Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lanolin, I agree it's a weakness - a glaring weakness.

The issue however is if you consider we've already brought in Allen and Doucouré; with the deficiencies elsewhere, it may not be top of the club's list.

Simply, we can't start next season with Coleman, and for all the great work others have done there it limits our offensive capabilities down the right.

Nor we can start next season with Iwobi as our primary option on the right or with only DCL and Richarlison; King may resolve one aspect, but we'll see.

Those two or three areas there should vastly improve how we play and for me the focus should always be on first improving the XI rather than the squad.

While the midfield is a concern, my point is/was that I expect any movement there will be dependent on moving on one of Gylfi or Gomes before we move.

That should be a priority too as your points are completely valid, but as others have said we could have James move there if other places are filled.

So for me, RB and RW > CF > CM in that order. Resolve all of that and we'd be in a much, much better position.
I think the other thing with midfield though, is there needs to be some sort of succession planning. Only Davies of all the current options in midfield is at an age where you'd expect them to still be a regular in 3 years. And while age is on his side, ability isn't. I think if we don't get another midfielder in in the summer (bearing in mind we don't really do January) then you're looking at a situation where you end up trying to build an entirely new midfield all the same time again. And as you've touched on, that's hard to do. The following season Allan will be 32 and in his final year, as will James, Doucoure will be 30, Sigurdsson's current contract will be finished etc. Obviously you hope for someone like Onyango to come through but I think ideally you bring at least one younger midfielder in this summer so that you're not ripping the whole thing up and starting again in 2 years. It's something we're traditionally rubbish at, but we really need to introduce that sort of planning instead of always waiting until it's too late before we replace people.

I think the other thing with midfield though, is there needs to be some sort of succession planning. Only Davies of all the current options in midfield is at an age where you'd expect them to still be a regular in 3 years. And while age is on his side, ability isn't. I think if we don't get another midfielder in in the summer (bearing in mind we don't really do January) then you're looking at a situation where you end up trying to build an entirely new midfield all the same time again. And as you've touched on, that's hard to do. The following season Allan will be 32 and in his final year, as will James, Doucoure will be 30, Sigurdsson's current contract will be finished etc. Obviously you hope for someone like Onyango to come through but I think ideally you bring at least one younger midfielder in this summer so that you're not ripping the whole thing up and starting again in 2 years. It's something we're traditionally rubbish at, but we really need to introduce that sort of planning instead of always waiting until it's too late before we replace people.

If were planning to use 3 midfielders and the only ones we can 'trust' are Allan and Doucoure then we need more midfielders.

If Gbamin suddenly rises like a phoenix and Davies suddenly comed up a level then we would still need one more.

My bet is two.

If we're looking at Godfrey and Holgate playing full-back next season with Coleman and NKounkou as backups there is an argument for not getting any defenders in. Branthwaite back from loan to cover Centre half, and then get a couple of fast attacking midfielders in.

Exactly. It'll also be interesting to see what our long-term strategy is in terms of style of play because if we're honest the jury is still out in that department.

We played some offensive football at the start of the season, but defensively we were all over the place; we went to a resolute defensive plan but lacked goals.

When Carlo tried to mix it up against Newcastle, we looked terrible and there wasn't much of a plan against Leicester either rather than try not to concede.

Anyway, I've waffled slightly off tangent... my point is that Doucouré should get up and down the pitch and Allen is the enforcer in the middle of the park.

Will Carlo choose to bring in another mobile, resolute defender or are they going to look for creativity? The avenue they take will impact on other acquisitions.

If were planning to use 3 midfielders and the only ones we can 'trust' are Allan and Doucoure then we need more midfielders.

If Gbamin suddenly rises like a phoenix and Davies suddenly comed up a level then we would still need one more.

My bet is two.

Think living in hope there Mate.

Before we talk of numbers or positions to get players in for need to look at who is leaving at the end of the season then replace them and those positions. If it were 3 then for me it is not 5/6 players in but more. No one is taking account of players who might stick their hand up and say I want out e.g. Richie!

We will be definitely bringing another midfielder in This summer IMO. We can’t be left with the likes of Davies, Gomes, Delph and siggurdsson. We may even go for 2 depending on Gbamin. Though I think a 2nd one good be a loan. Or a young player on loan to buy.

The issue however is if you consider we've already brought in Allen and Doucouré; with the deficiencies elsewhere, it may not be top of the club's list.

Simply, we can't start next season with Coleman, and for all the great work others have done there it limits our offensive capabilities down the right.

Nor we can start next season with Iwobi as our primary option on the right or with only DCL and Richarlison; King may resolve one aspect, but we'll see.

Those two or three areas there should vastly improve how we play and for me the focus should always be on first improving the XI rather than the squad.

While the midfield is a concern, my point is/was that I expect any movement there will be dependent on moving on one of Gylfi or Gomes before we move.

That should be a priority too as your points are completely valid, but as others have said we could have James move there if other places are filled.

So for me, RB and RW > CF > CM in that order. Resolve all of that and we'd be in a much, much better position.
This

Still think we need a GK
Olsen on the bench as backup
Hopefully Pickford has a good Euros and we get 20-30m for him

What type of CM do we need?

Still think a CM who can progress the ball from deep myself?
A few people think we will play James in the 10 role next season, personally I can’t see it. I don’t think ancelotti all of a sudden , brings in a new attacking RB and another wide forward abs we become a very attack minded side.

It could happen, but this is the thing with ancelotti, I’m not sure what type of team he wants to build. At the moment he seems to think we are better counter attacking. Like he will probably set up like that tonight. But I don’t think we actually have the pace for it. DCL & Richarlison apparently are fast, but I don’t really see them run away from people over 30/40 yards. So will he buy more pace for next season.

Or maybe a better possession based team, with James still around Which will definitely mean a new quality midfielder, or two . And A technically gifted RB.

I think a lot of things hinge on Gbamin, I think Allan is better suited to having a bit more freedom, he definitely has the ability. Wasted sitting infront of the back 4

If we're looking at Godfrey and Holgate playing full-back next season with Coleman and NKounkou as backups there is an argument for not getting any defenders in. Branthwaite back from loan to cover Centre half, and then get a couple of fast attacking midfielders in.
Godfrey and Holgate while great in the "wall "offer very little in an attacking sense and in todays game FBs need to carry an attacking threat i

Status
Not open for further replies.