Demba Ba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet again.

For the 542nd time, if given two job offers, would you not go for the one that pays over 40% more?

we were told, by a trusted friend in this instance, his preferred choice was Everton. This could only have been for footballing reasons - so to end up at the Barcodes, for considerably more money does seem rather mercenary to be honest.

Not saying many of us would do different in our own lives with our own jobs - but footballers really do live in an alternate universe - I'm sure we were putting somewhere around 40k per week on the table - so what about that wouldn't give him and his family a life of eternal luxury? He could have had it all - now he's gone to live in a town where you have to get your 'tan-on' and your 'pump-on' so on a freedee neet you can get your 'tash-on'.

Jog-on, Demba.

Sign for NEWCASTLE vs Sign for EVERTON

Play under Pardew vs Play under Moyes - Given that most players stock rises under Moyes thats a vote for Everton. Especially considering that Pardew will probably be fired at some point in the new season.

Newcastle team aspirations may be high but the reality is a mid table finish vs Everton have the potential to finish in a top six position or higher and are expected to finish top 8 come rain or shine. That's another vote for Everton.

So as far as team, manager and aspirations go, Everton is a better club to play for. Historically better too. The only reason to sign for Newcastle is if believe you are suddenly at a peak of popularity, and you are unlikely to do better, and the best thing to do is cash your chips in and play for a club that wont have grandiose expectations of you playing well or working hard but will be content to watch you draw the ludicrous wages they offered whilst managing six goals the entire season.

he'll be injured for half the season as well I reckon.

Agreed, im sure we all would, maybe mercenary was the wrong word to use, he just comes across to me as the type of player that when your in the trenches you wouldnt want him on your side. Like i said tho, just my opinion mate, im really glad we didnt sign him and happy its come to a conclusion finally. Now, this Craig Mackail-Smith fella..............

That's fine. Although unless you've met him, I fail to see how he can come across as anything. You probably didn't even know who he was a few months ago.

we were told, by a trusted friend in this instance, his preferred choice was Everton. This could only have been for footballing reasons - so to end up at the Barcodes, for considerably more money does seem rather mercenary to be honest.

Not saying many of us would do different in our own lives with our own jobs - but footballers really do live in an alternate universe - I'm sure we were putting somewhere around 40k per week on the table - so what about that wouldn't give him and his family a life of eternal luxury? He could have had it all - now he's gone to live in a town where you have to get your 'tan-on' and your 'pump-on' so on a freedee neet you can get your 'tash-on'.

Jog-on, Demba.

All we offer over Newcastle is a few extra league places. Not Europe. Not Honours.

Take off your blue-tinted specs for a moment, and take a step back. He'd be an absolute idiot to turn down an extra £20-25K a week for 7th place instead of 11th or whatever.

That's fine. Although unless you've met him, I fail to see how he can come across as anything. You probably didn't even know who he was a few months ago.

All we offer over Newcastle is a few extra league places. Not Europe. Not Honours.

Take off your blue-tinted specs for a moment, and take a step back. He'd be an absolute idiot to turn down an extra £20-25K a week for 7th place instead of 11th or whatever.

I don't wear blue-tinted specs. I'm very much a realist, especially when it comes to Everton FC.

However - the definition of mercenary is working or acting solely in the interest of money - therefore, his was a mercenary decision, by your own assertion.

I don't wear blue-tinted specs. I'm very much a realist, especially when it comes to Everton FC.

However - the definition of mercenary is working or acting solely in the interest of money - therefore, his was a mercenary decision, by your own assertion.

Well surely by that definition every single one of us who work and do so for more money than the bare minimum we need to survive are mercenaries?

It's money? Why do people have such a hard time dealing with that? Pardew won't be there in 12 months. Something put this quote in their sig and pull me up on it.

Well surely by that definition every single one of us who work and do so for more money than the bare minimum we need to survive are mercenaries?

maybe, maybe not. Not every decision I've made in my career has been money motivated. If it was I'd have more of it by now, but at the same time, I may well not enjoy my job and life as much as I do.

I don't feel hard done to at all over Ba, good luck to anyone with that earning power. Integrity is a disappearing virtue in the modern game, yet one that appeals to the common fan. That's all.

As i said, just my opinion mate, i dont need to have met him personally to have one do i? rather than insulting my football intelligence cant you accept that? He is just not the type of player i would like at Everton. I think hes a mercenary and you dont, fair enough.

Amazed you can post this. Such a simplification of the reality its practically an untruth.

We offer a stable club, that has been top ten for years now - as opposed to a club that has just rebounded from division 2. A club that has had a manager in place for almost a decade (compared to playing under ten plus managers with probably a new one coming in the new season) - a manager that gets the best out of players, whose stock normally rises under his tutelage and who go on to play for their respective national teams. A manager that has won manager of the year three times. We have a state of the art training facility and we are in a better position than Newcastle to push for honours next year. 6th or 7th place normally is Europe and we were unlucky not to secure it last season.

Suggesting that its just a few league places is disingenuous. If this was purely a footballing decision its extremely doubtful Newcastle would have even had a look in.

Alas once again the toon have gazumped a player with their mighty cheque book of power. If history shows us anything - Emre, Smith, (christ I can't remember the others but there was a few wasn't there) - its that Moyes will use Newcastle to his advantage once more, as a device that sniffs out the mercenaries who are content to draw mega wages whilst languishing in the lower regions of the league and barely breaking a sweat on the pitch.

Especially if you knew that your knees were dodge and would only have a season or two left, in a fast paced, physical league, before they were totally shot?

I totally agree with this, he probably knows more about the extent of the damage in relation to his knees so is making hay while the sun shines as they say.

It's money? Why do people have such a hard time dealing with that? Pardew won't be there in 12 months. Something put this quote in their sig and pull me up on it.

Its not so much whether he went there for extra money or not than it is the fact people are so keen to harshly criticise a player for doing so.

Thats what annoys me.

There's a strange thing among football fans that players should share the same beliefs as fans.

The delusion and bitterness from you lot. lol I thought you might be different from your red brethren but I guess it's a city-wide affliction.

You realise that you've all plucked the 70k/high wages thing from your arses and that he's actually on a heavily incentivised contract?

Never mind lads, I'm sure Beckford will bang them in for you next season. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.