2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as we win I am happy.

People saying we are not playing football the Everton way....do they mean losing?

I have been following Everton since the 70's and the Everton way has largely been mediocrity with spells of success mixed in.

I am not convinced of the Everton way.

I am convinced however by a manager that wins games even when he is still building his team.

People on here desperate for us to fail next few games so they can say “told you so” ... “but... but... but... what if we concede two goals We ArE ToAsT cOs Da WaY wE pLay” despite the fact that in the last 3 games we could and should have been at least 2-0 up ourselves.

We are 5th with two months of football left to play. Have some perspective and be happy.
I think it's purely down to the fact that the football isn't anything to write home about.

You get more leeway if you're dropping points while aspiring to be like City, even though no one ever gets there.

To be fair, I understand the idea that a possession-based approach is more sustainable, but it's pointless trying to fizz the ball around if the players aren't up to the job (eg Xhaka today). When the quality of footballer improves, the style will evolve.

No manager is above criticism, but it's easier to trust in the methods of one with a record like Ancelotti's.

I personally was never against Big Sam. Thought he was necessary at the time.

However, the big thing against him was the rebuilding job that needed to be done after the disaster that was Koeman.

Big Sam isn't the person to do that. Everyone knew what he was there to do, even he knew it (hence he wanted 2 year deal to get a bigger payoff), and we got Silva in.

The bigger picture now is that we have the right man in Carlo can and will build.
There is not and could never be, any circumstance when Smug Rotund Samuel was necessary anywhere near our club. A total stain on our history.

People saying we are not playing football the Everton way....do they mean losing?

I have been following Everton since the 70's and the Everton way has largely been mediocrity with spells of success mixed in.

I am convinced however by a manager that wins games even when he is still building his team.
Agreed. The Everton way which is mentioning Alan Ball and the 80’s team and conveniently ignoring absolutely everything else because we’ve been so crap. This “school of science”, “people’s club”, “Everton way”, “NSNO” is an absolute crock of nonsense made up to make us feel better about a perennially stuttering team.

Quite correct, the Catt was not above grinding out a win when he needed to. Even our supremely talented team of the late 60's knew how to shut up shop when they had to.

3 years ago, I, just like almost every Evertonian was against Sam Allardyce for getting the Everton job full time because of 1 underlying reason. THE ANTI FOOTBALL BRAND WAS NOT WHAT EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUB STANDS FOR. But for arguments sake, he finished 8th after inhering a team close to relegation. Why did the same fans then didn't make a case for backing him? Even he was getting good results through anti football and by account of the job he did, should have been backed more.

Carlo has a better resume than Allardyce so yeah, anything Carlo does is forgiven. Its that bullshit mindset I don't understand. I admire the efforts he has done in the 14 months and I disagree with him for not doing enough to work with Kean and Bernard while he still sees potential in Iwobi and Sigurdsson.

The general notion that "Oh this squad is so poor and is punching above its weight by a massive amount" is a joke. If this group of players assembled by the geniuses was so poor, then the ones who sanctioned these moves including Brands are to be held accountable as well.

Its not about the last 4 home games, its the approach that was taken in those 4 games what annoys me. Ancelloti and Everton are better than that. The whole case for Carlo is based right now cos he got away with 2 games with barely 1 shot on target whilw being outplayed by the opposition. Its purely luck and not sustainable. The win at Anfield is something I will genuinely admire Carlo for as he took the emotion out of the game which is how we should approach derbies considering our [Poor language removed] record.

I am not going to buy this "Oh Carlo is god and immune to critism" no matter what he does. I remember the same fans starting to believe Roberto Martinez could do no wrong after the 1st season. You should have every right to criticise if you don't believe in something and I do not believe Everton is that poor or injury stricken to approach games with such pragmatism and then hope VAR or last ditch Pickford could save the 1-0 slender wins.

The majority may believe Carlo's pragmatic anti football approach is a go for right now its yielding slender results but those same people also disapproved Sam Allardyce's similar approach.

But I know the hyenas will now come out to attack any criticsm cos "How dare someone not believe in Carlo's style of football".

Let the middle fingers in for voicing an unpopular opinion.

Hey @bicycleheader where you at?

If you think that Ancelloti's approach and football is even remotely comparable to Allardyce's, then you are utterly clueless and beyond saving

3 years ago, I, just like almost every Evertonian was against Sam Allardyce for getting the Everton job full time because of 1 underlying reason. THE ANTI FOOTBALL BRAND WAS NOT WHAT EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUB STANDS FOR. But for arguments sake, he finished 8th after inhering a team close to relegation. Why did the same fans then didn't make a case for backing him? Even he was getting good results through anti football and by account of the job he did, should have been backed more.

