CL Play off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wooooo chill out, never said i agreed with it, just said look what happend to Blackpool. It is unfair to the team that finishes 4th, however as an Evertonian, we'd be in a Champions League playoff now

As an Evertonian, i care about what's good for football and what's fair. I don't want to be like the Kopites and get into things unjustifiably.

To be fair, 2nd, 3rd and 4th going into the "Champions" League is already a mockery of any "Champions" League.
Why not have a play-off between 4-7th? After all, if you finish 4th you haven't been good enough to come in the top 3 and everyone knows the rules at the start of the season.
On the plus side it would massively open up financial competitiveness in the Premier League, would reduce the amount of end of season dead-rubbers and would be a massive financial boost for the teams involved in the Play-Offs (two full house two leg games followed by a Wembley Final). What's not to like?
Never mind just ourselves it would give a serious chance to teams coming up. 7th would not be beyond any promoted team if they had a strong enough season.

As an Evertonian, i care about what's good for football and what's fair. I don't want to be like the Kopites and get into things unjustifiably.

Well as long as we play fair and do what is good for football then all will be fine in the world. (See FIFA & FA Corruption & Man City for more details)

Nah it's not fair.

Top 4 clubs because they have a chance of winning it.

We need to look at the already ludicrous ways that some teams get into europe.

This new season we'll have two championship clubs in Europe - Birmingham and Blackpool (unless they give it to Fulham).

That's just a joke. Ok, you can say that brum deserve it for winning a cup, but if you ask me they should forfeit that right by getting relegated. The UEFA cup shouldn't be just a group of foreign teams making up numbers. It should go to 5, 6, and 7th places. What chance do Birmingham/Blackpool have in the UEFA cup when they've already proven over a season that there are at least 17 better teams than them?

Same in the fair play league; Blackpool should lose their right to Europe by relegation.

Nah it's not fair.

This new season we'll have two championship clubs in Europe - Birmingham and Blackpool (unless they give it to Fulham).

That's just a joke. Ok, you can say that brum deserve it for winning a cup, but if you ask me they should forfeit that right by getting relegated. The UEFA cup shouldn't be just a group of foreign teams making up numbers. It should go to 5, 6, and 7th places. What chance do Birmingham/Blackpool have in the UEFA cup when they've already proven over a season that there are at least 17 better teams than them?

Same in the fair play league; Blackpool should lose their right to Europe by relegation.

I agree with this. I would like to see to Cup Winners Cup brought back aswell

Nah it's not fair.

The UEFA Cup needs massively overhauling in lots of ways, but that isn't one of them. Birmingham earned their right to be in there.

In truth...I would love to see...

The team who finishes top enter a Champions League

The next 5 teams for example, enter the UEFA Cup

The cup winners enter the Cup Winners Cup

That's pretty much how it should be to solve all issues. Apart from what if a team qualifies for both cups...hmm...I'm not Sepp Blatter, ask someone else ;-)

The Fair Play award can swivel

In truth...I would love to see...

The team who finishes top enter a Champions League

The next 5 teams for example, enter the UEFA Cup

The cup winners enter the Cup Winners Cup

That's pretty much how it should be to solve all issues. Apart from what if a team qualifies for both cups...hmm...I'm not Sepp Blatter, ask someone else ;-)

Yep, it should just work like it used to. I liked the old system.

Sign of the times that Liverpool weren't against the idea.

As for the 4th CL play off spot: you can imagine the decisions made by refs and officials in the play offs if one of the Big Three or Liverpool were involved in it. The PL would find a way for business as usual.

On a side note - who else thinks that if this rule somehow applies we will finish 4th in the first season with it, but lose the playoff?

What a load of crap!!!

Top 4 teams = best 4 sides in the league over 38 games simple as that. Top 4 should get champions league can you imagine our squad against Barcelona????

Now that would be funny....Seamus 'worldclass' Coleman

i personally think it should go like this;

Champions League, first in prem, FA Cup Winners, League Cup Winners,
EUFA , 2nd,3rd,4th,5th in prem + both losing cup finalists - play offs , winner = champions league , the next 3 = EUFA cup.

trophy winners in the major competition, runners up in eufa.

Champions League, first in prem, FA Cup Winners, League Cup Winners,
EUFA , 2nd,3rd,4th in prem + both losing cup finalists - play offs , winner = champions league , the rest = EUFA cup.

trophy winners in the major competition, runners up in eufa.

No, just no.

There's no way the Carling Cup winners should take priority over the runners up in the Premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.