Match Thread Everton vs Burnley - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
M of M , Holgate, think he would feel left out in wearing knickers in training. That for me was our worst performance because it was a classic Dyche team performance, which we seemed ill prepared to cope with.

I confess I did watch the entire Burnley game. I did not switch off as has been my habit in recent months. Next season there will not be this option. I am dreading sitting at Goodison and watching this frankly appalling standard of football. I met two Evertonians separately earlier today, and both said how awful our football style is to watch, so it is not just me then. Would just a couple of decent signings change this terrible style of playing into an entertaining one? I fear not. I believe Carlo is in for a load of barracking next season if we continue to lump high balls in the general direction of a lone striker, and pass backwards and sideways at every opportunity. The name of Everton is historically associated with class and stylish football not this mockery of the game.

To be fair we did have some key players out due to injury which did not help mind this does not excuse poor play from those that played like Gomes.

M of M , Holgate, think he would feel left out in wearing knickers in training. That for me was our worst performance because it was a classic Dyche team performance, which we seemed ill prepared to cope with.
See, I don't think it was.

They went at us. Because that's what teams do. If they get at us early, they know they can then sit back and play on the counter because we can't break them down.

Look at Newcastle, and Fulham. Teams we expected to come and sit deep to an extent, but what they actually did was press us high and force mistakes and that gave them the confidence to go on and win the game, and completely shook us.

Yesterday, the first half especially, was not a 'classic' Burnley display at all. They absolutely ragged us in that first half, then in the second just asked us what we could do - the answer wasn't much.

Carlo changed it, but his subs were crap, as he left Gomes on and that left us totally exposed in midfield and Burnley just ran through us on the counter and we had no way of building any pressure.

Teams aren't coming to sit back against us, at least not at first. They come to dominate us, because it's bloody easy.

See, I don't think it was.

They went at us. Because that's what teams do. If they get at us early, they know they can then sit back and play on the counter because we can't break them down.

Look at Newcastle, and Fulham. Teams we expected to come and sit deep to an extent, but what they actually did was press us high and force mistakes and that gave them the confidence to go on and win the game, and completely shook us.

Yesterday, the first half especially, was not a 'classic' Burnley display at all. They absolutely ragged us in that first half, then in the second just asked us what we could do - the answer wasn't much.

Carlo changed it, but his subs were crap, as he left Gomes on and that left us totally exposed in midfield and Burnley just ran through us on the counter and we had no way of building any pressure.

Teams aren't coming to sit back against us, at least not at first. They come to dominate us, because it's bloody easy.

We were already a sub short before a ball had been kicked because it was only a matter of time before Holgate was going to have to be taken off as he offers nothing going forward.

Not for the first time his set up was miles off the required standard and his subs were terrible.

I love the fella, he's a gentleman and I've got no doubt he'll get us to where we need to be. But he's had some absolute shockers and served up some dreadful football lets not beat around the bush with it and for his status and what he earns he's old enough and wise enough to know that stick will come his way. It was a shocking set up yesterday, appalling management from him and the staff and that deserves being called out on it.

We were already a sub short before a ball had been kicked because it was only a matter of time before Holgate was going to have to be taken off as he offers nothing going forward.

Not for the first time his set up was miles off the required standard and his subs were terrible.

I love the fella, he's a gentleman and I've got no doubt he'll get us to where we need to be. But he's had some absolute shockers and served up some dreadful football lets not beat around the bush with it and for his status and what he earns he's old enough and wise enough to know that stick will come his way. It was a shocking set up yesterday, appalling management from him and the staff and that deserves being called out on it.

His tactics in these type of games have been abysmal, Mac.

I have no issue - I've said it loads of times - with 'defensive' football. But if that's all we can do, then you have to have some form of being able to create chances other than set-pieces or long ball and knock downs. If you really can't manage to do that, then you know what, just go direct and play to those strengths more.

The diamond system - and I said this on Friday - was never, ever going to work against Burnley. You have to stretch Burnley. Or they'll just congest everything into the middle. The issue with our diamond is it doesn't have the personnel to play it well and the movement of the two either side of it is absolutely garbage, so the passing lanes are so easy to cut out.

To Iwobi's credit, he was dropping in and buzzing around in the opening 10 minutes but as soon as Burnley settled, all they realised they had to do was press us in our third and we didn't have the movement to cope. It was completely predictable.

