2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
@messymascot
Id forgotten about Gbamin, we'll have to see how he progresses from rehabiliation.

James could come into the attacking midfield role but i didnt include him in the list because he would rotate across positions i think rather than be a set midfielder.

If we include them then:

Doucoure
Allan
Davies
Sigurdsson
James
Gbamin
Onyango

With one new signing as well...8 players for the central area.

@Barnfred 55

Onyango has been given minutes and been on the bench a few times now. Im not sure why he wouldnt be included in a squad? Should we also not include Nkounkou?

We have starters, rotation options and young backup players in a squad...

Delph, needless to say has to be moved on by hook or by crook...even if its a loan to just get him out the door till his contract expires.

Gomes, you ask "how much will it cost to sign a better player"....

Honestly, im with @Stephenlloyd on this one. Everything in his post is spot on.

I didnt really want us to spend as much as £18mil on him but £22mil was 'ok' if he improved in his second season...he hasnt.

I actually have nothing positive to comment on him and wince when i see him on the teamsheet...hes the epitome of a 'hollywood' type who loves pinging balls around and then moving around like a headless chicken.

As for your question, i think we'll sign a central midfielder this summer. I dont think we have much choice really as we dont have a real star in there for the long term like a Godfrey in defence or a DCL/Richarlison up top.

I also think we will sign a Right back and probably a right winger/forward.

Thats the 3 major signings before any large sales.
Zat

Onyango is a talented kid who is training with the first team as recognition of that and to enhance his development. But if you've ever watched him play for the U23s, you'll know that he's rarely if ever taken control in those games. he shows flashes of his quality, but if he's to be considered anywhere near ready for the first team he has to be dominating those games and so far he hasn't. He was given a run out in an FA cup game that was already won and he's making up the numbers on the bench whilst we have injuries. He'd probably have been given another run out in one of the premier games if we were comfortable, but he hasn't been risked because he's nowhere near ready yet.

As regards Gomes, we'll just have to differ mate. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not going to vault you when it turns out you'r wrong ;)

Id bin him off :)

The centre mid id want would be a centre mid who is a very good all rounder.

If James was in the forward pool we could buy that player and keep Gomes. I would however bite someone's hand off if they offered £10-12 million.

Ha ha

I was in a much much bigger minority with Davies. Hey Ho.

See above post re injury. If you don't get it, that's because you don't understand the recovery process of sports injuries. I can't help you there.

I wouldn't play him in a 2 by choice. When he plays in a 3 he links the play from midfield to front 3. Like he did at the start of the season when Allan and Doucoure and James were all fit and raring.

We've spent £60m on 4 players in the 3 windows since Ancelotti arrived. That suggests to me that we won't be splashing out £40m on a midfielder after we paid out for a full back, right winger, striker and possibly a keeper. But we'll see hey?
One window
Brands doesn’t spend in January, most clubs don’t.

So every club should get rid of anyone with a broken ankle, because it takes 4/5 years to recover from apparently

Not a creative outlet though, wouldn't exactly call Fellaini a great passer. I was a big fan of Fellaini but he requires a team to play to his style otherwise he's a bit uninfluential.
I'd drop Rodriguez into a creative midfielder role with Alan and doucoure doing the leg work. We just need a pacey wide forward.

Squad player, who plays better when he's the more attacking #8 in a three man or diamond MF. I'd sign Rabiot or another attacking LCM to compete with him, but if we're in Europe next season he can rotate at either #8 position.

I don't think we'll have many takers with his wages, and he's seems happy to be at the club, so I'd keep him around depth.

Why do we have to buy for 10/12mil
Ancelotti wants a squad that can challenge for titles.

Gomes has been part of Benfica and Barcelona squads that challenged for and won titles. He's more than good enough to be a squad player, in fact, when he has the defensive contributions of Allan and Doucoure around him he's one of the most influential players in the team.

Gives me no pleasure in saying this but I thought he was shocking last night and could have cost us the game :( ... slow, weak, poor distribution and half arsed tackles...to name but a few things wrong with his game. Couldnt understand why Carlo didn't take him off and let's be honest he has been like this for ages now
I really like Gomes as a player, was super when on loan. Injury definitely affected him, doesn't appear to suit him when playing in a two. His passing can be super at times, last night it wasn't. He definitely can't tackle in my humble opinion . I can't work him out or his best position. He is good to carry the ball but slow to run, He looks v poor in the air to me. I hope he can improve and get a level of consistency.

Like who, mate? I don't know any midfielders who are all round brilliant who can run, pass, defend and score goals.

Guimaraes, Camavinga and/or Kamara.

If James was in the forward pool we could buy that player and keep Gomes. I would however bite someone's hand off if they offered £10-12 million.

I wonder how much Ancelotti values Gomes. Catch 22 with him Sigurdsson and James all able to play that role...and hes the worst of the 3.

Who would we bring in who's better than Gomes for £10-12m? Can't believe how much this fanbase ridicules Gomes sometimes, he's become the new Sigurdsson.

As a 7th choice I'm sure we could pick someone up. I actually like Gomes but I think some of our systems don't suit him. In a 4-2-3-1 he would have a good chance of being Allans first choice partner but I think Doucoures extra pace just edges him out. I don't think he can play in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. If we played 3-4-3 maybe get away with him in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.