Match Thread POSTPONED: Everton v Manchester City - Preview only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think tonights' match is a free hit.

I would love us to win, score seven and go top, but honestly 12 points out of a possible 12 in the last 4 games against quality team (the first three) and a desperate team looking for it's first win of the campaign, was simultaneously unexpected and brilliant.

In previous seasons we would have drawn one, won one and lost one of the first three and then lost to Sheffield United, and now been under enormous pressure to get a result from the City game.

Instead, we have won four, sit second, confidence is high, and yes, we are minus Digne, Richarlison, Allan and James. However Godfrey, Bernard, Davies and Sigurdson have stepped up to the plate and here we are, all relaxed and thinking hey, let's throw on some fresh legs, put some of the stalwarts on the bench, and see where we are after 60 minutes.

I'm probably being a tad too optimistic, but it's Christmas...:cheers:

I would take a strong defensively minded hard earned draw with this. It will have been a boss Christmas either way and without some of our key players. Anything above that and well i will be absolutely ecstatic and orgasmic.

I don't think we've got enough quality to win tonight. Without richarlison I just don't think we'll cause them enough problems. Our best hope is set pieces.

Whoever is fit enough to play he'll play them. I'm sure between Carlo and the fitness team they'll know whose still got something left in the tanks and who is running on empty and desperately needs a rest.

Hopefully the players have the attitude of "I don't want a rest and I want to play" because it's that kind of attitude which creates a winning attitude.

We have options to rotate, it's just some of the options aren't great such as Kenny and Tosun. I'm sure Gordon will get another chance, Bernard will surely come in. Maybe Nkounkou & Branthwaite will be under consideration as well.

We still need to put a competitive side out because its no good rotating and getting slammed into oblivion for 2 reasons, goal difference and confidence.

We need another big effort from whoever starts tonight and those in the bench will play a part as well.

I honestly think it will b a case of who is fit for this after the amount of games we have just had. I got the last line up right I'll have a go here.

Pickford
Coleman
Keane
Holgate
Godfrey

Iwobi
Davies
Doucore
Gomes
Bernard

DCL

Wouldn't surprise me if Tosun started though there has to be a game where Dom is rested he could come on for the last half hour. Depends on his fitness...
I can defo see that being a good shout for the defence. City haven't got a target man up front so Mina's strengths are somewhat negated and Holgate's pace will be useful against their smaller nippier forward players.

You're also right about Dom probably needing a rest. I would have thought the same would be true about doucoure who's got a lot of minutes in his legs but somehow he doesn't seem to tire.

I can defo see that being a good shout for the defence. City haven't got a target man up front so Mina's strengths are somewhat negated and Holgate's pace will be useful against their smaller nippier forward players.

You're also right about Dom probably needing a rest. I would have thought the same would be true about doucoure who's got a lot of minutes in his legs but somehow he doesn't seem to tire.
We can rest them after the west ham game. We will have enough players for the fa cup

Some changes bound to happen tonight, due to the fixture congestion and injuries, but you won't hear classy Carlo cryarsing about it, unlike the tuetonic tit or fraudiola. Funny how Der reds have got more rest time between games over the festive period isn't it?

I just don't know what changes carlo will make, and I'm not even going to try and second guess what he does - i just hope the lads selected have a real go tonight, as this city side, whilst undoubtedly talented and pacey, have got some defensive weaknesses that we should try to exploit.

I think flash did enough to continue in the side, Bernie could also come in?
I might even try Nkounkou at lb and push God Benfrey into midfield (or Coleman and holgate on the right side) - we just need fresh legs and a bit of pace to soak up then counter quickly.

Best of luck toffees - been a boss Christmas so far, keep on keepin on!

Status
Not open for further replies.