2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iwobi has shown he has some quality. Like the 4-2 win against Brighton where he was involved in both James goals. But those plays were simple in concept because it was just get it to the byline and cross to the far post. So he does well when he and the team are on the same page.

But it seems like there are times when the ball gets to him and he feels like he has to make something happen that's when he takes long, or makes the wrong pass into the wrong area or to the wrong player. Everyone else on the pitch is like - make the simple pass! But Iwobi is like I'm going to get by this guy first!

So its decision making, composure, skills...said it many times already. physically he's capable, has a good engine and can last a game. Imo I think his first thought needs to be possession first.

Worst thing for me today was his inability to make any sort of connection with Digne. Digne overlapped him a couple of times, running 30 or 40yds to do so and he's cutting inside and just running in to a dead end.

This!

Trying to hard, got a quality player outside him in Digne. Got to use the simple option. Simple as. He wasn’t the worst player yesterday. Unnecessary hate which I don’t like on our own players because he’s no Schneiderlin. He puts a shift in I think if he took his foot off the gas a little and just played the game a bit simpler he would get better rewards.

Trying to hard, got a quality player outside him in Digne. Got to use the simple option. Simple as. He wasn’t the worst player yesterday. Unnecessary hate which I don’t like on our own players because he’s no Schneiderlin. He puts a shift in I think if he took his foot off the gas a little and just played the game a bit simpler he would get better rewards.
For me Gordon is a better alternative to iwobi.

He shouldn’t get anywhere near the machday squad again. He’s had plenty of chances and only ever showed anything in easy games against lower division opposition. Needs to be moved on in January for whatever we can get for him.

I think that’s it for me with him now.

As you say it’s not like he hasn’t been given chances, he’s had plenty now. For the first few months you expect a bit of complacency as he settles in and gets used to his new surroundings, team mates etc.... he’s had that period now, the lad is a so called ‘experienced‘ professional with PL, CL and Europa League experience behind him, if he was 20 years of age and hadn’t played at this level you’d say fair is fair, he’s showed glimpses and deserves more time but that’s not the case. 15 months into his contract and he’s still struggling to make an impact and not cutting in when he’s selected. Proper dud signing from Brands it seems.

Worst thing for me today was his inability to make any sort of connection with Digne. Digne overlapped him a couple of times, running 30 or 40yds to do so and he's cutting inside and just running in to a dead end.

There was one occasion where he did exactly that and I thought "are you actually this stupid".

Digne was an easy pass down the line completely open, but he come in field gets surrounded by 3 Saints players and just passed the ball to one of them. Then throws his arms up in the air like it was some great injustice against him.

I see everyone been pleasantly reminded the likes of iwobi & sigurdsson dont have the right attitude to stay in this team.
You look at how someone like Davies came in for Allan against Brighton, if we were missing Allan for more games id have no qualms putting Davies in purrly down to he wants to work for this team.
Iwobi & Sigurdsson are passengers, useful for 20 minute cameos and thats about it

Iwobi has shown he has some quality. Like the 4-2 win against Brighton where he was involved in both James goals. But those plays were simple in concept because it was just get it to the byline and cross to the far post. So he does well when he and the team are on the same page.

But it seems like there are times when the ball gets to him and he feels like he has to make something happen that's when he takes long, or makes the wrong pass into the wrong area or to the wrong player. Everyone else on the pitch is like - make the simple pass! But Iwobi is like I'm going to get by this guy first!

So its decision making, composure, skills...said it many times already. physically he's capable, has a good engine and can last a game. Imo I think his first thought needs to be possession first.

This!

This is exactly how I see it.

You could see how frustrated he was also, not a good day for him or the team.

I see everyone been pleasantly reminded the likes of iwobi & sigurdsson dont have the right attitude to stay in this team.
You look at how someone like Davies came in for Allan against Brighton, if we were missing Allan for more games id have no qualms putting Davies in purrly down to he wants to work for this team.
Iwobi & Sigurdsson are passengers
, useful for 20 minute cameos and thats about it

"Wobes" wants to work for the team, you could see that from his reaction to cockingup all the time. He puts a shift in but just rarely makes the right choice when he has the ball.

For me Gordon is a better alternative to iwobi.

Gordon and even Bernard are better footballers so absolutely.

It annoys me that there are a lot of players at the top leagues in European football that are there purely based on athleticism than actual skill and do well.

Can't believe we actually paid decent money for this lad. He is shocking. Arsenal must have been laughing their heads off. Ship out ASAP.

Put him towards the deposit on Saha in January.
They will love him.
Roll up, roll up, get your Cenk and Iwobi here, 2 for 1 all day Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.