Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some mad shouts in here. We knew we were going to struggle against a really in form Leicester missing both of our best midfielders.

They are quite clearly ahead of us in their project and also started it from a better base, yet they’ve played us twice (both times we were missing multiple key players) and only came away with a point.

We aren’t going to play that negative every game. We allowed them to control us more than we or Carlo would’ve liked, but we try and match up to them yesterday with that midfield and we get a pasting. He got the tactics spot on imho and if not for a shot that should’ve been saved, they hardly looked like scoring.

lets face it, when that shot entered the 6 yard box, they hardly looked like scoring.

1 howler, and he had nothing else of note to do (maybe there was one cross he got down and actually saved rather than parried). I think we played the perfect tactics given the limitations of our midfield and our bench.

Ive not doubted Leicester played well , but apart from one basic schoolboy error by Pickford they never looked like scoring.Can you recall a notable save from him throughout the game.
Do you not think the form of our defenders over the past couple of months has took most of the focus away from the keeper , its not like we come away from a game saying we'ed have lost that but for our keeper making so many save's.
Cant hide that fact or blame someone else for it.
He cost us a much needed win.
He made some great saves against Chelsea and one excellent one against Arsenal IIRC.

My point was, the defence has been working well as a unit and, like it or not, that includes the goalkeeper. That's how Carlo will have looked at it.

Pickford's made a mistake and we all, fairly so, can't wait to jump on his back but it's not like a mistake has been coming if you actually think about it. It's just because we know what Pickford is like so we think it's predictable but at no point last night other than that moment did he look shaky. Again, it's poor defending to allow the shot from there, and it's poor goalkeeping not to save it.

I think we would have won this game comfortably if we were better in possession. Richarlison had an absolute mare last night... which lately is becoming the norm. I cannot think of any time he didn't actually give the ball away. The 2 stupid fouls in dangerous areas could also have cost us.

With the porous midfield of Davies and Gomes, Carlo was right to setup like we did. Gomes is the most dribbled past player in Europe's top 5 leagues apparently. Him and Sigurdsson last season are still the worst centre-mid I have ever seen.

Pickford is a clown... and will always be a clown.

Godfrey, Keane and James were immense last night however.

Absolutely intentional from Carlo.

in his post match interview: "When we defend deep, we are strong"

its a frustrating watch, but thats why we trust him. hes knows whats best, and Leceister having all the ball are less capable than moving the ball at speed across multiple lines.

Absolutely intentional from Carlo.

in his post match interview: "When we defend deep, we are strong"

its a frustrating watch, but thats why we trust him. hes knows whats best, and Leceister having all the ball are less capable than moving the ball at speed across multiple lines.

He thinks like a winner and plays the percentages. It's the most effective was to win a game. Everyone has to do their job for 90 minutes though, and Pickford lets us down a bit at 1 end, with DCL/Gomes/Richarlinson not converting at the other.

Now the dust has settled, does everyone agree that was a decent point ? Under the cosh massively all game, only got in via another GK error. Good point. Richy must do more.

I think it was a decent point but just feel we could have done a bit more.

Why are people still making excuses for Pickford?

It's not an excuse, he should save it.

But I don't see how you can look at those images and think yeah, that's alright that a shot got through.

Carlo certainly won't be pinning it all on Pickford.

But i'll repeat, to be absolutely clear, he should save it.

shame with all that possession and fingering from the commentator how could they possibly not be the better team.

because tactics yo.

The theme seems to be "cheque-book Burnley" "be gutted if I had to watch that"

While completely ignoring, we have taken 4 points from them in 6 weeks ish !?! hahaha

We played last night, exactly how Leicester played when they won yhe title with a couple of exceptions. They had a half decent keeper and they had bags of pace so they could hit teams on the break. If we're gonna play like that we need pace or we're not gonna score enough goals in a match to see teams off.

He made some great saves against Chelsea and one excellent one against Arsenal IIRC.

My point was, the defence has been working well as a unit and, like it or not, that includes the goalkeeper. That's how Carlo will have looked at it.

Pickford's made a mistake and we all, fairly so, can't wait to jump on his back but it's not like a mistake has been coming if you actually think about it. It's just because we know what Pickford is like so we think it's predictable but at no point last night other than that moment did he look shaky. Again, it's poor defending to allow the shot from there, and it's poor goalkeeping not to save it.
Fair points
Just watched it again
Saving a shot that going out to concede the corner.
Cross from that corner he's bouncing around and flaps at it.
Then makes a big mess.

I'm out with him.

Not quite the game that I was expecting last night. I would have taken a draw before the game, but it felt like we could have got more, and yet also felt like we were fortunate to get a point.

