2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes??

What on earth is this? Yeah would be boss watching him spend big money on a striker who is the polar opposite of what you need to fill a role (Beattie) or a defender who he has evidently never seen play (Kroldrup).

Honestly there are some mad shouts on here but this one is right up there!

Moyes has a good eye for a player - like Rangnick I think he could easily go from a full on manager to some DOF type appointment.

I have no doubt had we given him the money we gave Walsh + Brands we would look a lot better on the pitch.

Moyes has a good eye for a player - like Rangnick I think he could easily go from a full on manager to some DOF type appointment.

I have no doubt had we given him the money we gave Walsh + Brands we would look a lot better on the pitch.
That was years ago mate, and the system he used for finding players back then just would'nt work these days, you would need a massive network of scouts across multiple countries for it to work. Also he isn't involved with recruitment at West Ham, that is a big part of their problem and a huge complaint from the fans, it's the board and others behind the scenes doing the recruitment.

That's all well and good. I can't disagree with much.

However, people can only get time if they keep improving us.

Whatever way you look at it, we've stagnated under Brands too.

Now that's obviously not all on him and he has had his hands tied to a certain extent. But in each window he has made some dreadful decisions to take risks which have ultimately cost us.

He seems to have an approach that the team will be good enough to get away with it. Well, they aren't. And that's been proved time and time again.

In January we need at least one player, probably two. The issue is we have a DoF (and manager) who don't like doing business in January. Well why not push the boat out in the last few days of the last window and really, really make a statement. Keep the momentum going etc.

One suspension is all it's actually taken for this team to go from looking like genuine top-four contenders to mid-table fodder. That's not on Richarlison.
I don’t entirely disagree with you either.

We are generally too quick to pull the trigger and look where that’s got us! Some of the best managers have been given time initially and got there in the end and I’m sure that’s the same for Directors of football.
Yes he has made mistakes, But he’s also made quality signings too. Richy, Digne, Niels, branthwaite, etc
Gomes did well on loan then was signed permanently and the vast majority of us were happy at the time but he’s been tat since the injury, he must have despaired with the JP Gbamin injury too...
I’m sure he’d have got every dept covered if he could last summer but the reality is they had to prioritise but by improving our midfield it was at the expense of everywhere else it seems we need to reinforce.
I’m sure he’d have got rid of Tosun if another club actually wanted to take him/ he wasn’t injured but he still needed to reduce the size of the squad.
I do agree that more work needs to be done by him in January (ins and outs where possible) and that we have to see progress this season but in the same way we shouldn’t have got carried away by the first 4 games, we shouldn’t be getting the knives out after a few poor results/performances.

I don’t entirely disagree with you either.

We are generally too quick to pull the trigger and look where that’s got us! Some of the best managers have been given time initially and got there in the end and I’m sure that’s the same for Directors of football.
Yes he has made mistakes, But he’s also made quality signings too. Richy, Digne, Niels, branthwaite, etc
Gomes did well on loan then was signed permanently and the vast majority of us were happy at the time but he’s been tat since the injury, he must have despaired with the JP Gbamin injury too...
I’m sure he’d have got every dept covered if he could last summer but the reality is they had to prioritise but by improving our midfield it was at the expense of everywhere else it seems we need to reinforce.
I’m sure he’d have got rid of Tosun if another club actually wanted to take him/ he wasn’t injured but he still needed to reduce the size of the squad.
I do agree that more work needs to be done by him in January (ins and outs where possible) and that we have to see progress this season but in the same way we shouldn’t have got carried away by the first 4 games, we shouldn’t be getting the knives out after a few poor results/performances.

The only reason I can really see to keep him on and give him a new deal is that if we're gonna stick with the DoF model, then what's the point in ripping it up and going with another bloke who does things completely differently.

But that's a pretty poor indictment of Brands, really.

Bar Digne, none of our 4-5 best players would be here if not for the respective managers they signed under.

Status
Not open for further replies.