But then again, I have more issue with us just not creating enough, whatever shape or system we play. It was marginally better yesterday, but once again came when we were chasing the game. I know it comes down to the players being poor, but tactically you have to compensate for that by having some form of structure.

His tactics in these type of games have been abysmal, Mac.

I have no issue - I've said it loads of times - with 'defensive' football. But if that's all we can do, then you have to have some form of being able to create chances other than set-pieces or long ball and knock downs. If you really can't manage to do that, then you know what, just go direct and play to those strengths more.

The diamond system - and I said this on Friday - was never, ever going to work against Burnley. You have to stretch Burnley. Or they'll just congest everything into the middle. The issue with our diamond is it doesn't have the personnel to play it well and the movement of the two either side of it is absolutely garbage, so the passing lanes are so easy to cut out.

To Iwobi's credit, he was dropping in and buzzing around in the opening 10 minutes but as soon as Burnley settled, all they realised they had to do was press us in our third and we didn't have the movement to cope. It was completely predictable.

But then again, I have more issue with us just not creating enough, whatever shape or system we play. It was marginally better yesterday, but once again came when we were chasing the game. I know it comes down to the players being poor, but tactically you have to compensate for that by having some form of structure.

100% mate. I've mentioned the style of football loads mate. The players almost look fearful and incapable of doing simple 5 yard passes. That's just not normal so something isn't getting worked on as vigorously as it should be.

Totally get the 4 at the backs against the wall when we are playing the top sides but yesterdaybagainst Burnley...playing Holgate as a right wb and then changing the formation to put Iwobi central for all of 20 minutes before reverting back to what we know doesn't work.

He had an absolute shocker yesterday, well below what I'd expect. Not the first time, definitely won't be the last because hea showing he doesn't know how to fix it with what he has at his disposal.

Saturday now becomes a massive game because another crap performance and defeat can very quickly lead the season to fizzle out.

I feel that was a massive chance gone yesterday and I expect Spurs and the rs to get away from us

I'm sick of football altogether.
The endless grind of fixtures has just just been relentless.
Special circumstances of course but this current Everton side just totally pathetic, playing cack footie, no spirit whatsoever, and giving us no hope at all.
I disagree. It’s the hope that kills us.

We were 4th two games ago (albeit it for only a couple of hours) and some people on here were talking about us going unbeaten for the rest of the season!

Watched Southampton play City on thursday and the movement and attacking intent of their midfield,even with regulars missing they took the game to City and for most of the 1st half dominated the ball and i thought very unlucky in the end.
These are players rated average at best by most and yet moved the ball quickly and with purpose taking the game to probably best side in Europe at home.
The probability is we will be well beaten on saturday but the hope is we will at least have a go instead of accepting defeat and having belief we can win otherwise what is the point,so called lesser teams have given them a game this season so maybe with the right mindset,going all out and a bit of luck we can pull it off....

I genuinely believe the players have zero interest in playing anything more than English football next season and have actively avoided getting into Europe .
This is a hard team to support.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I have been watching the blues for more than 70 years and believe I am entitled to have my say, I hate watching Ancelotti's teams, backwards, sideways slow build ups starting every game no matter who we play on the back foot. What happened to the team that started the season?. When the crowds return they will not put up with this football for long without letting their feelings known, At least under big Dunk we showed some passion. As you must have guessed I am not an Ancelotti fan but I hope he can still turn it around. but I doubt it.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I have been watching the blues for more than 70 years and believe I am entitled to have my say, I hate watching Ancelotti's teams, backwards, sideways slow build ups starting every game no matter who we play on the back foot. What happened to the team that started the season?. When the crowds return they will not put up with this football for long without letting their feelings known, At least under big Dunk we showed some passion. As you must have guessed I am not an Ancelotti fan but I hope he can still turn it around. but I doubt it.
100% agree

manager's name aside the football we play is absolute dog turd

we let every opponent we play against have at least 10 shots on goal every game, we were lucky to keep clean sheets against southampton and west brom, the fact pickford is getting praise for the saves just shows how poor we are defensively

we create very little

we are in a false position

100% agree

manager's name aside the football we play is absolute dog turd

we let every opponent we play against have at least 10 shots on goal every game, we were lucky to keep clean sheets against southampton and west brom, the fact pickford is getting praise for the saves just shows how poor we are defensively

we create very little

we are in a false position
But that's the whole point Roman, you cant leave out the managers name because the team play to his orders and we play the same way every week and if the manager was not happy he would change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.