Appreciate that you had your 'screen' missing in AD and Allan, but I still expected a little more from you in the offensive. Very much felt like you were happy to protect a 1-0 and then happy to see out a draw, with the chance of grabbing a goal on the counter. Is that usual for Ancelotti, or a case of make do with the players he had at his disposal?

I also expected more of a threat from DCL and Richarlison. In the past it's felt like Richarlison has scored against on virtually every occasion and DCL is exactly the sort of player that we struggle against, but it felt like they weren't in the game for prolonged periods. Still, both had very good chances I guess!

As for ourselves, I was impressed with how we dealt with Ndidi's injury. This time last year we really struggled without him, including losing to Norwich, but we seem far more adaptable to Mendy coming in now. Perez did exactly what I expected in working hard but simply not being the player that Vardy is (not many are). He stood little to no chance being marshalled by your three either. On a side note, really impressive with how Keane has come on. In the past Vardy has run rings around him, but the past 2/3 games against you he's been completely dominant.

Still expect that we'll be around a similar position come the end of the season, and hopefully that's around 4th and not 7/8th.

The game played out, in terms of patern how I thought it would mate. Leicester have the better players on the ball, and have had longer with Rodgers and a more integrating attacking system. Especially without Vardy I felt Leicester would play a lot of nice stuff, but probably not threaten the goal as much as they perhaps could do. On the flip side, I felt Everton would be a threatb from set peices and a potential moments magic from James, who is generally the most talented player on the pitch whoever we play and liable to make a goal/shot on goal out of nothing.

In terms of the game, that is exactly how Ancelotti has had us set up for the last couple of months, since we moved to 4 cb's across the back. With that back 4, we have conceded 3 goals in 6 games. We back ourselves to nick a goal on the break, or from set peices and try to keep the opponents to 0 or best case scenario 1. I'd say there is an understanding from Ancelotti, given where we are at, if we open up and try and attack it's much more likely we lose. We used the same tactic against Arsenal and Chelsea earlier this season.

Overall I think Leicester made it harder for us than the above 2. There was more sustained pressure after half time. I thought it was clever that Rodgers basically moved to short corners and we were slow to adapt. Arsenal and Chelsea kept slowing it down and lumping balls into the box to a team with 4 cbs- 2 of them Mina/Keane (who are huge) and (last night) DCL, Richarlinson & Gomes (on other days sometimes Doucoure too) and having the balls headed out. That was smart. It didnt allow us to get any break at all.

From a Leicester perspective, after the goal went in the pressure stopped. That was a similar to tne Arsenal/Chelsea game where fatigue seemed to kick in for them. It was similar for the last game we played as well, where you battered us after half time, but for the last 20 we saw it out quite easily. The obvious question might be, had we hung on 5 minutes longer had we weathered the Leicester storm? Or did Rodgers go a bit less gung ho at 1-1? Or Ancelotti influence it? If I was a Leicester fan though, while I'd be pleased we fought our way back for a draw (that Arsenal/Chelsea couldn't) I'd be wondering why we couldn't go on and win it. Thats probably the "next level" if you want to get back to winning the league again.

We missed the midfield shield as you say, but also our front 2 are not fully match fit yet. Both are just back off lay offs, and I think we arepatching them up and playing them. In fairness, DCL just didn't have the herculean type influence on the game he did on the other too. At his best he dominates Fofana and Evans, but they handled him well last night. It would have allowed us to get out better and break the game up. But he's coming back from injury so some quarter is given.

I think you will be right up there for the top 4, and on tht basis I suspect we will too. It's a good point for us. Within 6, with 2 games in hand, with Europe to come for you guys is a good spot for us. You have some big games coming up that need winning- against teams "in and arond you" but it's probably true for all of us. There are 9-10 teams really close to each other and you'd imagine in 10 games time it won't stay this close. You will start to see who is going for the league, for top 4, for Europa and for trying to be in the top half. At the moment they are all meshed in together.

Hopefully the Ndidi injury is not too serious and you get Vardy back soon!

Our defending for those short corners they kept doing was nearly the end of me. Every single one we just stood off them and seemed surprised they kept doing it
Exactly.
You have to keep 10yds from the taker, but the 'receiver'...who was also about 10 yds away from the taker, was fair game.
By all means have Godfrey(?) stood where he did on At least 5 occasions, but once it was passed to the Leicester guy and it was the same move time after time, dive in on him...and Godfrey likes a tackle as we saw...and put him, ball and all through the electronic Ad. board.
Dweryhouse Lane Fields 101- how hard can it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.