Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from Pickford who has a lifetime contract for some unknown reason what positions in our first choice 11 needs strengthening?

Most people seem oblivious to the fact we need a right back thinking Coleman is good enough and either holgate or Godfrey can cover which is perplexing

Most people are also happy to see a front four of dcl, iwobi, richarlison and rodriguez

RB, CF, RW, CAM

It's not really a surprise Everton struggled yesterday, with Allan and Doucoure out. Flashbacks to last season. They were two brilliant signings but not even Ancelotti can perform miracles with 2 and a half PL standard CM's.

I do think Gomes is a good squad player but only when he has better players next to him. Davies isn't good enough to be a first team regular. Neither are good enough to play together against a good PL side.

If Allen & Doucoure played last night, I believe Everton win the game.

As for the positives, Godfrey seems to impress every week. If you can get a quality RB in the summer (just imagine Lampty! - no chance), that back four would be seriously impressive.

It's not really a surprise Everton struggled yesterday, with Allan and Doucoure out. Flashbacks to last season. They were two brilliant signings but not even Ancelotti can perform miracles with 2 and a half PL standard CM's.

I do think Gomes is a good squad player but only when he has better players next to him. Davies isn't good enough to be a first team regular. Neither are good enough to play together against a good PL side.

If Allen & Doucoure played last night, I believe Everton win the game.

As for the positives, Godfrey seems to impress every week. If you can get a quality RB in the summer (just imagine Lampty! - no chance), that back four would be seriously impressive.

This is exactly right.

Exactly.
You have to keep 10yds from the taker, but the 'receiver'...who was also about 10 yds away from the taker, was fair game.
By all means have Godfrey(?) stood where he did on At least 5 occasions, but once it was passed to the Leicester guy and it was the same move time after time, dive in on him...and Godfrey likes a tackle as we saw...and put him, ball and all through the electronic Ad. board.
Dweryhouse Lane Fields 101- how hard can it be?
I could understand if it was a case of letting them cross it as we thought it would be easier for us to clear, but they’d work angles into our area and no one seemed to track runners, just thought we’d pick up on it at one point and swap Gomes in that position and put Digne there or something

So we have failed every time we had a chance to make a statement. What was winning at Spurs in the opening day then? Or following the opening two wins with emphatic wins at home? Or winning away and Leicester and Wolves? Or beating Chelsea and Arsenal at home? Remind me again why none of those were statements as I am getting confused
Ok, shouldve worded it better. We've had a few occasions in my eyes to make a statement, first one was home to the Rs on back of 4 straight wins, and though we got a point i still look at it as a missed opportunity. Forgetting the barren run, when we played Manure at home in the QF again a big chance for a club crying out for a trophy but we didnt turn up. West Ham at home we win we go clear in 2nd but didnt turn up. Last night again massive chance to do the double over a rival and push ourselves into 4th with 1/2 games in hand on everyone around us.
Beating Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester away were all brilliant results but we dont seem to grow in belief from them.
If we want to aim for europa, maybe even CL this season, we need to have more faith in the side to push on.

Carlo’s tactics worked away at Leicester, he tried something similar which I thought was right.
They would never have scored for a month if we’d have had the likes of Pope in goal.
There‘s more than one way to skin a cat, you can win a game with great defending, even at home.
Thats it. His tactics were identical but no said we were negative that night. The difference was Allan was the best player on the pitch until he went off early, then Dacoure stepped up and was the best player on the pitch after Allan went off. Because they were so good we kept in control and passed our way up the pitch. We couldn’t do that yesterday as we didn’t have anyone good enough to compete and use the ball properly. That’s why we got bogged down and why the full backs couldn’t get forward, it wasn’t the way we set up. What we desperately need is to buy another centre mid with the aggression and athleticism of Godfrey who loves a tackle and passes forward quickly.

I mean, if you control your own destiny then your fate is in your hand. If we balls it up then it's not much different than Everton of old. We don't need other results to go our way, we simply need to take care of our matches and top 4 is realistically ours.
You are right in the mathematical sense but that’s no different to saying at the start of the season that fate is in every club’s hands, but we can safely say that Brighton will not finish top 4 for example.

The original point was Carlo is doing a decent job, we have improved as a squad since last season with the additions made and some player improvements have helped and I’d love nothing more than to be wrong. But we are not at that level yet and performances and obvious shortfalls in squad depth demonstrate that. Where we are now at this stage has put us in a really strong position to get Europe which was the target.

I didn't think the lads did much wrong last night, apart from 30 secs of brain fart moment we could've hung on for the win.
Davies did well and I think only lost possession once. Broke up play and made vital interceptions, so shouldn't be getting hate after his performance last night.
Pickford was pretty solid all night, but his moment of lapse caused the goal. He really needs to improve on saving shots low down and close to his body. That's the second time he's conceded from feeble shots (the first being the RS VAR disallowed goal). I also think his defence should've given him the shout to let the ball go out for a goal kick rather then conceding that stupid corner.
I was hoping Richarlison was going to be hooked by 60 mins as every time he got the ball he lost it and put pressure back on the defence. Needs to pull his finger out and find his early season form.
Gomes was shaky first half, giving away possession too often, improved second half. But I'm baffled how he can run faster when he's got the ball as opposed to tracking players back!!
I think midfield going forward this season is likely to be Allan, Doucs and Davies.

Davies grew into the game after the first 10 minutes. Considering we were under the pump for 75% of the game i thought he did ok.
I think he did much better than okay, considering he had Gomes alongside him helping out? more of a hindrance Gomes, and that’s not taking into account that pitiful attempt in the last minute, all he had to do was head the bleedin’ ball.

Ok, shouldve worded it better. We've had a few occasions in my eyes to make a statement, first one was home to the Rs on back of 4 straight wins, and though we got a point i still look at it as a missed opportunity. Forgetting the barren run, when we played Manure at home in the QF again a big chance for a club crying out for a trophy but we didnt turn up. West Ham at home we win we go clear in 2nd but didnt turn up. Last night again massive chance to do the double over a rival and push ourselves into 4th with 1/2 games in hand on everyone around us.
Beating Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester away were all brilliant results but we dont seem to grow in belief from them.
If we want to aim for europa, maybe even CL this season, we need to have more faith in the side to push on.
All fair points
But who needs the 'faith'
The Fans
The Players
The Manager
Some?
All?
Faith may move mountains, but who will get Gomes to move...or Siggi.
Will faith Improve Richerlson...if he's playing for a move, hes going nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.