2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

9 times out of ten he is good enough now. Has the occasional stinker, but as someone else said, normally when Mina is next to him. They are just too slow to play together

Im not sure I completely agree. Keane gets away with so much, its like nobody can have a go at him.

He was appauling at wekeend, and was just as bad against United, Southampton and Newcastle.

Just not good enough. Great if we are to sit and defend all game, like Burnley would.

Keane & Mina now, are they getting any better ?? Can we see us going into CL football...even Europa footy with them ?!

Fast, good footballers would destroy them both.

Some games they will be fine, so as a 3rd choice maybe.

Im not sure I completely agree. Keane gets away with so much, its like nobody can have a go at him.

He was appauling at wekeend, and was just as bad against United, Southampton and Newcastle.

Just not good enough. Great if we are to sit and defend all game, like Burnley would.

Keane & Mina now, are they getting any better ?? Can we see us going into CL football...even Europa footy with them ?!

Yeh, we just need better cb’s
Annoyingly, it’s too soon for holgate and Godfrey to be first choice pairing

Basically Keane has cut out the massive rickets he used to make, and it's somehow convinced people that he's now good. He's still slow, still doesn't see danger, still never covers anyone else, and still isn't exactly brave. He's probably been our best centre half over the last 6 months or so, but that isn't really a big deal considering the competition. Holgate was looking decent last season. I'm not entirely convinced yet that he's good enough long term, but I certainly think he has some attributes that are useful to us for now.

Basically Keane has cut out the massive rickets he used to make, and it's somehow convinced people that he's now good. He's still slow, still doesn't see danger, still never covers anyone else, and still isn't exactly brave. He's probably been our best centre half over the last 6 months or so, but that isn't really a big deal considering the competition. Holgate was looking decent last season. I'm not entirely convinced yet that he's good enough long term, but I certainly think he has some attributes that are useful to us for now.

Yea I agree with you. Its like we could make 1 super CB if we did a 'cut n shunt' on them all.

I was behind Mina till this last month or so. I felt he was quite consistant...but his form has dropped off the cliff, and he seems to be always in and out of fitness. He seems to have gone slower...and all of a sudden doesn't even seem that strong!!

Last season against Benteke I think, he looked a beast and soo strong.....now just looks weak, even slower, and never switched on.

I usually loathe people suggesting him playing at holding midfield but would actually consider playing him or Godfrey at the base of the midfield 3 for a bit given I don't trust either Gomes or Sigurdsson to help us control a midfield.

Hope we get to see him, Keane and Godfrey in a back 3 just to see if it works. Think it would be a complete back 3 if they get use to system. Keane is great in the air, Holgate can bring the ball out and be the more aggressive one and Godfrey has pace to burn but if Carlo does stick with a back 3 we may see a few bedding in performances like the 2nd half v Fulham which wont be pretty but could be worth it.

Mina needs binning, and Holgate re instated asap.
The defence also need to actually start talking to each other during the game..doesn't seem to happen much at present.

This is a good point - Holgate is quite a dominant figure, so you would hope that with some confidence he will be the one that can direct and organise the back 5.

They all individually had ok games (sans Mina), but as a group they were putrid. A week on the training pitch to work it out, and Keane centrally with Godfrey and Holgate either side is the way forward if we are to persist with the back three.

Status
Not open for further replies.