Match Thread Everton v Southampton 1/3/21 - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes that loss to Fulham even more annoying.

Win that and we’re now 4th and with the possibility to go 4pts clear of 5th with our game in hand on Thursday.
Every team in every season can say, "If only we'd win that game we should have won..."

IF we beat fat Sam's grocks, we'll be in 4th, with a higher number of points after 26 games than Chelsea, the RS, Spurs and Arsenal. There isn't one of us who wouldn't have taken that before the season started. Enjoy it!

Commentary team sound gutted about that result. Is Everton the most unliked team in the PL?...
Apologies for the late reply @deipnosophist, but the short answer is; no! the long answer is;; noooooooooo!
I travel extensively, and in all my experience, the overriding winner of that particular title of being the most disliked team goes to whoever your closest neighbours are.
However, he most disliked SECOND team throughout these fair isles amongst fans, by some margin, is none other than those loveable scamps in red tops, who happen to be our neighbours. They are massively disliked. 'Massively', is an understatement.
The general feeling of dislike for Everton Football Club is purely from the red infested media and commentators and pundits who preach their bile and bilge from a lofty height. Especially Tyler, who throws in factoids of total irrelevance regarding TRS irrespective of which game you are viewing.
Commentary team sound gutted about that result. Is Everton the most unliked team in the PL?...

Thought everyone played exceptionally well for the most part. I voted Keane, he is one you can count on just about every match. Just wish we would have finished on some of those set pieces. UTFT
Same here, the amount of clearances game on game is incredible, I think it’s just expected and taken for granted now.

Apologies for the late reply @deipnosophist, but the short answer is; no! the long answer is;; noooooooooo!
I travel extensively, and in all my experience, the overriding winner of that particular title of being the most disliked team goes to whoever your closest neighbours are.
However, he most disliked SECOND team throughout these fair isles amongst fans, by some margin, is none other than those loveable scamps in red tops, who happen to be our neighbours. They are massively disliked. 'Massively', is an understatement.
The general feeling of dislike for Everton Football Club is purely from the red infested media and commentators and pundits who preach their bile and bilge from a lofty height. Especially Tyler, who throws in factoids of total irrelevance regarding TRS irrespective of which game you are viewing.
I perhaps should have qualified my query with "in the media/commentary/punditry space?".
But thank you for your response. My anecdotally fuelled intuition tells me you are spot on.

Sheer Italian pragmatism, not easy on the eye at the minute, but excellent returns given the size-quality of our squad.
I also think it’s super important that we see a squad that can/will clearly follow the instructions of its manager. Too often in the recent past we’ve looked like a rudderless ship.

This is a base from which Carlo can mould bigger, better things.

The thing that drives me nuts about Everton - is that we seem to be absolute masters in turning attack into defence. We are so passive when we have the ball - I can understand it against teams like City - but jesus Southampton should be worried about keeping us out and defending the next ball, not us.

I get that it's delicate balance between gung-ho and defensive solidity .... but surely we lean too far to the negativity against a lot of teams and we invite pressure from far inferior opponents way too often

The thing that drives me nuts about Everton - is that we seem to be absolute masters in turning attack into defence. We are so passive when we have the ball - I can understand it against teams like City - but jesus Southampton should be worried about keeping us out and defending the next ball, not us.

I get that it's delicate balance between gung-ho and defensive solidity .... but surely we lean too far to the negativity against a lot of teams and we invite pressure from far inferior opponents way too often
Yes, it's frustrating isn't it?

We seem to be the opposite of flat track bullies, we raise our game against the better clubs, then struggle against the Newcastles, Southamptons and Rotherhams of this world.

I think we can finish anywhere between 3rd and 10th. Gonna be optimistic and say 5th.

Not sure I posted my thoughts. I watched it later as per usual because it was 4am for me. Wasn't sure about watching it because a lot of fans said it was ugly. That's good cause it lowered my expectations, not the worst game we played this year (that would probably be the Newcastle game), but nothing terribly exciting.

Richarlison is such a beast. So clinical and is taking his chances. He probably spent a bit too long out wide, I'd rather we mix it up a bit more like we are now and keep the opposition guessing.

Pickford another great game - don't remember him doing too much wrong, and won us the game with that great save at the end.

Really enjoyed Doucoure and Allan bossing it in the middle. We won a lot of balls with their work rate and getting it out of the danger area was far easier with those two playing. Heard some shouts that Allan was rusty, didn't see that. Thought he was pretty good. Hope they both play against West Brom, but Tom Davies has been playing well as well... maybe it'll be Allan, Doucoure and Davies, which might allow Allan to roam around a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.