Carlo has a better resume than Allardyce so yeah, anything Carlo does is forgiven. Its that bullshit mindset I don't understand. I admire the efforts he has done in the 14 months and I disagree with him for not doing enough to work with Kean and Bernard while he still sees potential in Iwobi and Sigurdsson.

The general notion that "Oh this squad is so poor and is punching above its weight by a massive amount" is a joke. If this group of players assembled by the geniuses was so poor, then the ones who sanctioned these moves including Brands are to be held accountable as well.

Its not about the last 4 home games, its the approach that was taken in those 4 games what annoys me. Ancelloti and Everton are better than that. The whole case for Carlo is based right now cos he got away with 2 games with barely 1 shot on target whilw being outplayed by the opposition. Its purely luck and not sustainable. The win at Anfield is something I will genuinely admire Carlo for as he took the emotion out of the game which is how we should approach derbies considering our [Poor language removed] record.

I am not going to buy this "Oh Carlo is god and immune to critism" no matter what he does. I remember the same fans starting to believe Roberto Martinez could do no wrong after the 1st season. You should have every right to criticise if you don't believe in something and I do not believe Everton is that poor or injury stricken to approach games with such pragmatism and then hope VAR or last ditch Pickford could save the 1-0 slender wins.

The majority may believe Carlo's pragmatic anti football approach is a go for right now its yielding slender results but those same people also disapproved Sam Allardyce's similar approach.

But I know the hyenas will now come out to attack any criticsm cos "How dare someone not believe in Carlo's style of football".

Let the middle fingers in for voicing an unpopular opinion.

Hey @bicycleheader where you at?
I think you've gone way overboard trying to define Carlo's approach based on the recent games. What were you thinking of his approach at the start of the season, when we were scoring for fun, but being way too open?

I think he's proven he's above the one trick ponies, with their bloody 'philosophies' (Philosophy, for God's sake! It's football!!) and he works with the players available, not talking about the hypothetical or whining about injuries. He tailors the approach to the challenge posed by the opponent, and can change the team shape and tactics to suit.

Of late he's faced a challenging fixture pile-up without complaint (take note Klopp!) and has mixed and matched within the squad. And please don't fall for the Allardyce re-write of history, about 'saving' us from near-certain relegation. I think we were 13th when Moshiri panicked and brought in the gravy meister. He was only there as a stop-gap, but he exploited Moshiri's weakness and deep pockets to secure a long contract. During his tenure he basically shut up shop, and his team's shot-shyness makes our current run look look good.

You're right that nobody's above criticism, and sometimes Carlo has got his selections and tactics wrong. But he never makes excuses, never slags off the players, and doesn't make himself the centre of attention, which narcissists like Klopp, Mourinho and, yes, Allardyce do. I think it was on here someone said of BFS: 'They (ie; the team) lost. We drew. I won.' I think that sums him up brilliantly. And I don't think Carlo's ever surprised the players, with his assistant(s) taking training and announcing ' the boss is away at his holiday home' as the large egotistical one did.

I think Carlo's the best thing that's happened at the club in years, and he will take us places. There's nobody I would sooner have right now, and I include Guardiola in that.

My unhappiness at the style of play is eclipsed by my happiness of winning. That being said I just worry that we are riding our luck enormously with our performances. We're solid as a unit defensively mostly but winning. Issue is most of the 1-0 wins have had more than one clear cut chance the opposition should have buried at least once per match. Hell, West Brom had one in the 1st minute and 96th minute they should have scored in.

Carlo has at least come out and admitted a lot of the deficiencies in the squad need to be addressed in the summer("bring in players with technical ability"). Hell, if we could ride that "luck" to the end fo the season then who cares, I sure as hell won't.

Last edited:
People on here desperate for us to fail next few games so they can say “told you so” ... “but... but... but... what if we concede two goals We ArE ToAsT cOs Da WaY wE pLay” despite the fact that in the last 3 games we could and should have been at least 2-0 up ourselves.

We are 5th with two months of football left to play. Have some perspective and be happy.
Yeah and we have come back from losing positions multiple times to win or get a result most recent Spurs 5-4 and united 3-3.. last one been 2 goals down. But yeah. Experts in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.