Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Final thing ill say about this match, we seriously are unbalanced without Digne at left back, Godfrey has been terrific but need to find a different spot for him. Digne up there as best left back in the league. Digne gets the best out of Richy too.

Mina and Keane are terrific

They had Robbie Savage on, what did you expect. To be fair we didn't play well and they did.
I don’t disagree that they were the better team but the commentators absolutely wanted them to score and we cleared one for a corner to an audible sigh from the commentator that can’t even pronounce the names of his own family I’m sure

We just played a game of football at the highest level without a midfield and, in the end, we were unfortunate not to steal a win.
We needed Allan for those 20 minutes after half time to drive us on. That was a point won, we don’t have any strength in depth but what we had was enough to get us a point.
We need to get rid of the deadwood that is holding us back and then invest in players who will move us forward.

Was that a potential knee injury for Ndidi? Looked like one of those where they walk off looking OK then you hear their season's over.

I'm not gonna overreact.

That's a decent point. We didn't play well for large chunks of the game, and still could have nicked it at the end.

They have scored because of an error. We know Pickford has one in him, but for once, I am surprised. It wasn't like earlier in the season when he was throwing them in. He's been extremely solid now ever since that Leeds game at home, I'd say, and today he was actually looking very commanding and then, out of nothing, the mistake to give away the corner (like Davies did against Wolves) and then the mistake to not save the shot. Fortunately, he got his head screwed back on. Now on Carlo to deem whether Olsen gets an extended run in the side.

But, the goal had been coming because we sat too deep. I've said this before, but we are simply not good enough for too many chunks of time after the break in matches. We invited tons of pressure and it told. That shouldn't be in the gameplan. I'm not blaming Carlo, not really blaming anyone. It's just a team thing that needs to change.

Leicester, by my book, are the best side to turn up at Goodison this season, in terms of an all-round performance, yet we've got a point and could have gone and won it at the end. Really, DCL has to score that.

Anyway, we take the point and move on. Newcastle is massive. Did James go straight down the tunnel? Hope it's nothing if indeed he did, because we'll need him against them.

Main shame is that James goal didn't go on to be a winner.

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers, speaking to BT Sport:

I thought we deserved a point. We made a good start to the game, it was a bit scruffy but they had that moment of quality, so we had to regroup again. We had some good patterns but we didn't make the goalkeeper work so much in the first half.

"We should've gone on and won the game, that was maybe two points dropped for us but they're a really good side - but if you can't win, don't lose.

"They are strong on set-pieces and when you let quality players get on the ball, they can hurt you but you can just see the development in the team and the quality of the game, so I'm happy for the players.

"It's a big credit to our players that they were able to open Everton up. We have good players with a good mentality and I thought overall we were excellent in the game.

"You come away to play against a top team and get a point and if you can't win it you just move on."
Made good adjustments did Rodgers, pushed his full backs up made our wingers defend, Tielemans and Mendy sat allowing Maddison to run the show. Won the tactical battle big time in that second half.

We just played a game of football at the highest level without a midfield and, in the end, we were unfortunate not to steal a win.
We needed Allan for those 20 minutes after half time to drive us on. That was a point won, we don’t have any strength in depth but what we had was enough to get us a point.
We need to get rid of the deadwood that is holding us back and then invest in players who will move us forward.

We have been trying to do this a work in progress since Koeman got sacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.