2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season I said Iwobi was one of our worst players of the PL era. And he was. He's transformed this season. How many players had Carlo made better? Just about everyone apart from Pickford

Even Pickford though, since Olsen has come in, hasn’t been that bad. Last season he was dropping the ball in his net most games. He seems to have improved from that low bar at least.

Last season I said Iwobi was one of our worst players of the PL era. And he was. He's transformed this season. How many players had Carlo made better? Just about everyone apart from Pickford

He`s completely turned around Keane and DCL for starters.

Holgate looks like he`s coming back into his best form, as is Digne.

However, I don`t think even Ancelotti can work his magic on the Icelandic fraud.

Been performing well, just wish he’d start finding the net more, that was his 4th for us and just his 2nd league goal, both against Wolves

Had our best game for us yesterday I thought. Great work rate defensively, strong in protecting the ball and was very composed when using it.

The work Carlo has done on the squad I think is typified in the improvements in his game. Very impressed

I went one further and said I thought the money we paid for him made it the worst deal in the clubs history. Happy to say I was wrong and can think of much worse now. I do still think we overpaid based on assists and goals scored but he gives us a great balance as the fact he is prepared to carry ball gets us up the pitch and his tracking back is very important. If he can bring that and improve his numbers I will be made up to say he has justified the deal. He’s not there yet though.

Been performing well, just wish he’d start finding the net more, that was his 4th for us and just his 2nd league goal, both against Wolves

...agree, that is something I highlighted last week. His first goal at Goodison against Wolves is exactly what he needs to be doing regularly, we broke on the right and he bust a gut getting in the box from the left to convert a header. It’s hard work, but it’s what the likes of Lampard & Richarlison made a habit of.

...worth adding his interplay with Rodriguez. There seems a blend & Rodriguez might support that confidence you highlight.

Yes I agree. I actually thought yesterday he could have got even further forward and given James an outlet. We needed someone to stretch the pitch and he was the obvious candidate. It's good he's getting into the box though, and another who you think "there's goals there". As we all know, to go on and be a really top team you need a variety of scorers. Im delighted are Cb's are chipping in, but more from your Iwobi's is really helpful.

Just re-watched the goal again, his movement is absolutely class.

Fires off the quick inside ball to James and then sprints into the box.

You only see players full of confidence doing that, and really wanting to get in to those positions and to take ownership.

And that's not to mention the quality of that finish.

Absolutely brilliant stuff.

Seeing him get lots of love on twitter makes me happy. He always seemed to attract dogs abuse from the majority. I know he was poor quite a bit last season but always felt people really targeted him over other useless performers.

One thing that put me off him last season was him jumping out of challenges and strolling about at a time we had plenty of strollers in the midfield lacking any kind of fight/commitment.

His end product / crossing is still pretty average for a team looking to push for top 4/6 but he's certainly offering the team more & looks happier than he did last year.

At worst he's turning into an actual decent squad option if we invest in a top level wide player which you couldnt have said 6-12 months ago.

Just re-watched the goal again, his movement is absolutely class.

Fires off the quick inside ball to James and then sprints into the box.

You only see players full of confidence doing that, and really wanting to get in to those positions and to take ownership.

And that's not to mention the quality of that finish.

Absolutely brilliant stuff.
This, his movement off the ball was fantastic

Yes I agree. I actually thought yesterday he could have got even further forward and given James an outlet. We needed someone to stretch the pitch and he was the obvious candidate. It's good he's getting into the box though, and another who you think "there's goals there". As we all know, to go on and be a really top team you need a variety of scorers. Im delighted are Cb's are chipping in, but more from your Iwobi's is really helpful.

Follow what you are saying, but it could have been down to Carlo's master plan for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.