2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not great because it is a completely insane debate.

I'd get it if we had gone out and smashed two teams off the park but our attacking play was pretty meh in both games. We scored once from a penalty, once from a corner and once from open play. And even then the open play one was a goalkeeping error. As was the PK. So to suggest we should leave out our best creator on the evidence of these two games is insane.
I'm always of the opinion James should start but the fact there are split opinions is a reflection on how well the team is doing despite missing by far our most creative player.

It's more a reflection of the amount of wham on here...GoT is no barometer to judge the team by.

No hold on a minute - I play a lot of Football Manager, I know what i'm talking about!

Love the team at the moment, and literally zero chances creates in 2 games versus two top 4 teams in the league.

I'm a James supporter, but he doesn't need to come back this week, I'd have him start on the bench and ease him into it. Besides there's A LOT of christmas games to come and now's not the time get him injured again.

Also it IS ok to have one of your best players on the bench, Real Madrid have no problem putting their players on the bench for various reasons, Ronaldo included. You can't play every game.

I'd get it if we had gone out and smashed two teams off the park but our attacking play was pretty meh in both games. We scored once from a penalty, once from a corner and once from open play. And even then the open play one was a goalkeeping error. As was the PK. So to suggest we should leave out our best creator on the evidence of these two games is insane.

It's absolutely not an insane debate & to argue in isolation that we didn't create much in nonsense. You have to factor in the other side of the coin. We have been extremely solid, composed with a well maintained shape against two strong attacking teams.

Undoubtedly with James in we will create more, but the trade off has to be considered. We cant function as a unit, as we did the last two games, he gives the opposition a clear focus of attack because of the space he leaves & others end up out of position in turn, usually digging out the exposed full-back.

For me, he needs to be a horses for courses player, should start selectively where teams will sit back, but if we are to be pressed or turned very quickly, the juice is just not worth the squeeze

Of course James gets in our best team. I don't think that's even a debate.

The issue is more that James can't play every game over the next few weeks so we need to find ways to be competitive without him, and so far we have.

Let him get back to full fitness then manage him so he stays fresh. There will be days where unfortunately we have to leave him on the bench for the bigger picture.

I think Iwobi has done enough to keep his place out on the right so I'd say it's time for James to be given a start in the middle and see how he does there.

Gylfi has done well but let's be honest, Rodriguez is 50,000 times the player (I didn't want to be too harsh on Gylfi) he is and so as not to upset the new found balance we have with Iwobi working well I'd say James slots in the number 10 position.

At some point though Ancelotti is going to make 4/5 changes to his team due tk the Christmas period. Its just whether he starts to tinker Saturday or waits for the game against Man Utd or Sheffield Utd.

We've got a great chance to pick up maximum points against Arsenal and Sheffield Utd imo and a chance to progress into the semi finals. Ideally you want your best players on the team for all of those games

Status
Not open for further replies.