Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of creativity in the side was shocking yesterday. Two non-creative midfield players were out, otherwise we had a fully fit squad, yet we offered nothing at all. Schmeichel didn't have a single save to make.

The lack of creativity in the side was shocking yesterday. Two non-creative midfield players were out, otherwise we had a fully fit squad, yet we offered nothing at all. Schmeichel didn't have a single save to make.

Yup. We dont have any creativity in midfield at all really. All in the front three.

Allan is wonderful at ball renention and finding the creative players to do their thing, but he isn't a playmaker himself. Docoure I dont think is great on the ball but he's so athletic and a problem as he puts himself about, keeps the ball moving and links play together.

We are lacking that real creativity combative midfielder who can craete themselves rather than just trying to give it to James to do so.

I think there is a bit of having cake and eating it on here, early season we where playing great football, plenty of goals but where conceding 2 a game which will not get results forever. Then with injuries, suspensions we had a bad November, Carlo not scared tried a few formations with varied results, Fulham away 3 at the back looked great 1st half but still prone to conceding chances. Delph get injured against Burnley and Godfrey slots in at left back and back 4 returns and we dominate that game. We then played with a little more control than we did last night against a weaker Leicester team, Chelsea Arsenal then Sheffield United without pulling up any trees but winning on the back of solid defending. We lost against West Ham through a fluke and I admittedly did not see that game. We then beat Wolves away effectively cut them off 2nd half and scored the winner with our most depleted team very impressive. I’ll stick my neck out here,
Leicester had 18 shots of which 10 where blocked. No accident well drilled defending. We had 5 shot in the box they had 6 and we had Gomes not get a shot off from 3 yards but they battered us?. I would also like to say Gomes and Davies weren’t poor last night some of Gomes passing out of midfield was very good, Leicester exposed their shortcomings but I’ve seen them play much worse. They did ok. We have achieved all this without our most influential midfielder Allan. Ancelloti and all the players deserve a lot praise over the last 2 months. Some of the negative posters have been over the top last night. With our full team we can refine our attacking but also keep it tight. With Allan and Doucoure and Cameos from Tom Siggy and Gomes to keep things fresh teams will not relish facing us. COYB’S.

Ban every single person who voted Tom Davies!

We were crap, they were good, feel sorry for Jordan but he has to save those and I'm finally flipped.. He has to go

It was a very good point in the context of how the game unfolded, but I thought it was a missed opportunity.

I get that this is how we win games against the better sides, and another error cost us, the midfield etc but we showed them far too much respect.

Chasing shadows around your opponent for large chunks of the game becomes physically and mentally tougher the longer it goes on.

Leicester are a very good side that we could do well to emulate in many facets.

But they are not Bayern Munich. We have good players as well.

I would have had Godfrey in midfield for his strength, athleticism, and mobility. But thats for another day.

What more does Olsen have to do to get a regular starting place? There must be detrimental effect on the confidence of the 10 outfield players when wet pasta hands Pickford is jittering around in his box. He must have a compromising pic of Carlo and Southgate wearing each other as hats or something, because very few other serious teams would be this patient.

Ban every single person who voted Tom Davies!

We were crap, they were good, feel sorry for Jordan but he has to save those and I'm finally flipped.. He has to go
I voted for him because recently I've been giving him stick and last night I didn't see him put a foot wrong. There was none of his one touch pass backs to defence. No slow to react moments, that I saw anyway, and he didn't find himself being spun round as he got passed round by the opposition, all of which I've seen from him recently. He protected the back 4 as best he could, competed for the ball and broke up Leicester's plays through the middle. Over the 90 I though he deserved praise.

Aside from Pickford who has a lifetime contract for some unknown reason what positions in our first choice 11 needs strengthening?

Most people seem oblivious to the fact we need a right back thinking Coleman is good enough and either holgate or Godfrey can cover which is perplexing

Most people are also happy to see a front four of dcl, iwobi, richarlison and rodriguez

Aside from Pickford who has a lifetime contract for some unknown reason what positions in our first choice 11 needs strengthening?

Most people seem oblivious to the fact we need a right back thinking Coleman is good enough and either holgate or Godfrey can cover which is perplexing

Most people are also happy to see a front four of dcl, iwobi, richarlison and rodriguez

We can strengthen every position. We need to have about 18 good outfield players rather than the 10 or 11 we have at the minute.

In terms of first 11, the most urgent areas to improve are at right back, right midfield, and central midfield.

We indeed made Leicester look like world beaters at times.
Leicester are sharp and quick .
Be interesting how we set up against Newcastle, who sit back more than us.
Bore fest on the cards.

That I think was our problem wish we had had Doucoure and Allan.

I still think we dont believe in ourselves enough. Last night was another massive chance to make a statement, we've had a few of them this year and fell short each time.
Looking at the players available last night, the only place on the pitch they are stronger than us is their GK and two CMs - ndidi and tielemans.. in front of that they played a 3 of Barnes, Maddison and Albrighton, i wouldnt swap that for Richy, James and Iwobi.. likewise up top id have Dom over Perez everyday. Back 4 again id take ours (playing Digne at LB mind).
But we dont believe enough to let our team attack and get our attacking players in a high enough position to influence games.
This year there are too many teams in an around our level going for europe and I feel the pragmatic approach will fall short, and its doing our best players a disservice, especially Richy.
So we have failed every time we had a chance to make a statement. What was winning at Spurs in the opening day then? Or following the opening two wins with emphatic wins at home? Or winning away and Leicester and Wolves? Or beating Chelsea and Arsenal at home? Remind me again why none of those were statements as I am getting confused

I have watched the blues for 70 years and have seen every game this season on tv including the pre season ones, during this time I have seen lots of ups and downs, some times the downs have been caused by having poor players, but now with so many good players in the team now, why are we playing such defensive football. I hate this defensive type of game played by Ancelotti, its so boring to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.