be of concern to investors in stadia development should the ban remain in place.

In fact, you go on to state that a continuation of the current ban would mean that investors wouldn't even entertain investing in stadia at all should the current ban remain in place, and I agree with you. That really is what has underpinned my argument; that stadium bans are bad news to investors in stadia!

It doesn't even have to go to the extreme of never allowing any fans in attendance ever again. Just social distancing measures have the potential to turn a stadia allowing attendances of 50,000 into attendances allowing 25,000 etc.

Admittedly, I don't know what the future holds. But it's silly for us to agree that a continual ban on stadia attendance would put an end to stadia investment, and then claim that I am being ridiculous for suggesting that there is risk in stadia investment.

And if you think a permanent ban will remain, you would be correct.

But you asked why anyone would drop £500m on a ground now. The reason is because the risk of a permanent ban is zero to nil. And thats being generous.

I mean even if

The people who lend us money arent investing in the Stadium.

They are lending us money.

They really don't care if Bramley Moore stays empty for the next 50 years, they will still get their money back.

The salient point that you missed.

Why pay a premium for the riverside location then?

Why not build it in the Orkney Islands and have nobody attend?

I mean, after all, they don't care if the stadium remains empty for the next 50 years.

Ridiculous!

Of course, I hope you are correct.

I don't disagree with any of that, and the favourable conditions you speak about would be of real benefit.

I'm just making the point about the current state of affairs. At this present moment there is an unprescedented ban on fans attending stadia. Even the most brightest of predictions involve a maximum of 10,000 attendees in the forseeable future. There will need to be a significant change in public health policy to make anyone, including Usmanov., invest in a 500 million pound stadium without a drastic change to current policy.

With the vaccine rollout and encouraging figures regarding prevalence, morbidity and mortality, then there may be good reason to be confident and hopeful about a change in the current state of affairs. But without that change, the whole stadium is a no go.
You do realise the stadium will not be completed before the end of this season ?

Why pay a premium for the riverside location then?

Why not build it in the Orkney Islands and have nobody attend?

I mean, after all, they don't care if the stadium remains empty for the next 50 years.

Ridiculous!
Everton Football Club is paying a premium for the Riverside location.

Everton Football club will borrow the money.

The people lending the money do not care where its located or how many people attend, they simply want their repayments on the loan.

Everton Football Club is paying a premium for the Riverside location.

Everton Football club will borrow the money.

The people lending the money do not care where its located or how many people attend, they simply want their repayments on the loan.

They do a bit. Cos if Everton go pop, the ground will be theirs to try to sell/knock down and get the change back.

Admittedly, I don't know what the future holds. But it's silly for us to agree that a continuation of the ban on stadia attendance would put an end to stadia investment, and then claim that I am being ridiculous for suggesting that there is risk in stadia investment.

We only earn 14 million from match day income at the moment (pre-covid), with the increase of premium seating and the fact that we have more seats to spread out supporters who are also likely to pay a bit more, we will still earn at least that much even if we can only have 26k in it. Then throw in naming rights at 20 million a season and suddenly we have a much bigger income. If the loan repayment is 25m then we might have to find a few million more per season to balance out. Goodison would probably require millions to be spent on maintenance as years go by and in a covid restricted world you would be allowed far less people than in other stadiums that have more space in and around the ground so income would drop anyhow.

So worst case scenario we are still about the same but we get a shiny new stadium. If covid is all finished then we will have 53k paying supporters rock up and we see the gain.

I’m now concerned by the risks here.
My mate makes aeroplanes, he’s making some today,
but we’re not allowed to go on holiday at the moment so I’ve told him to stop in case nobody will buy the planes in the future due to the current restrictions.
Is there anything else we should not do just in case?
I’m not gonna bother to buy any more socks tbh mate.

I reckon I can currently get by for the rest of my life with the dozen pairs currently in my drawer, as I won’t be going anywhere ever.

Just responding to the mob, many of whom are misappropriating the salient point that was made originally.
Salient? Drink!

shot.gif

Out of interest, do you have any non-salient points you'd like to share with us?